Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 27-03-2024 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272639)
Lol

Now all the seniors all scare juniors jeopardise their careers

Really? what got to do with us juniors? You screw up your own career, don't blame us juniors.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272627)
No one is asking associates to work until 4am like we seniors have to, we don't even ask you guys to follow up after your booking ended for your sections, but can you all at least work until 8pm or 9pm so that it's 10 hours like the resource planning stated while you're booked on the job? Especially since you'll be taking breaks and eating 2 hour meals so the 10 hours is actually <8 hours of productive work.

We have done the same work you did before so we know how long it takes for someone doing it for the first time. I've also seen those videos telling people to pretend that they don't understand so that the task "takes longer" but they're actually done so that they can chill.

Do you realise you are being very toxic but trying to disguise it as reasonable?

1) Work to 8pm is not normal. You are trying to normalise it or have accepted it because you got used to it. But as the senior you should not be forcing this as an expectation to us.

2) Ok sure you have done the same work, you have suffered, good for you. But everyone learn at their own pace so don’t expect us to work at same speed as you. You happy to work to 8pm, good for you. But don’t assume everyone is like you.

ISTG it’s because of people like you who spoil the market for so long that this is the prevailing expectation.

Don’t make your problem our problem. Don’t hard sell me on that “we are family” nonsense

Unregistered 27-03-2024 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272624)
a normal human efficiency at most is around 80% max.
it is the big4 fault for pushing the 10 to 12hr into 8 hr job.

thats why everyone just gave up.
the more snr and mgr tank, the happier the partners.

tank more, less rewards.

Sometimes it goes up to 20 hours. That's why many leave when booked on those intensive engagements. They get paid the same, yet there's so much work.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272648)
Do you realise you are being very toxic but trying to disguise it as reasonable?

1) Work to 8pm is not normal. You are trying to normalise it or have accepted it because you got used to it. But as the senior you should not be forcing this as an expectation to us.

2) Ok sure you have done the same work, you have suffered, good for you. But everyone learn at their own pace so don’t expect us to work at same speed as you. You happy to work to 8pm, good for you. But don’t assume everyone is like you.

ISTG it’s because of people like you who spoil the market for so long that this is the prevailing expectation.

Don’t make your problem our problem. Don’t hard sell me on that “we are family” nonsense

It's about accountability and being a team player. This is the nature of big four peak.

Else feel free to look elsewhere?

Not from audit btw

Unregistered 27-03-2024 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272642)
Lol my bro-in-law also encountered this

What my bro-in-law is tell this Philippines talented person not to touch or do anything

He say what you need to do is help the whole team to make coffee

Just let this person sit there do nothing and make coffee when needed

Ask the person go help to buy lunch and dinner

Sorry different context, I meant the Philippines offshore ppl, not Philippines working in sg. These offshore ppl don’t even need a work permit

Unregistered 27-03-2024 09:59 AM

Quote:

+1. Totally agreed.
The contract states the working hours. I'm not obligated to over work that time.
Once in a while, OT 1 or 2 hr is fine. But not every day.
We have our own life, and we are not sacrificing it.
If they want to sacrifice, so be it. Dont drag us.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272600)
covid is peak job market for fresh grads though... people are still getting lots of great IB and consulting offers even during covid period so you have to be really bad if all you're getting is offer for audit...

that said, i don't think you realize how bad the work ethics of some people are. i've seen people literally watching kdrama at work then kpkb when people complain about them. the worst is a girl who is perpetually on leave every time there's meetings so other people have to do her work for her...

anyway our OT is until 9pm only and that's max 3 days at a time. i'm happy to get japanese fruits, desserts, spare hampers, and expensive mooncakes and celebration meals in exchange for that. at least it shows that my boss knows OT after 6pm is bad instead of treating that as the norm. i've never heard of big 4 having a culture of thanking others for covering for them...

Of course we know slacking is bad but who cares? Deal with it.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272651)
It's about accountability and being a team player. This is the nature of big four peak.

