Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

Unregistered 23-04-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65679)
To those who keep posting about how long the wait is, why you havent got any reply etc, I personally feel that you will not fit into the working culture of MINDEF. This culture is all about patience and perseverance. Success comes to those who wait and can afford to wait. Meanwhile, focus on your exams (for soon to be fresh grads) and job search (for those experienced hires)

You can say all you want about patience and perseverance, but have you not considered that certain people just do not have the luxury of waiting for too long? All they ask for are regular updates from MINDEF HR on how their applications are moving along, so that they can make informed decisions on whether to continue waiting or whether to move on.

If rival companies offer these people job offers before MINDEF does, they may be forced to accept the offers as there is no guarantee that there will be jobs waiting for them in MINDEF. At the end of the day, it is MINDEF's loss.

Unregistered 25-04-2015 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65854)
You can say all you want about patience and perseverance, but have you not considered that certain people just do not have the luxury of waiting for too long? All they ask for are regular updates from MINDEF HR on how their applications are moving along, so that they can make informed decisions on whether to continue waiting or whether to move on.

If rival companies offer these people job offers before MINDEF does, they may be forced to accept the offers as there is no guarantee that there will be jobs waiting for them in MINDEF. At the end of the day, it is MINDEF's loss.

I don't think mindef has any 'rivalries' in its field. For each position, there is hundreds of applicants vying for that vacancy, in many sense, people are willing to wait because they still have a job. Mindef has no loss actually, it will always be able to find someone to fill in the gap. The waiting time is long because hiring managers take a long time to revert, sometimes hr has no choice over how long the wait is. The hiring managers are senior commanders, hr dont really rush them for a decision. Just saying, it is no fault of mindef hr for the long waiting time. Processes are processes, they cannot be expedited.

Unregistered 25-04-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65065)
Hey np, just sharing what i know, which may not be accurate since hiring managers all have diff selection criteria, most i know are not academic worshippers. When i first got in to Mindef, my degree was not a prestigious one and i only got a pass degree but i went in with more than 5yrs of experience from another ministry and they saw pass my credentials, even though i had 'stronger' opponents, most inportantly the hiring manager must see something in you, they must see ur value and ur integrity which far surpasses the need for excellent academic achievements. I was not even from the top 3 unis of singapore and there are many more like me.

That being said, i dont want to raise ur hopes too high, i will recommend u you to continue ur job hunt elsewhere if u have been waiting for 2 weeks. In fact, dont stop ur job hunt because there is no guarrantee u can get in anywhere unless u sign the offer letter. All the best!

Hi there, just wanted to say, i got the job in the end. thanks for the advice and perhaps, see you around :)

Unregistered 25-04-2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65911)
Hi there, just wanted to say, i got the job in the end. thanks for the advice and perhaps, see you around :)

Congrats! Which camp are u in? Or if u r not comfortable revealing, is it in the west? Im at joo koon, see you around and all the best!

Unregistered 26-04-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Hahaha. You know, if you dont like Mindef, you can always find a job elsewhere in those 'rival companies'. If you cant wait, then withdraw your application and let the rest of us have the job.

Unregistered 26-04-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65679)
To those who keep posting about how long the wait is, why you havent got any reply etc, I personally feel that you will not fit into the working culture of MINDEF. This culture is all about patience and perseverance. Success comes to those who wait and can afford to wait. Meanwhile, focus on your exams (for soon to be fresh grads) and job search (for those experienced hires)

dude, this is bs, you can't compare anxiety over job-hunting to fitting into a work culture. different context la.

Unregistered 26-04-2015 05:06 PM

Any cute and hunky dudes in MINDEF?

Unregistered 30-04-2015 08:37 AM

Is it very hard to get in as a DXO HR executive with a engineering degree?

Unregistered 30-04-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66102)
Is it very hard to get in as a DXO HR executive with a engineering degree?

There are no HR positions available now, u may double check with mindef, and yes not easy to get in without HR experience, degree wise doesnt matter.

Unregistered 04-05-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66124)
There are no HR positions available now, u may double check with mindef, and yes not easy to get in without HR experience, degree wise doesnt matter.

In the DXO website there are positions for HR Executive, how did you know that there are no HR positions available now?

Unregistered 04-05-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

You have been thinking too big about yourselves. MINDEF loss only when people like LHL choose elsewhere. Without you, MINDEF keep running and run better.

You are begging a job from Mindef and please stooge and suc coc.

Regards
CBServicePervert

Unregistered 08-05-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66124)

How did you know there are no HR positions now

Unregistered 03-06-2015 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65931)
Congrats! Which camp are u in? Or if u r not comfortable revealing, is it in the west? Im at joo koon, see you around and all the best!

Is the office in Joo Koon near the entrance? within working distance from mrt?

