Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   is this tech job normal? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14446-tech-job-normal.html)

rachaeltan 07-03-2022 01:03 PM

is this tech job normal?

hi,

im currently a junior dev at a large tech company. pay sucks ( 4.2k ), no stocks, remote job.

previously i interned here back when i was in NTU comp science ( grad 2021 ) and the work was fun, i got to learn a lot of things and go to the office to meet teammates.

when they offered me a full-time conversion, i enjoyed my work so i took it... but when i came back as a fulltime, i found out im in a different team and cannot change... im isolated from this team, whatever task they doing im not involved. i dont know why... i asked to be involved and they just tell me to wait for new tasks but it never comes.

i work here for almost 6 months already and still no work to do. is this normal? i know im new so need onboard all those but for 6 months ?

should i just leave and find a new job? anyone else faced this issue?

Unregistered 07-03-2022 01:14 PM

What do you think

Unregistered 07-03-2022 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachaeltan (Post 206663)
hi,

im currently a junior dev at a large tech company. pay sucks ( 4.2k ), no stocks, remote job.

previously i interned here back when i was in NTU comp science ( grad 2021 ) and the work was fun, i got to learn a lot of things and go to the office to meet teammates.

when they offered me a full-time conversion, i enjoyed my work so i took it... but when i came back as a fulltime, i found out im in a different team and cannot change... im isolated from this team, whatever task they doing im not involved. i dont know why... i asked to be involved and they just tell me to wait for new tasks but it never comes.

i work here for almost 6 months already and still no work to do. is this normal? i know im new so need onboard all those but for 6 months ?

Talk to your direct manager, otherwise quit. Don’t waste another 6 months.

Unregistered 07-03-2022 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachaeltan (Post 206663)
hi,

Completely normal for newbie....
its call working university,w e have those IMDA CLT 1 yr contract fresh grad do nothing for the whole year. They were not involved in any production work, only attend training and doing "Testing" work.

Unregistered 07-03-2022 02:21 PM

its call working university,w e have those IMDA CLT 1 yr contract fresh grad do nothing for the whole year. They were not involved in any production work, only attend training and doing "Testing" work.

Unregistered 07-03-2022 02:23 PM

not normal, you should be up and running in 3 mths

Unregistered 07-03-2022 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 206680)

not for fresh grad, that is mid career job change

Unregistered 07-03-2022 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 206681)
not for fresh grad, that is mid career job change

if you are not being exposed to meaningful work in 3 mths , you will not be any different in 6-9mths

rachaeltan 07-03-2022 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 206679)

what do you mean?

my role is a full-time junior position btw, it's not a contract or a program ..

rachaeltan 07-03-2022 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 206665)
Talk to your direct manager, otherwise quit. Don’t waste another 6 months.

yea i tried talking to my manager but she say "take it slow, you are still new, i want u slowly onboard"

but its been 6 months... i already know most of the code base and stuffs. i told her that also and she just tell me wait.. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 206680)

agreed , most of my friends all started working with team after 1-2 weeks or 1-2 months