Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 15-11-2023 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260465)
I will tell my son to join big 4 audit and aim to be a partner, and also avoid this thread filled with mediocre people who whines non stop

Truth be told, being a partner is better than being a cost centre at a mnc

Unregistered 15-11-2023 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260466)
Truth be told, being a partner is better than being a cost centre at a mnc

Partner earn 200-500k PA,
If got chance to take over as MP, sky is the limit

Unregistered 15-11-2023 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260460)
how bad must performance be to get PIP?

simple workpaper like auditing cash also take a few weeks to finish. show attitude and unwilling to learn. go for 2 hours lunch break and many smoke breaks with each break lasting 20 mins

usually not so easy to get PIP one. attitude more important. making mistakes is ok since they know you are new.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 01:15 PM

curious where did y'all end up going after leaving audit. Anyone managed to break into non-accounting roles? After seeing clients OT with us I'm not keen to join industry accounting anymore.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260528)
curious where did y'all end up going after leaving audit. Anyone managed to break into non-accounting roles? After seeing clients OT with us I'm not keen to join industry accounting anymore.

Curious why you even took an accounting degree if you’re not keen in audit or accounting.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 01:55 PM

Getting into big 4 chasing the partner track got to be the stupidest thing for graduates to do. It’s 2023, cmon la. Wise up pls.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260529)
Curious why you even took an accounting degree if you’re not keen in audit or accounting.

it was 2016, things wasn't as bad those days and uni classes were more towards the analysis side of things rather than bookkeeping. after doing audit only i realize i really don't like preparing FS and month end closing, much less caring about auditing standards.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260529)

i think they just didnt realise the wlb is that bad considering most ppl say accounting is a 9-5 job

Unregistered 16-11-2023 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260539)
i think they just didnt realise the wlb is that bad considering most ppl say accounting is a 9-5 job

I mean you come in read this thread, we are very honest and transparent about the hours right.

If you didn’t bother to google before choosing your major, I nothing to say.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260536)
it was 2016, things wasn't as bad those days and uni classes were more towards the analysis side of things rather than bookkeeping. after doing audit only i realize i really don't like preparing FS and month end closing, much less caring about auditing standards.

Then you should switch to FP&A. No more month end close and FS preparation. Do forecasting and budgeting

Unregistered 16-11-2023 07:55 PM

Audit is a respectable profession that you tell your friends and family about. Even when the company stop paying your salary, you should continue to deliver high quality work and OT past midnight. If not why you join the profession

Unregistered 16-11-2023 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260557)
Audit is a respectable profession that you tell your friends and family about. Even when the company stop paying your salary, you should continue to deliver high quality work and OT past midnight. If not why you join the profession

I tell my relatives and cousins I worked in satki big 4 after grinding my blood, sweat and tears in jc and uni, they laughed at me and say how’s it like working under tonkatsu uni mgrs and OT 16hours a day?

:(

Unregistered 16-11-2023 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260545)
I mean you come in read this thread, we are very honest and transparent about the hours right.

If you didn’t bother to google before choosing your major, I nothing to say.

I guess most people don't know about anonymous forums like this. IRL and online a lot of places a lot of people, even ex-auditors, repeat the drivel that audit is a great place to learn, can pick up transferrable skills, fulfilling work, great exits, and all that crap. Really can roll your eyes.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260556)
Then you should switch to FP&A. No more month end close and FS preparation. Do forecasting and budgeting

don't FP&A have very bad crunch times for budgeting too? essentially their version of month end close. everyone i know who went to fp&a seems to OT as hard as their accountants, while the ones in western country dont have this problem.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 08:52 PM

I am graduating soon and only received a job offer from big4 audit. can't help but feel incompetent for not getting into maps n seeing my peers earn 5k plus in bo. is audit rly tt bad?

Unregistered 16-11-2023 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260558)
I tell my relatives and cousins I worked in satki big 4 after grinding my blood, sweat and tears in jc and uni, they laughed at me and say how’s it like working under tonkatsu uni mgrs and OT 16hours a day?

