Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

Unregistered 08-09-2023 02:10 AM

Hi, I just went for an interview last week for an AM role (not sure it is which DX rank) and got a verbal offer from the hiring unit. But after reading the thread here about the long waiting time, I am getting despondent. Though it is only a week, I have not heard anything from HR to submit any documents nor security clearance. The hiring unit told me they needed the person to come in quickly though. Will HR delay the process when the role needs to be urgently filled? Should I also be the gan chiong applicant and ask the hiring manager for an update?

Unregistered 08-09-2023 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255446)
Hi, I just went for an interview last week for an AM role (not sure it is which DX rank) and got a verbal offer from the hiring unit. But after reading the thread here about the long waiting time, I am getting despondent. Though it is only a week, I have not heard anything from HR to submit any documents nor security clearance. The hiring unit told me they needed the person to come in quickly though. Will HR delay the process when the role needs to be urgently filled? Should I also be the gan chiong applicant and ask the hiring manager for an update?

Hi I was in the same boat as you. My advise is to work with the hiring manager to expedite the process as they are also worry that they will lose their candidate. The document clearance will be by HR where as the clearance needs to be submitted online via nsportal so it needs time to create the account as well. Even after everytime is cleared, they will also need some time to prepare the actual offer so even the fastest process would take ~2months so do have some patience.

Unregistered 09-09-2023 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255446)

hey don't worry, im sure they are more gan chiong than you because they are aware that the long hiring process can be a deterrence to hiring new candidates because candidates may drop out any time to accept offers that come in earlier. If the unit gave you a verbal offer I think the chances are quite high that they are keen on you so the unit will likely also work with HR to expedite the process!

As for when and whether you shld reach out, I think you may wish to give HR about 1-2 weeks before contacting you for the necessary submissions (documents, g50 etc.). Maybe the hiring process is ongoing and they're still screening for other candidates too. But yeah to address ur concerns it's hard to supersede the administrative process. Wait a bit more! If by 2 weeks time HR don't reach out, you drop them an email and check on the process! Update us

Unregistered 09-09-2023 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255461)
Hi I was in the same boat as you. My advise is to work with the hiring manager to expedite the process as they are also worry that they will lose their candidate. The document clearance will be by HR where as the clearance needs to be submitted online via nsportal so it needs time to create the account as well. Even after everytime is cleared, they will also need some time to prepare the actual offer so even the fastest process would take ~2months so do have some patience.

Thank you for your advice! I received an email yesterday to submit my certs and payslips through impress.ai! Guess it will be another long wait.

Unregistered 09-09-2023 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255541)
Thank you for your advice! I received an email yesterday to submit my certs and payslips through impress.ai! Guess it will be another long wait.

Hi bro, congrats! You're probably halfway through the process I guess?

Are you a fresh grad? :)

Just be patient and all the best!

Unregistered 10-09-2023 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255541)

good. next is security clearance which shld take about 1 month, then contract signing if all is well

Unregistered 10-09-2023 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255577)
Hi bro, congrats! You're probably halfway through the process I guess?

Are you a fresh grad? :)

Just be patient and all the best!

Thank you! This process will train my patience. Lol... by the time I am in, I will be so zen.... hahahaha....

Not a fresh grad. I have about eight years experience in the industry.

Not a bro either. Lol.... Wonder if there's a different pay grade for female DXOs...🤔

Unregistered 10-09-2023 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255606)
good. next is security clearance which shld take about 1 month, then contract signing if all is well

If all is well, then I guess I will begin my 2024 in Mindef. Lol... Got to factor in my two months notice also.... Usually how long will HR takes to give letter of offer after security clearance?

Unregistered 10-09-2023 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255621)
Thank you! This process will train my patience. Lol... by the time I am in, I will be so zen.... hahahaha....

Not a fresh grad. I have about eight years experience in the industry.

