Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 30-04-2024 10:04 PM

It seems like the work is never ending. Working 7 days straight still can't complete. Is it even worth staying for the CA?

Unregistered 30-04-2024 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277322)
It seems like the work is never ending. Working 7 days straight still can't complete. Is it even worth staying for the CA?

hate to admit but most SG employers dont care if u are ACCA/CA/CPA/AICPA etc or not. even tho they all take diff level of efforts to complete

grind like dog cat in the end competing with random ACCA candidates from random MY uni. this industry is not worth it

Unregistered 30-04-2024 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277332)
hate to admit but most SG employers dont care if u are ACCA/CA/CPA/AICPA etc or not. even tho they all take diff level of efforts to complete

grind like dog cat in the end competing with random ACCA candidates from random MY uni. this industry is not worth it

If only we are also getting x3.5. That would be nice

Unregistered 01-05-2024 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277262)
Anyone left as 2nd year senior and got a paybump or same pay? Can't get callbacks for any accounting or Fp&a role that didnt offer 5k max. Wondering if there's any other industry i can jump to using my audit experience.

I have the same question too. Is the market that bad right now?

Is it still possible to get a 10-20 percent bump from 2nd year senior pay?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 07:04 AM

Question about salary increment

So I will be starting as Y1 Consulting Associate at EY for $4.5k, can I ask if there is salary increment after Y1 and if so, roughly how much?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277322)

This is SG, no one cares about CA except clueless people conned by ISCA and Big 4. Employers value work experience.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 09:43 AM

The Mid Tiers in SG seems to be outsourcing their audit team to Malaysia now that they can't get SP and EP approvals for seniors. I'm seeing tons of job ads for RM5k-7k (1.4k-2k SGD) for seniors in Malaysia to work on SG audits. How in the world does that work? Will the Big 4 follow suit?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277372)
The Mid Tiers in SG seems to be outsourcing their audit team to Malaysia now that they can't get SP and EP approvals for seniors. I'm seeing tons of job ads for RM5k-7k (1.4k-2k SGD) for seniors in Malaysia to work on SG audits. How in the world does that work? Will the Big 4 follow suit?

big 4s are already doing this. Outsourcing work…

Unregistered 01-05-2024 11:45 AM

All audit work should be outsourced to poor countries. Brain -less checking and box ticking. Replaceable by AI within the decade too

Sinkies need to move up the value chain and stop relying on these low end functions to make a living.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277371)
This is SG, no one cares about CA except clueless people conned by ISCA and Big 4. Employers value work experience.

What about CFA?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277350)
I have the same question too. Is the market that bad right now?

Is it still possible to get a 10-20 percent bump from 2nd year senior pay?

Hi this is how bad this industry is. Once u in audit, lets say u are 3rd or 4th year in, u are drawing below6k, usually 4 to 5k is very hard to have a big jump unless u stay or join real big firms to hit 6k plus.

U be shock to finally know that sg only have 400 to 600 plus listed co. Is there any good prospect in accting?
Most of us know the answer and the market
(i mean ppl taking accting) is alry telling us a lot.

Influx of ft is just gg to ruin this profession. U be lucky commercial gg to pay u 5k lol. Even they do u arecompeting with 50-60 aunties
from my turn pr with cha pa lang or no education who only follow the process for 20uears.

Have fun with b4 exit opportunity. And i support u leaving b4, and perhaps this profession.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277399)
Hi this is how bad this industry is. Once u in audit, lets say u are 3rd or 4th year in, u are drawing below6k, usually 4 to 5k is very hard to have a big jump unless u stay or join real big firms to hit 6k plus.

U be shock to finally know that sg only have 400 to 600 plus listed co. Is there any good prospect in accting?
Most of us know the answer and the market
(i mean ppl taking accting) is alry telling us a lot.

Influx of ft is just gg to ruin this profession. U be lucky commercial gg to pay u 5k lol. Even they do u arecompeting with 50-60 aunties
from my turn pr with cha pa lang or no education who only follow the process for 20uears.

Have fun with b4 exit opportunity. And i support u leaving b4, and perhaps this profession.

Where's the stepping stone that people used to talk about? I.e 20% increment when you exit at the senior level. T.T

Go commercial $5k only ?