:(

who ask u cmi in school. if u satki scores in school u will get better job offers than big 4 audit

Unregistered 16-11-2023 08:56 PM

For KPMG, is there a 10% increase for senior associate 2 (S3) on top of the usual increment? Heard a few colleagues alluding to it but no documentation that I could find on it (as usual)

Unregistered 16-11-2023 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260566)
who ask u cmi in school. if u satki scores in school u will get better job offers than big 4 audit

but still got FCH ppl join audit leh

Unregistered 16-11-2023 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260568)
but still got FCH ppl join audit leh

FCH from where? tonkatsu ramen or private uni in SG?

Unregistered 16-11-2023 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260561)
don't FP&A have very bad crunch times for budgeting too? essentially their version of month end close. everyone i know who went to fp&a seems to OT as hard as their accountants, while the ones in western country dont have this problem.

got OT but definitely much less than big 4. ot is like few days per month and busy period is after year end. Most people are married with children and have a life outside of work unlike big 4 people who have no life. The work is also more interesting than audit and gl accounting.

i would even say gl accounting is worse than audit since it is the most boring.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 09:21 PM

how's the transition to fp&a? need take paycut?

Unregistered 16-11-2023 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260567)
For KPMG, is there a 10% increase for senior associate 2 (S3) on top of the usual increment? Heard a few colleagues alluding to it but no documentation that I could find on it (as usual)

lol no? are you from kpmg too? they probably meant the scaq allowance which is 10% now instead of 20% since they finally qualify

Unregistered 16-11-2023 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260570)
got OT but definitely much less than big 4. ot is like few days per month and busy period is after year end. Most people are married with children and have a life outside of work unlike big 4 people who have no life. The work is also more interesting than audit and gl accounting.

i would even say gl accounting is worse than audit since it is the most boring.

Curious how bad is the OT? Like until 9pm? or 12am? 2am?

Trying to break in too but job market seems very rough this year

Unregistered 16-11-2023 09:36 PM

I graduated FCH from NTU and I cannot stress how unimportant grades are in getting into MAP, retail/ corporate/ investment banking, etc. Those who are able to market themselves well are the people getting these jobs. I know so many people from my uni days who - as objective as I can be - were an absolute terror to work with in group projects and only achieved a second lower or lower and yet are getting prestigious jobs paying $5k+ because they can ******** really well with an ang moh accent.

Don't listen to the crap about studying hard. Sure you should still aim to do well but it's learning to sell yourself well and getting those internships/ competitions that will help you escape this **** hole.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260575)

The only correct answer is: When you finish.

We don’t have fixed working hours, it’s like working on a project. You have a deadline and you work towards it, even if it means working until past midnight or 3am.

It’s not like working in retail when you end work and the shop just closes for the night.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260574)
lol no? are you from kpmg too? they probably meant the scaq allowance which is 10% now instead of 20% since they finally qualify

I recall it was big news the articles came out to say it will be 20% raise after getting ca.

Is this not the case?

Unregistered 16-11-2023 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260575)

Big 4 ot until 3am also have. usually 9pm is considered quite early during peak period

commercial usually own time own target but those doing month end closing got more stress lah since there is pressure to meet the deadline. everybody waiting for you to close leh

Unregistered 16-11-2023 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260576)
I graduated FCH from NTU and I cannot stress how unimportant grades are in getting into MAP, retail/ corporate/ investment banking, etc. Those who are able to market themselves well are the people getting these jobs. I know so many people from my uni days who - as objective as I can be - were an absolute terror to work with in group projects and only achieved a second lower or lower and yet are getting prestigious jobs paying $5k+ because they can ******** really well with an ang moh accent.