Not a bro either. Lol.... Wonder if there's a different pay grade for female DXOs...🤔

No worries! Do update us on your offer when you receive it ok :)

For now, just try to relax and wait patiently first. Can take a break and go holiday with your partner first!

Unregistered 11-09-2023 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255622)
If all is well, then I guess I will begin my 2024 in Mindef. Lol... Got to factor in my two months notice also.... Usually how long will HR takes to give letter of offer after security clearance?

actually u wont know exactly when ur clearance is completed but usually they move fast once it's done

Unregistered 12-09-2023 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 252876)
let me clarify a few things.
first, 6 YOE must be relevant experience. if not, you are just a fresh grad+
second, your 'friend' say easy to get A? meaning your fren isnt a DXO and have no idea what he is talking about, or he is lying to you. and lets say you really do get a A. its, nowhere near 4-6 months. Mindef is known for its low bonuses as compared to other ministries, as the gross salary is slightly higher. so they entice you with salary instead of total packages.

But other ministries are doing "real" and more work than DXO. DXO is really a redundant admin role in MINDEF

Unregistered 13-09-2023 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255743)
But other ministries are doing "real" and more work than DXO. DXO is really a redundant admin role in MINDEF

again, I can cfm you have no idea how MINDEF works. you probably just interacted with some DXO aunties doing clerical work or some DXOs doing very administrative work (salary, leave etc.) and think they 'do nothing much'. Even so, every ministry will have such roles and are necessary. so, let's not be a frog in a well.

to expand your knowledge, please think how policies are created. how public funds are managed. how equipment and spare parts are brought. how military research is conducted. how technical expertise are obtained. how intel is collected. After this thought process, then think if all these can really be all done by military personnel in Singapore's context? or rather, do they need to be all done by military personnel? then think about the size and population of Singapore. then think about what other countries have as an equivalent. then look at the Ukraine War. Who will coordinate logistics, liaise with foreign countries, build diplomatic military relations, conduct big data analysis? if the war happens to us today, do you still think DXOs don't do real work? or is it just because we are currently in peacetime?

hopefully I have expanded your brain even slightly. perhaps you didn't think this thru. or you really didn't care to do your research. or you really take just take peace for granted. i really hope you aint a current DXO. if not its damn sad.

Unregistered 14-09-2023 03:42 PM

Wherever you want to, don't apply for Service delivery division.

the ADs are practically useless, while the DDs just love to camp in their office and not do anything. seriously only the execs, managers are the one doing the work.

clueless AD and DD to lead, always resulting in a big round and wild goose chase. The directors and group chief are just in their ivory tower and chilling around everyday. Ex-Chief Armour officer, a COL from Signals and past COMD CMPB, and parachute director from other ministry and statboard.

All the DX 11 and below are leaving and yet the group chief of the day still likes to go around and invite everyone to his house for cohesion.

never go, kenna condemn. go, kenna arrow. ccb.

this SDD is a new set up and part of reorganisation and conslidation. I managed to rise through the ranks from DX8 to DX11 so you can definitely hear it from me.

heng i already transferred out to navy.

Unregistered 14-09-2023 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255893)

the ADs are practically useless, while the DDs just love to camp in their office and not do anything. seriously only the execs, managers are the one doing the work.

clueless AD and DD to lead, always resulting in a big round and wild goose chase. The directors and group chief are just in their ivory tower and chilling around everyday. Ex-Chief Armour officer, a COL from Signals and past COMD CMPB, and parachute director from other ministry and statboard.

All the DX 11 and below are leaving and yet the group chief of the day still likes to go around and invite everyone to his house for cohesion.

this SDD is a new set up and part of reorganisation and conslidation. I managed to rise through the ranks from DX8 to DX11 so you can definitely hear it from me.

dude that sounds damn cui!!! thanks for sharing lol

Unregistered 14-09-2023 08:16 PM

idk why some ppl here have the misconception that employees here are very free/zuobo.. ok lah maybe there are some anecdotes here that suggest this but i can say that things are not as "relaxed" here as ppl make it out to be. WLB seems to be out of reach for some departments, and it's common to see a lot of ppl OT because work here can be urgent,
demanding and difficult.. so for ppl who are looking for a "free and easy" decent-paying job to coast and zuobo all the day, this is not the place for that. That said, all the best to those who are waiting for their application outcome!