Not from audit btw

sorry. your team player nonsense dont appeal to gen z anymore.
yes it is about accountability, but how do u expect people to be accountable for a job that requires so much OT?

use. ur. brain. n think.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272627)
If there's 20 hours of task

Person A only do 8 hours

Person B has to take on that extra 2 hours of work to complete = 10 + 2 + 12 hours

2 hours might not seem a lot but when compared like this, person B has to work 4 extra hours compared to person A

Sure, person A deserves WLB like any human being but I don't think person B is any less deserving of WLB than person A

The workload is not going to magically disappear just because person A doesn't want to do it either

So the best is everyone take their fair share and OT a little so that everyone can go home earlier

Obviously you can say hire more but how to hire extra people in 1 day?

The problem is already in front of you and needs to be solved immediately

It's like saying no need firefighter to waste water to quell fire on a boat because hard work lah, by right mother nature should be pouring rain anyway.

Like no **** but the boat is already burning right now, who can wait for the rain to slowly pour if god decides 'ok i agree and give you rain'?

You don't mind getting burned but others mind, maybe should've let other people who are happy to help quell the flames onto the boat in the first place since everyone knows the boat will be on fire based on track record and need lots of people to put out flames.

No one is asking associates to work until 4am like we seniors have to, we don't even ask you guys to follow up after your booking ended for your sections, but can you all at least work until 8pm or 9pm so that it's 10 hours like the resource planning stated while you're booked on the job? Especially since you'll be taking breaks and eating 2 hour meals so the 10 hours is actually <8 hours of productive work.

We have done the same work you did before so we know how long it takes for someone doing it for the first time. I've also seen those videos telling people to pretend that they don't understand so that the task "takes longer" but they're actually done so that they can chill.

u damn toxic.
why not person B also do 8hrs, and let the mgr cover?
then let the mgr go talk to partner lor.
toxic. this kind of thing still dare to say

Unregistered 27-03-2024 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272651)

Not from audit btw

Contract states overtime is needed depending on deadlines so I dunno what that guy is going on about.

It's like junior lawyers refusing to rush to complete drafting before deadline so someone has to saikang for you. Freshies aren't changing firm policies with their little boycott especially since partners dont even know it's happening so for the time being just make way for someone who can help the team. Is this seriously so difficult for people to grasp?

Don't be a doctor if you aren't willing to be on-call, lots of people want that spot. I think audit OT culture is stupid too but it's a sinkie problem, not your teammates' problem.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272657)
Contract states overtime is needed depending on deadlines so I dunno what that guy is going on about.

It's like junior lawyers refusing to rush to complete drafting before deadline so someone has to saikang for you. Freshies aren't changing firm policies with their little boycott especially since partners dont even know it's happening so for the time being just make way for someone who can help the team. Is this seriously so difficult for people to grasp?

Don't be a doctor if you aren't willing to be on-call, lots of people want that spot. I think audit OT culture is stupid too but it's a sinkie problem, not your teammates' problem.

thats why a lot sinkie left the big4 heheheehee.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272657)

**** you, I deserve the job. Those "other people who want that spot" can just blame themselves for sucking at the interview HAHAHA

Unregistered 27-03-2024 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272656)
u damn toxic.
why not person B also do 8hrs, and let the mgr cover?
then let the mgr go talk to partner lor.
toxic. this kind of thing still dare to say

bro some private uni grads need the paycheque since they cant get better jobs elsewhere, have some empathy
they cant resign even when bosses threaten with PIP
if partner dont budge then sure arrow down to senior level
why is associates not doing work even debatable tho

Unregistered 27-03-2024 10:26 AM

Associates not afraid cannot find jobs outside lah
So many opportunities
Scare no job meh

Unregistered 27-03-2024 10:27 AM

Quote:

Not the OP, but I believe you can be the change once you become a senior and pass on the legacy. Sometimes it's just that we are not given enough resources, and the client forces the deadline on us. You can only really understand the perspective when you are in your senior position. I've heard of managers asking seniors to work on weekends. How to say no to authority when your appraisal depends on them.

I've been in that position before too, where seniors asked the team to work on weekends and public holidays. I do it out of a sense of accountability, not because I enjoy it.

By the way, as mentioned in another post, the contract states that we need to work overtime when required. We are also not protected by the MOM for working more than 44 hours per week.