Don't listen to the crap about studying hard. Sure you should still aim to do well but it's learning to sell yourself well and getting those internships/ competitions that will help you escape this **** hole.

clearly they didnt get FCH because they prioritised other skills which is more important in life. lots of FCH with zero problem solving and critical thinking skills, but good at memorising things.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260564)
I am graduating soon and only received a job offer from big4 audit. can't help but feel incompetent for not getting into maps n seeing my peers earn 5k plus in bo. is audit rly tt bad?

Audit is a late game career.

Like PA in dota.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260581)
Big 4 ot until 3am also have. usually 9pm is considered quite early during peak period

commercial usually own time own target but those doing month end closing got more stress lah since there is pressure to meet the deadline. everybody waiting for you to close leh

i'm fine with OTing until 9pm but no more midnights pls... i know people who complain 9-7 or 9-8 is OT!! suffering!! so wanted to check

Unregistered 16-11-2023 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260556)

Auditor will struggle into fpna/fbp, because auditors excels skills weak, will suffer for first two year during this transition coz auditors dunno hw to operate sap/ sapbw jedox oracle metadata

I am referring to those big scale fpna/fbp in glc like ST/SMRT/keppel

U will be suprise, they are equally tough

Unregistered 16-11-2023 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260557)

Being able to OT is a privilege that auditors have. To show that you are serious about your career, You should pay to OT.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260579)
The only correct answer is: When you finish.

We don’t have fixed working hours, it’s like working on a project. You have a deadline and you work towards it, even if it means working until past midnight or 3am.

It’s not like working in retail when you end work and the shop just closes for the night.

You are correct.

I go cycle/ jog at 530pm on some days. Chiong to 10pm on weekdays except fri. Its always depends, OT / output, you need to be fresh/ focus , when doing awp.
If u feel u tired, still work, it is waste of time .

Myself used to worked with audit partner who start work at 5am, go bck at 430pm.

My two cent . Focus and strategize when do audit engagement, thats how I survived for the past 9 years in audit

Audit is all abt flexibility.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260593)
Being able to OT is a privilege that auditors have. To show that you are serious about your career, You should pay to OT.

To be honest.
Work quality matters more than OT during roundtable

OT, but work quality sucks, at most will only earn some empathy marks/pts.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260590)
i'm fine with OTing until 9pm but no more midnights pls... i know people who complain 9-7 or 9-8 is OT!! suffering!! so wanted to check

Work efficiently.
You will be fine , associates only do simple sections la. Strawberry generation worried so much haha

Unregistered 16-11-2023 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260573)
how's the transition to fp&a? need take paycut?

Still manage to get decent 20% payrise in basic, but definitely even out/ lose out on YoY package

Shared by someone who Jump out from SM to commercial

Unregistered 16-11-2023 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260580)
I recall it was big news the articles came out to say it will be 20% raise after getting ca.

Is this not the case?

it's 10%. they made a big hoohaa in the news about the 20% then changed it to 10%.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260596)
Work efficiently.
You will be fine , associates only do simple sections la. Strawberry generation worried so much haha

i'm a senior so iykyk

learning audit software was a real pain anyway so i dont think learning fpna software will be any different. part of the job.

Unregistered 17-11-2023 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260594)
You are correct.

I go cycle/ jog at 530pm on some days. Chiong to 10pm on weekdays except fri. Its always depends, OT / output, you need to be fresh/ focus , when doing awp.
If u feel u tired, still work, it is waste of time .

Myself used to worked with audit partner who start work at 5am, go bck at 430pm.

My two cent . Focus and strategize when do audit engagement, thats how I survived for the past 9 years in audit

Audit is all abt flexibility.

Your audit partner is siaolang. Work 11.5 hours. Only kumgong will follow him and work for so many hours.

Unregistered 17-11-2023 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260609)
Your audit partner is siaolang. Work 11.5 hours. Only kumgong will follow him and work for so many hours.

con clueless fresh grads that have never seen real corporate before. if u earn 500k like audit partner what is 11 hour workday. we do that all the time at 5k per month pay.