Unregistered 05-06-2015 04:26 PM

Hi all,

i just graduated from SIT engineering last year with 1st class Hons, i just applied a job as a data scientist and even place salary lower around 2.8k. They told me they will contact me in 2 weeks, do u guys think i stand a reasonable chance? i applied many gov jobs all no reply :/ ...

Unregistered 16-06-2015 08:39 AM

Dxo portfolio management

Did anyone apply for this job? It has been two weeks since dxo informed me that they r processing my application... How long will they take to call for interview?

Unregistered 16-06-2015 06:13 PM

Got shortlisted for a psychometric test.. Anyone got the email?

Unregistered 18-06-2015 05:30 PM

Unsuccessful application

Hi

Will mindef hr inform if we fail the test? It has been a month since I sat for the test and I have yet to hear anything from them.

Thanks for any advice given

Unregistered 20-06-2015 12:54 AM

Hi all,

For those who have passed the medical check up stage, can tell me what does the medical check up consists of?

Because I have a really serious phobia of blood and needles. If they are going to draw my blood, I need to be mentally prepared. It's really stupid I know... =(

Unregistered 20-06-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68696)
Hi all,

For those who have passed the medical check up stage, can tell me what does the medical check up consists of?

Because I have a really serious phobia of blood and needles. If they are going to draw my blood, I need to be mentally prepared. It's really stupid I know... =(

Any per rectal exam? I am scared. Need to be mentally prepared.

Unregistered 22-06-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68400)
Got shortlisted for a psychometric test.. Anyone got the email?

Me too! Which slot have you chosen?

Unregistered 01-07-2015 11:59 PM

Got shortlisted for an interview for the position that requires degree in comms but mine is a Math degree. What are my chances?

Unregistered 02-07-2015 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69279)
Got shortlisted for an interview for the position that requires degree in comms but mine is a Math degree. What are my chances?

what position?

if it's corp comms/pr type you need to speak/present yourself well, looking good (esp if you're female) doesn't hurt too.

Unregistered 03-07-2015 11:19 AM

Comms

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69279)

Congrats! I also applied for a comms role but havent had any news. Can i ask how long you waited for the reply and also what level of the comms role did you apply for?

Thank you.

Unregistered 04-07-2015 07:59 PM

Chances of getting HR Executive

Just got a HR job in Tuas South and would actually like to know if I have the chance to join MINDEF for their HR Policy Executive (Remuneration) position.

I have just graduated with a 2nd lower biz (major in HR) degree from local uni and it has been tough for me to get into Mercer/Towers Watsons/Carrots consultancy firms for their C&B teams, so I would like to try MINDEF.

This is my profile:
1. Manpower IC during NS
2. Attained rank of CFC
3. Pes C9L3 - Perm excuse RMJ and Heavy load.

Personally, I missed my National Service life where the pace is so much slower as compared to the corporate world. So at least I can have some time to master my excel skills before I jump out.

Just wanted to know, the position stated "tertiary qualification, preferably in Mathematics/Statistics, Finance or Economics with prior work experience in human resource." but they have actually shortlisted me for the psychometric test.

What are the chances for me to actually get the job at the end? I intend to get the job and study for my C&B professional certificate and then try to apply for Mercer/Towers/Carrots again after 3 years into the job. By then my excel skills should be quite god-like already and will be quite conversant in C&B terms.

Thanks in advance for the advises!

Unregistered 04-07-2015 10:02 PM

psychometric test is done for everyone who applies.

you are not short-listed for anything.

the position might already be filled, but you still have to go for psychometric test.

welcome to Mindef.

Unregistered 04-07-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69440)
psychometric test is done for everyone who applies.

you are not short-listed for anything.

the position might already be filled, but you still have to go for psychometric test.

welcome to Mindef.

Thanks for the insight.

Ok then may I know the process must have underwent till which level then will I be considered as shortlisted? (medical checkup etc etc)

Sorry I have no clue at all.

Again, thanks in advance for your assistance!

Unregistered 05-07-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69441)
Thanks for the insight.

Ok then may I know the process must have underwent till which level then will I be considered as shortlisted? (medical checkup etc etc)

Sorry I have no clue at all.

Again, thanks in advance for your assistance!

Based on my own experience.

Psychometric test means u meet the min. criteria (sg citizen, right qualifications). Written test and interview means u passed the psychometric test (capable of logical thinking, no weird personality, have the right experience, skills set they are looking for). Site preview means u are suitable for the job and are among the top 3 candidates (u can ask them during site preview if u are their top choice or their reserve candidate). Security clearance and medical checkup means they want u but conditional on clearing these two. If either of these two fail means u got some criminal prob/financial prob/family prob or severe medical prob that is likely to affect your work so they won't want u in case u become a liability.

After all that. u will sign on the dotted line and it's confirmed.