But to be honest, in commercial, those higher-paying jobs, you will also have to do overtime. So, the idea of no work after 8 pm doesn’t apply. If you’re looking for work-life balance and roles paying 3.5-3.8k, i think account executive jobs can offer work-life balance.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 11:24 AM

Hi guys, can anyone help this poor associate? Everyday during lunch, my senior will force everyone to buy caifan and dabao back to office and force us to sit together cus of “team spirit”….but I really wanna meet up with my friends from other department to eat hipster food. How should I tell my senior?

Unregistered 27-03-2024 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272667)
Hi guys, can anyone help this poor associate? Everyday during lunch, my senior will force everyone to buy caifan and dabao back to office and force us to sit together cus of “team spirit”….but I really wanna meet up with my friends from other department to eat hipster food. How should I tell my senior?

Aya just go la. Ur senior won’t care one la. Lunch hour is ur time

Unregistered 27-03-2024 12:53 PM

Anyone here feels is unfair to seniors and Big4 if associate don't want to OT?

Unregistered 27-03-2024 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272674)
Anyone here feels is unfair to seniors and Big4 if associate don't want to OT?

Bro, talk about juniors not wanting to OT in Big4, got mixed feelings lah.

Seniors feel sian if juniors don't OT, but must see why also.

Some juniors got own stuff, like family or health. Too much OT can really kill you, man.

Better find balance, talk more, find smarter ways. Not say unfair, just work together for solutions lah.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272675)

Some juniors got own stuff, like family or health. Too much OT can really kill you, man.

Better find balance, talk more, find smarter ways. Not say unfair, just work together for solutions lah.

Bro, honestly, I don't agree that juniors can just chope out of OT in Big4. Hear me out, yeah?

In Big4, OT is like part and parcel of the deal. You signed up knowing it's gonna be a grind, right? So, don't play play. Seniors expect juniors to step up and put in the hours when needed, no excuses.

Sure, everyone got own stuff, family, health, whatever. But when you join Big4, you gotta commit, bro. It's all hands on deck when crunch time hits.

Think about it, if juniors start backing out of OT, then who's gonna pick up the slack? It's gonna mess up the whole flow, and seniors will be left hanging.

So, no lah, can't just say "find balance". In Big4, sometimes you got to go all in, no compromise. That's just the way it is.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272675)

Amen! The seniors can go die from OT! I don't want to die!

Unregistered 27-03-2024 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272658)
thats why a lot sinkie left the big4 heheheehee.

**** jobs should go to foreigners

dunno why all these locals die die want to join a **** job then come here complain the job is **** and do nothing about it

i will be more impressed if they organize a strike or stay on and become partner to change the culture instead of just whining

otherwise i will say these are just a bunch of cmi who can't get a job outside because they're too cui but also too dumb to even vouch until can get a PIP

Unregistered 27-03-2024 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272670)
Aya just go la. Ur senior won’t care one la. Lunch hour is ur time

This is the first time I hear anyone say that everyone must eat together. Audit is literally the one job where you don't have to eat with your colleagues because we all know that's the only time we have to socialize with non-audit friends during peak, while you can get ostracized for it in SMEs. Do the posters here actually work in audit? Is that why we haven't gotten accurate bonus + salary info for 2 years now?

Unregistered 27-03-2024 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272680)
Amen! The seniors can go die from OT! I don't want to die!

Why you all juniors dislike OT so much?

Don't like OT, don't join Big4 lah.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272701)
Why you all juniors dislike OT so much?

Don't like OT, don't join Big4 lah.

The seniors were also juniors two years ago..

Unregistered 27-03-2024 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272704)
The seniors were also juniors two years ago..

I used to be an associate who complain about OT

Now I am promoted to senior already and I can understand why need to ask junior to OT

Unregistered 27-03-2024 05:37 PM

As an audit senior, I have been tasked with teaching a junior how to perform casting checks. Despite my efforts to instruct her not to use two decimal points in her working papers, it seems that the junior still hasn't grasped the concept of checking casting accurately and continues to use two decimal points in her working paper. I can't help but feel like I've failed in my role as a senior mentor.

Unregistered 27-03-2024 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272706)
I used to be an associate who complain about OT

Now I am promoted to senior already and I can understand why need to ask junior to OT

Ok so what’s the reason?

Unregistered 27-03-2024 07:13 PM

How much bonus do auditors get?