Unregistered 16-09-2023 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255893)

Do share more, is worth applying there?

Unregistered 17-09-2023 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256014)
Do share more, is worth applying there?

not the poster above. from what I know, this 'division' was set-up mainly to service MINDEF ppl only. it quite new and probably a big project of someone high up. the intent was to alleviate employees in MINDEF from the petty small administrative stuffs like organizing events (cater food etc.), buying office supplies/pantry stuffs, managing some contracts like bus services, facilities management with contractors etc. so they set up a brand new 'admin' division to serve MINDEF ppl.

that said, it can be argued it is necessary, or it is not. I admit I'm not an insider so I don't know how necessary it is or how disruptive it was previously to handle all these as a secondary job role. my main gripe is that why is it set-up for MINDEF ppl only and not for other 4 services. another gripe I have is how easy is for MINDEF to come up with new positions and get more budget for hiring. but when the services wants more manpower, there is always 'budget' considerations, numerous red tapes. oh wells, I'm a small fry DXEA fry, just ranting.

so back to the point, from what I know, employees/units/branches in MINDEF will go to SDD to help do procurement and raise requests. in a way it's quite routine and you mainly work independently. basically you will be a helpdesk to service MINDEF ppl. so if you are someone who likes routine stuffs, you can try.

Unregistered 18-09-2023 10:51 PM

Hi everyone, early this yr i had resigned as a dxo's due to some culture issues and now im planning to apply it again as a dxo with in a different role and unit. do your think it worth trying?

Unregistered 18-09-2023 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255766)
to expand your knowledge, please think how policies are created. how public funds are managed. how equipment and spare parts are brought. how military research is conducted. how technical expertise are obtained. how intel is collected. After this thought process, then think if all these can really be all done by military personnel in Singapore's context? or rather, do they need to be all done by military personnel? then think about the size and population of Singapore. then think about what other countries have as an equivalent. then look at the Ukraine War. Who will coordinate logistics, liaise with foreign countries, build diplomatic military relations, conduct big data analysis? if the war happens to us today, do you still think DXOs don't do real work? or is it just because we are currently in peacetime?

hopefully I have expanded your brain even slightly. perhaps you didn't think this thru. or you really didn't care to do your research. or you really take just take peace for granted. i really hope you aint a current DXO. if not its damn sad.

You want to justify your zuobo please go ahead. The fact of the matter is that the DXO ranks are filled with a lot of wastage that is redundant and unnecessary.

The functions you cited are important, but they can easily be achieved with half the manpower and if the organization works smart.

But no, MINDEF gets the biggest budget in Singapore and proceeds to blow it on meaningless projects, hiring excessive people to do simple jobs and believing that more paperwork actually makes Singapore safer.

I have thought it through and I never take peace for granted.

But be wary of those who harp on the importance of their roles, for they actually contribute the least.

Unregistered 19-09-2023 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256221)
You want to justify your zuobo please go ahead. The fact of the matter is that the DXO ranks are filled with a lot of wastage that is redundant and unnecessary.

The functions you cited are important, but they can easily be achieved with half the manpower and if the organization works smart.

But no, MINDEF gets the biggest budget in Singapore and proceeds to blow it on meaningless projects, hiring excessive people to do simple jobs and believing that more paperwork actually makes Singapore safer.

I have thought it through and I never take peace for granted.

But be wary of those who harp on the importance of their roles, for they actually contribute the least.

apparently, your brain remained smooth.

no point justifying it to you for the DXOs, I'll let them speak for themselves. someone who doesn't give concrete evidence and cites 'meaningless projects' and 'excessive people' to do 'simple jobs' as the argument and dare say 'never take peace for granted'. laughable.

