Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 22-12-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194577)
Very few people are dead set at 16 years old. And Asian cultures, most parents I know will still insist on their kids getting a degree as a safety net.

Do you think exit career opportunities for a SA1 with a degree vs a SA1 who took diploma route will be the same? I don’t know, but I have some doubts over this.

This conversation only works with the benefit of hindsight, as someone who went Poly to Uni to Big 4, and now seeing juniors from Poly who went to work straight become my senior instead.

I see in some mid tier firms, more than a handful of their audit partners or directors have only a diploma. Not a bad track for a diploma holder since in most other professional services, it's near impossible to rise to partner level without a degree.

Unregistered 22-12-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194581)
I see in some mid tier firms, more than a handful of their audit partners or directors have only a diploma. Not a bad track for a diploma holder since in most other professional services, it's near impossible to rise to partner level without a degree.

I think now very hard.

The requisite to becoming a public accountant is to be a chartered accountant of Singapore.

To become a chartered accountant, you need to take the SCAQ papers. If you take diploma route, you will need to top up foundation papers whereas accounting degree can go straight to professional papers.

Long journey man.

Unregistered 22-12-2021 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194578)
One of the Big4, one of the departments. I cannot speak for the rest.

i think this only applied to one of the department where the partner look at talent more than paper.

you need to be lucky enough to enter that department if you wan to enjoy that benefit.

Unregistered 22-12-2021 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194586)
i think this only applied to one of the department where the partner look at talent more than paper.

you need to be lucky enough to enter that department if you wan to enjoy that benefit.

No? It’s just normal firm progression for polytechnic graduates.

AA1 > AA2 > A1 > A2 > SA1

In rare and exceptional cases, it is not unheard of that AA2 double promoted to A2.

Unregistered 22-12-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194565)
So if one is dead set on being an auditor, there's literally no advantage to getting a BAcc and only disadvantage of progressing slower than a poly grad?? Both poly and uni grad will end up in the same place anyway.

Poly hires are like the "apprentice scheme" hires than many companies in the UK have for non-uni grads. Seems like its not worth it to study an accounting degree to go to B4

Raise your hand if you are dead set on being an auditor for life.

….

No one?

I rest my case.

Unregistered 22-12-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194587)
No? It’s just normal firm progression for polytechnic graduates.

AA1 > AA2 > A1 > A2 > SA1

In rare and exceptional cases, it is not unheard of that AA2 double promoted to A2.

what color sia

Unregistered 22-12-2021 02:29 PM

why suddenly the topic change to poly

you from poly meh

Unregistered 23-12-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194609)
why suddenly the topic change to poly

you from poly meh

Hit the nail on the head? Truth is audit is a job that can be done by diploma holders lol

Unregistered 23-12-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194713)
Hit the nail on the head? Truth is audit is a job that can be done by diploma holders lol

This is true, to be honest, my buddy joined as aa1 and he is doing the same field work as what a s3 or even m1 will do.

Unregistered 23-12-2021 01:35 PM

Audit sad life lah. Everybody enjoying Christmas while Christmas is right before peak period. CNY is right in the middle of peak period. Auditors need to bring laptop when visiting friends or relatives lol. I am sure your partners will reward you for your hard work by giving you more work and cutting staff