Unregistered 27-03-2024 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272719)
How much bonus do auditors get?

On average,

Blue/Green/orange (not incl of A1): 1 month
Yellow: 1.6-1.7 month (promotion is 3 months later)

Unregistered 27-03-2024 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272714)
Ok so what’s the reason?

I don't want sabo my own career lor

That's why need to ask junior OT

IF junior don't OT, it will jeopardize my own career leh

Unregistered 27-03-2024 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272732)
I don't want sabo my own career lor

That's why need to ask junior OT

IF junior don't OT, it will jeopardize my own career leh

How is that my problem?

If that’s the reason you give me, all the more reason I don’t want to OT

Unregistered 28-03-2024 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272747)
How is that my problem?

If that’s the reason you give me, all the more reason I don’t want to OT

Then you don't put your working experience in big4 on your resume lor

Since we who OT are the ones who maintain our reputation for excellence in the industry

Unregistered 28-03-2024 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272752)
Then you don't put your working experience in big4 on your resume lor

Since we who OT are the ones who maintain our reputation for excellence in the industry

can u re-read this? it is a joke.
there is no excellence in this industry.

Unregistered 28-03-2024 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272760)
can u re-read this? it is a joke.
there is no excellence in this industry.

No excellence?

Then you don't put big4 experience on your resume lor

Want big4 experience on resume but don't want OT

Say no excellence then don't put big4 experience on resume lor

Unregistered 28-03-2024 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272767)
No excellence?

Then you don't put big4 experience on your resume lor

Want big4 experience on resume but don't want OT

Say no excellence then don't put big4 experience on resume lor

No lo, my mgr get bad review and i get good.
Now i mgr they still stuck at mgr with bad review. Not in b4 means good, u are clearly living in your own world. Oh btw im out of audit and have better opportunity.

Some ppl 11 yoe partner.. some more than 15yoe still sm..

Unregistered 28-03-2024 10:23 AM

Outside, there is still a perception that Big 4 is a tier above diploma AP>AR>Full set grinders for accounting roles. Before the job market faced this downturn, exit opps for auditors is still pretty good because the assumption is that you can think to find solutions because no one has the time to spoonfeed you, caveat being your English has to be evidently good. It's just that we have too many applicants these days so auditors just don't stand a chance. (e.g. ex Finance regional lead applying for Finance manager, senior FP&A from competitors applying to join us at the same rank, laid off senior FP&A being willing to accept junior FP&A role). Everyone is talking about how bad the tech job market supposedly but no one talks about accounting...

Unregistered 28-03-2024 10:33 AM

A few of us resigned because of being sandwiched lol

Interns cannot respond to you outside hours but they say no associates to give

Got associate also their manager will come and scold you if you ask them to follow up on their sections (this must be why those previous commenters say they slack during their booking, dont complete during booking period means no need to do anymore)

Yet when we are booked on another job already still have to work full time on previous job

I only regret not tendering earlier because 2 of my signing date got pushed forward so I have 6 signings this week but my last day is still so far away

Offshoring wont save us because they will say engagement too small to use offshore resources, sorry for not having 300 samples per section

I wish we had paid garden leave or retrenchment package like they do in the US

Unregistered 28-03-2024 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272785)
Outside, there is still a perception that Big 4 is a tier above diploma AP>AR>Full set grinders for accounting roles. Before the job market faced this downturn, exit opps for auditors is still pretty good because the assumption is that you can think to find solutions because no one has the time to spoonfeed you, caveat being your English has to be evidently good. It's just that we have too many applicants these days so auditors just don't stand a chance. (e.g. ex Finance regional lead applying for Finance manager, senior FP&A from competitors applying to join us at the same rank, laid off senior FP&A being willing to accept junior FP&A role). Everyone is talking about how bad the tech job market supposedly but no one talks about accounting...

when is accounts closing? why you accunting team always say busy with closing between 20th to 10th of the month? closing so long? accuntant quality so poor? audit so proud to exit to this kind of embarrassment?

Unregistered 28-03-2024 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272720)
On average,

Blue/Green/orange (not incl of A1): 1 month
Yellow: 1.6-1.7 month (promotion is 3 months later)

1 month only? That's like AWS without performance bonus.