The three years in big 4 is equivalent to five years job with work life balance.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277402)
Where's the stepping stone that people used to talk about? I.e 20% increment when you exit at the senior level. T.T

Go commercial $5k only ?

The three years in big 4 is equivalent to five years job with work life balance.

That was back in 2013.

5k back then was a big deal.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277402)

Go commercial $5k only ?

the tahan for 3-4years and get big pay bump & shake leg in commercial with WLB and 7k++ are just BIG FAT lies that probably was true 10-15years ago

now is jump (if even possible to find a reasonably stable and profitable firm) with 10-20% at most and still expected to work long hours cos most of ur boss and colleagues from bi4 anyways and bring the toxic culture everywhere

Unregistered 01-05-2024 02:54 PM

Why hasn't ISCA/ACRA or the government done anything to improve the working conditions in of the professionals in this industry but come up with lots of degrading programs?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277405)
the tahan for 3-4years and get big pay bump & shake leg in commercial with WLB and 7k++ are just BIG FAT lies that probably was true 10-15years ago

now is jump (if even possible to find a reasonably stable and profitable firm) with 10-20% at most and still expected to work long hours cos most of ur boss and colleagues from bi4 anyways and bring the toxic culture everywhere

i think the problem is even if u jump out as an accountant, why would companies pay more than 6k for an accountant. I think a lot of people failed to think from the company's perspective. If you own a SME, i dont think u would hire ex-big4 as an accountant paying 6k++. Unless, u r applying big big firms. But u would be fighting with a lot of people.

I think the only way to jump out from big4 is to aim for finance manager / controller / CFO etc. If yall think that yall dont have wad it takes, btr jump out of this industry.

There are other pretty decent industry with transferable skills from accounting and pays more.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277407)
i think the problem is even if u jump out as an accountant, why would companies pay more than 6k for an accountant. I think a lot of people failed to think from the company's perspective. If you own a SME, i dont think u would hire ex-big4 as an accountant paying 6k++. Unless, u r applying big big firms. But u would be fighting with a lot of people.

I think the only way to jump out from big4 is to aim for finance manager / controller / CFO etc. If yall think that yall dont have wad it takes, btr jump out of this industry.

There are other pretty decent industry with transferable skills from accounting and pays more.

Do you have any other exits to recommend?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277406)
Why hasn't ISCA/ACRA or the government done anything to improve the working conditions in of the professionals in this industry but come up with lots of degrading programs?

Bro and sis for humanity, if u all have the chance to reproduce pls ask ur next gen to stay away from this industry.

Ex b4 is always riding on past glory and go everywhere tell ppl they from b4. Then drop out as avg joe and join new firm and always try to turn the firm into the sub par b4 standard.

Different firm different pros and cons, yet these ppl can only offer their sub par avg joe idea everywhere and tell ppl theh are from b4.

If every acctant like that the profession is doom.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 03:01 PM

Quote:

OP here. agree with what u said 100%. also another thing i observed abt audit ppl trying to exit is that they overvalue their audit exp. tbh those fortune 500 finance position openings, 100 applicants i think 80 are from big 4 lol... what differentiates A from B?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277405)

I can confirm it was true and common back in 2011 to 2013.

Kinda weird for me to acknowledge that was more than 10 years ago… I’m getting old.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277410)
Bro and sis for humanity, if u all have the chance to reproduce pls ask ur next gen to stay away from this industry.

Ex b4 is always riding on past glory and go everywhere tell ppl they from b4. Then drop out as avg joe and join new firm and always try to turn the firm into the sub par b4 standard.

Different firm different pros and cons, yet these ppl can only offer their sub par avg joe idea everywhere and tell ppl theh are from b4.

If every acctant like that the profession is doom.

Don’t think it’s a badge of honour now to say you’re from big 4. It’s the norm.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277199)
Please dont talk rot. How much can you learn as associate in big 4.

My personal experience is that I had to lead jobs with an A1 while I was A2. Not listed client but still a group with conso and impairment issues. I stayed till senior for my SCAQ but honestly learning curve alr plateaued.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 04:38 PM

Are the current batch of associates the same as last time (2-3 years ago)

Meaning, if they discover anything wrong, will they inform the seniors?
Do they complete tasks efficiently, even if it means working overtime or working on weekends?
Will they clear review points allocated to them?
Do they take initiative to request for more work?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277417)
My personal experience is that I had to lead jobs with an A1 while I was A2. Not listed client but still a group with conso and impairment issues. I stayed till senior for my SCAQ but honestly learning curve alr plateaued.