I'm glad you are not a DXO though. you can think whatever makes you happy and at ease. Cheers.

Unregistered 19-09-2023 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256213)
Hi everyone, early this yr i had resigned as a dxo's due to some culture issues and now im planning to apply it again as a dxo with in a different role and unit. do your think it worth trying?

you might need to ponder really hard on your interview answers! They probably will ask you why you quit, what will you say? If you cite culture issues, they may ask you what makes you think this unit is different, what if the same culture pervades the rest of the organization? I think it might be a bit tricky to enter the door again but do prepare well beforehand to fend off tricky questions.

Also, considering you left due to culture issues, are you rly sure you wanna go back and try again? While your mileage may vary, you may end up on the same road. All the best!

Unregistered 19-09-2023 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256226)
apparently, your brain remained smooth.

no point justifying it to you for the DXOs, I'll let them speak for themselves. someone who doesn't give concrete evidence and cites 'meaningless projects' and 'excessive people' to do 'simple jobs' as the argument and dare say 'never take peace for granted'. laughable.

I'm glad you are not a DXO though. you can think whatever makes you happy and at ease. Cheers.

Me thinking alone is not enough. The country has to change for the better and stop wasting money unnecessarily.

You want examples? This is easy. You simply have to look at the 10 most recent pages of this thread. There are sufficient examples; take your pick.

Unregistered 19-09-2023 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256276)
you might need to ponder really hard on your interview answers! They probably will ask you why you quit, what will you say? If you cite culture issues, they may ask you what makes you think this unit is different, what if the same culture pervades the rest of the organization? I think it might be a bit tricky to enter the door again but do prepare well beforehand to fend off tricky questions.

Also, considering you left due to culture issues, are you rly sure you wanna go back and try again? While your mileage may vary, you may end up on the same road. All the best!

I agree. They will probably ask your old unit anyway. Find another career ba.

Unregistered 21-09-2023 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256213)

once you are out, the chances for you to come back in are slim or if not nil... because MHR will chime in with your previous unit and RO to better understand why you left or is there a reason to why mindef should rehire you when they are probably get a fresh lens or hire outside.

from the looks of it... better for you to try elsewhere and try for mindef in 2-3 years time.

Unregistered 23-09-2023 03:51 PM

anybody regret joining?

Unregistered 23-09-2023 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256586)
anybody regret joining?

regret joining in what sense?

Unregistered 24-09-2023 03:06 PM

hi is it ok to apply for other jobs while still working as dxo? will they track our applications haha

Unregistered 25-09-2023 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256644)
hi is it ok to apply for other jobs while still working as dxo? will they track our applications haha

where got time!

the door is always open. you are free to choose wherever you go.
that is sure, and they dont really hold u back.

and... they dont play this "if u dont promote me, i will resign" **** stunt too...
plenty of replacements and plenty of opportunities outside too.

But its always good to look outside when you think you are confident to take on the outside world. or ministries other than MINDEF/MHA.

Unregistered 25-09-2023 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256739)
where got time!

the door is always open. you are free to choose wherever you go.
that is sure, and they dont really hold u back.

and... they dont play this "if u dont promote me, i will resign" **** stunt too...
plenty of replacements and plenty of opportunities outside too.

But its always good to look outside when you think you are confident to take on the outside world. or ministries other than MINDEF/MHA.

hahah thanks! yeah i wanna look elsewhere cause i think my job here is a poor fit for me, even though the salary is higher than average.

Unregistered 27-09-2023 06:11 PM

Hi all, thanks for all the infos throughout the thread.
Any info pls on salary range for Senior Exec DX8, I believe.

Unregistered 27-09-2023 10:54 PM

For SID roles, are all candidates called down for security clearance after interview or only if you pass? anyone have a timeline from when you're asked to proceed with the next step? trying to decide if i want to apply for other roles.