Entire process can range from 3-6 months from application. In some cases even 9 months if u attend multiple interviews for different positions.

Good luck!

Unregistered 05-07-2015 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69461)

Psychometric test means u meet the min. criteria (sg citizen, right qualifications). Written test and interview means u passed the psychometric test (capable of logical thinking, no weird personality, have the right experience, skills set they are looking for). Site preview means u are suitable for the job and are among the top 3 candidates (u can ask them during site preview if u are their top choice or their reserve candidate). Security clearance and medical checkup means they want u but conditional on clearing these two. If either of these two fail means u got some criminal prob/financial prob/family prob or severe medical prob that is likely to affect your work so they won't want u in case u become a liability.

Entire process can range from 3-6 months from application. In some cases even 9 months if u attend multiple interviews for different positions.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the comprehensive insight of the process flow!

But if lets say during this 3-6 months period there were to have any changes to my prior work experience as I am also in the midst of changing my full-time job now, will the commanders accept the fact that I have changed my job without having included into the application form when I was applying?

Also, if lets say I would like to do a proper handover for like 2-3 months rather than just to serve the minimum notice period and leave irresponsibly, will MINDEF be willing to allow me to put a 2-3 months long notice period? However, I have indicated "Immediately" for the notice period in my application.

Lastly, I last heard from my DX7 ops mdm before I ORD that the minimum criteria for becoming a DXO is Pes C2L2 but I am Pes C9L3 Perm excuse heavy load and RMJ because of an injury sustained in BMT. However, the injury has already stabilised and not giving me much problem for a civilian lifestyle. I could still jog on a regular basis.

I seriously thank you for your time in resolving my queries with your experiences. Thanks again!

Unregistered 07-07-2015 12:07 AM

DXO application

Hey! I applied for the positions of executive (organizational excellence and innovation) and the other related position (organizational and business excellence). I applied on 4th July, got the computer generated reply of being short listed, then on the 29th I will probably be taking the psychometric test :)

Does anyone know what are the roles and responsibilities for these positions? I come from a quality assurance background in my current job ..

Quite excited about this, haha

Unregistered 07-07-2015 07:52 PM

Any of you went for the medical check up? What will they check for?

Unregistered 22-07-2015 01:11 PM

Hi, can I ask if psychometric test is after the interview?? Any idea what's questions they will ask during the interview?? TIA!

Unregistered 22-07-2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69461)

Good luck!

Hi, I was being told that I'm shortlisted for interview but I have yet to go for any test! So what does this mean???

Unregistered 22-07-2015 06:50 PM

what position did u apply for?

I guess some diploma positions no need psycho test?

Unregistered 03-08-2015 12:28 AM

Hi!

Have been reading through the thread for some time now, it actually gave me some sort of reassurance actually to know that I am in a similar situation as others :)

Went for psychometric test on the 08/07 and I only received a call last Friday (31/07) that I was short-listed for a panel interview on 06/08 for 2 positions, 1 of which I did not apply for. Had to submit an essay within 48 hours and I was informed that the day of interview I have another essay to write before the panel interview.

Super nervous about it now.

So really the advice to just wait when there is no news is quite true :)

Applied to be a DXO btw.

Unregistered 03-08-2015 11:18 AM

this is DXO thread.

Of cos you applied for DXO lah.

What position you did not apply and yet they call you?

Unregistered 03-08-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70957)
this is DXO thread.

Of cos you applied for DXO lah.

What position you did not apply and yet they call you?

Of course I can't tell you la, smart alec.

Unregistered 03-08-2015 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70946)
Hi!

Have been reading through the thread for some time now, it actually gave me some sort of reassurance actually to know that I am in a similar situation as others :)

Went for psychometric test on the 08/07 and I only received a call last Friday (31/07) that I was short-listed for a panel interview on 06/08 for 2 positions, 1 of which I did not apply for. Had to submit an essay within 48 hours and I was informed that the day of interview I have another essay to write before the panel interview.

Super nervous about it now.

So really the advice to just wait when there is no news is quite true :)

Applied to be a DXO btw.

Hi! I got the exact same offer and will be going for a panel interview on the same day. Just submitted my online essay too. All the best for the interview! :)

Unregistered 04-08-2015 02:35 PM

Hi! (=

I'm wondering... does MINDEF still email those who didn't pass the psychometric test to let them know? It's been over a month and I think I probably didn't do well for the test since I was so panicky that morning...

Unregistered 05-08-2015 12:42 AM

Yes they do. I received an email from them that I wasn't shortlisted. Think it took a month!

Jeorj Walkah Boosh 08-08-2015 04:46 PM

How long before notification?

I went down for the site preview on the 29th of July and have not heard from the unit since. What does this mean? Even if I am not selected for the role, will they provide a rejection notice? Thanks a lot :)