Are you from yellow ? Sounds like it

Unregistered 01-05-2024 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277418)

Do they complete tasks efficiently, even if it means working overtime or working on weekends?

Yes.
No.
Yes, while still allocated to the job.
No.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 05:51 PM

Quote:

No
No
It depends
No

Unregistered 01-05-2024 08:26 PM

Quote:

2pid to ask for more work. This mean ur 2pid mgr dunno hw to allocate staff. S

Unregistered 01-05-2024 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277417)

What to learn. Conso learned in sch, impairment learned in sch. Even with veryyyyyyy difficult impairment issue is also allocate to other dept like corporate finance ppl to do and u write some shyt to close it. Its like 99.99 percent no ppl want to impair. Overrated crap.

Consol 100% ownership is just sum across then do elimination. With nci is also brain dead exercise just allocate pl to nci. Ohhhh what about translation reserve?? Also brain dead exercise, update the avg and closing rate...

U dont even need a year to learn this thing that was learned in sch.

Ppl who said they learned a lot in b4 are those btc.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277435)
What to learn. Conso learned in sch, impairment learned in sch. Even with veryyyyyyy difficult impairment issue is also allocate to other dept like corporate finance ppl to do and u write some shyt to close it. Its like 99.99 percent no ppl want to impair. Overrated crap.

Consol 100% ownership is just sum across then do elimination. With nci is also brain dead exercise just allocate pl to nci. Ohhhh what about translation reserve?? Also brain dead exercise, update the avg and closing rate...

U dont even need a year to learn this thing that was learned in sch.

Ppl who said they learned a lot in b4 are those btc.

In some big 4, the seniors don’t even do consol in year 1. They do it in senior year 3?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277374)
big 4s are already doing this. Outsourcing work…

Really? I thought we only outsource grunt work and not seniors?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 09:52 PM

SkillsFuture credit are in…

Got 5k total credits to spend - anything helpful for accounting and finance

Unregistered 01-05-2024 09:54 PM

Quote:

No. You're lucky if they even write that there's an issue. At best they just write some nonsensical explanation, at worst they just write it like the glaring problem is perfectly normal.
No. My associates work max 10am-7.30pm.
50% chance if still on the job. Once booking finish, won't even reply to Teams message.
No, you're lucky if they even finish their work. Usually there's missing rows and columns.

I'm pretty sure me and the other associates in the same team were not remotely this bad when we first started. I think people who struggle with uni exams are just people who just don't care about anything including their work ethics because how do you even suck at rote learning exams in the first place?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 09:56 PM

Quote:

pls share the decent industries with transferable skills. don't be like those goons who drop this and disappear pls.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277450)
pls share the decent industries with transferable skills. don't be like those goons who drop this and disappear pls.

Why will people share to increase competition lol

Unregistered 01-05-2024 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277443)
Really? I thought we only outsource grunt work and not seniors?

Got ask ur friends in blue.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277448)
No. You're lucky if they even write that there's an issue. At best they just write some nonsensical explanation, at worst they just write it like the glaring problem is perfectly normal.
50% chance if still on the job. Once booking finish, won't even reply to Teams message.
No, you're lucky if they even finish their work. Usually there's missing rows and columns.

I'm pretty sure me and the other associates in the same team were not remotely this bad when we first started. I think people who struggle with uni exams are just people who just don't care about anything including their work ethics because how do you even suck at rote learning exams in the first place?

Don’t you feel tired tanking the engagements?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277450)

if u expect ppl to spoonfeed u on even on good exit options then myb just stay in big 4 is better lah. only there got senior baby u

Unregistered 01-05-2024 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277448)

take a look at recent accounting degree entry rank pt u will know why the quality of juniors falling... expect ppl who get BCCD to have work ethics and motivation to learn ah?

Unregistered 01-05-2024 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277476)
Don’t you feel tired tanking the engagements?

Of course, that's why my last day is this Friday.

Unregistered 01-05-2024 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 277453)
Why will people share to increase competition lol

ya i'm the person who posted that originally. my hours is 9-3 at 200k salary, of course i won't share you just have to believe me