Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 28-11-2021 05:56 PM

Curious, for those who seem so unhappy, what's stopping you from quitting B4?

Unregistered 28-11-2021 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191820)

Haha I left back in 2016.

Every year got new people come in, don’t like the job, and resign. It’s a cycle la so there will always be people ranting.

Unregistered 28-11-2021 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191820)

Fear of the unknown. Those who have yet to go out always fear if they will hate their new job/progression. Which is pretty irrational when you realize that it is not that hard to get back into Big4 since high turnover is a perpetual issue.

In Big4, you know exactly what will be happening in your first 8-9 years and the nature of work. You will be getting promotion to SM if nothing wrong happens, and it is a matter of choice of clients. If you are unhappy with assurance, you can try to request to go to other functions (tax, advisory, others) which they are more flexible about it nowadays.

I have friends who are in audit asking me if I am bored in my new work the first 1-2 years after I left. I can't describe to them how happy I am to be outside.

Unregistered 28-11-2021 11:20 PM

ask yourself. have u ever seen anyone regret leaving big 4? 0.

everyone so much happier after leaving.

why everyone seem upset after awhile - easy to answer after observing some of my friends - once honeymoon over you want to be paid more $$$ for those crazy hours.

And for guys when go back reservist all the comparison and see property agent / bankers drive car in while you slave away, some even bring in laptop to work midnight + and conduct meetings

why do some people stay? idk but MOST people will leave within 2-3 years (proven, go ask HR)

I remember one big 4 had partners openly tell people to quit if they unhappy last year. End up mass exodus.

Unregistered 28-11-2021 11:57 PM

I know why people leave.

I’m more interested in hearing why people stay.

Unregistered 29-11-2021 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191836)
I know why people leave.

1. Stockholm syndrome

2. Lucky ones who kena good engagements with sufficient staff, budget, good managers

Unregistered 29-11-2021 01:54 AM

Quote:

I know why people leave.

main reasons for me:

1) seems hard to get something with decent progression outside of b4 unless you constantly change jobs, a lot of my seniors left and well i stayed and my pay is higher than them. theres of course a couple that left and making big bucks elsewhere but they are rare.

2) i get a lot of autonomy in the way i work esp since im 90% WFH, don't know if i can find this kind of flexibility elsewhere. i generally wake up pretty late cause im a night owl, and nobody really cares as long as **** gets done

3) offpeak is really quite lepak (but this is also luck dependent, some people got full year peaks)

4) i personally enjoy about 50% of the job, the other 50% is what makes me want to quit though

Unregistered 29-11-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191845)
main reasons for me:

2) i get a lot of autonomy in the way i work esp since im 90% WFH, don't know if i can find this kind of flexibility elsewhere. i generally wake up pretty late cause im a night owl, and nobody really cares as long as **** gets done

This has nothing to do with audit or the company. You must thank Covid for WFH. Everyone had to slog in office from morning to night pre-covid.

WFH and flexibility is useless if you have 3 person workload with many deadlines

Unregistered 29-11-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191845)
main reasons for me:

1) seems hard to get something with decent progression outside of b4 unless you constantly change jobs, a lot of my seniors left and well i stayed and my pay is higher than them. theres of course a couple that left and making big bucks elsewhere but they are rare.

3) offpeak is really quite lepak (but this is also luck dependent, some people got full year peaks)

4) i personally enjoy about 50% of the job, the other 50% is what makes me want to quit though

From point 2 and 3, it seems like you are not being whacked enough.

I rather not get that “flexibility” when you need to work on weekends to finish work.

Now my working hours are fixed from 830-6pm. And i do not need to work at night at all. I get to sleep all i can.

Unregistered 29-11-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

I know why people leave.

Want to make equity partner, so have to stay.