Unregistered 02-10-2023 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255766)
again, I can cfm you have no idea how MINDEF works. you probably just interacted with some DXO aunties doing clerical work or some DXOs doing very administrative work (salary, leave etc.) and think they 'do nothing much'. Even so, every ministry will have such roles and are necessary. so, let's not be a frog in a well.

let me expand ur brain even slightly, the FSTD mostly are seconded staff from DSO and DSTA. Intel is mostly under SID (not same scheme as DXO), even MSD also not under DXO scheme. build diplomatic military relations > DXO build? dont be a joke pls. conduct big data analysis> attend some poly/uni courses, analyze how many people go cookhouse? if like what u mentioned above, only DPO and finance should hire DXO

Unregistered 02-10-2023 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257274)
let me expand ur brain even slightly, the FSTD mostly are seconded staff from DSO and DSTA. Intel is mostly under SID (not same scheme as DXO), even MSD also not under DXO scheme. build diplomatic military relations > DXO build? dont be a joke pls. conduct big data analysis> attend some poly/uni courses, analyze how many people go cookhouse? if like what u mentioned above, only DPO and finance should hire DXO

dont kid yourself to make yourself feel better and use your limited knowledge to show off.

not OP, but OP is correct.
procurement of weapons? naval, armor and aircraft spares? munitions? so we should hire military and increase our defence budget?
IRPO? DMG? MHRD? MPPD? bet you dunno whats these and what they do.
I bet you dunno why PS D is civilian correct?
yes, MSD used to be, but had some changes, but are they not civilians? don't show your ignorance here and make me laugh. btw, DXOs are cheaper than military. so dont show your stupid face here. just makes me wonder.
data analysis = cookhouse? LOL. dumb statement.
eh dont throw face alr dude.

Unregistered 02-10-2023 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257276)
IRPO? DMG? MHRD? MPPD? bet you dunno whats these and what they do.

zuobo say zuobo la.
coming up with some boliao acronyms doesn't mean they are important la bro.
every company also has its own acronyms what...lame sia.

Unregistered 03-10-2023 06:27 PM

Did the DXO scheme ever get a salary adjustment like the MX scheme in 2022?

Unregistered 03-10-2023 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257340)
zuobo say zuobo la.
coming up with some boliao acronyms doesn't mean they are important la bro.
every company also has its own acronyms what...lame sia.

LOL! #savage!! killing spree!!

Sometimes dont have to be so straight with high ego ppl..

Unregistered 04-10-2023 02:25 AM

What is the current hiring process? No more psychometric test ?

Unregistered 04-10-2023 12:06 PM

Hi all, have went for a job interview end August. The office in charge mention about if I am open to other job posting they have which is also suitable due to my experience. She also told me if I am willing to wait up to 3 months.

However it has been one month and I have not receive any news nor unsuccessful email.
Does that mean I am shortlisted but now pending their hiring process?

Unregistered 05-10-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257465)
Hi all, have went for a job interview end August. The office in charge mention about if I am open to other job posting they have which is also suitable due to my experience. She also told me if I am willing to wait up to 3 months.

However it has been one month and I have not receive any news nor unsuccessful email.
Does that mean I am shortlisted but now pending their hiring process?

a few considerations.
1. if unit in serious need of manpower + your profile matches… within 2-3 weeks all cleared and ready for on-boarding

2. 1 month because they will check if there are other services in need of manpower and if you are suitable. units take their time to consider. 1-1.5month + 2months g50 clearance

3. better start finding another job, because the wait is going to be long.

Unregistered 05-10-2023 10:24 AM

just asking to those who are on the DX scheme.

it was shared by one of the staffers that

DX9 will be up DX10 after probationary period and on confirmation that they are suitable for the job scope.

😨

something new ? because i know the other ministries also practice this already.
MX13 to MX12 after confirmation