Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Jobless for a long long time (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14137-jobless-long-long-time.html)

MrGoat 06-10-2021 09:58 PM

Jobless for a long long time

Hi everyone,

I am a 37 year old male who has been jobless for a long long time. Ever since I dropped out of college about 12 years ago, I have been jobless (!). Recently, I am starting to feel bored with my lifestyle and joblessness, and am thinking of looking for work. Do you guys think it is still possible for someone like me to get a job ? I have no skills or experience except for working for 3 months as a waiter a few years back ... Thanks ...

Unregistered 06-10-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGoat (Post 185466)
Hi everyone,

I am a 37 year old male who has been jobless for a long long time. Ever since I dropped out of college about 12 years ago, I have been jobless (!). Recently, I am starting to feel bored with my lifestyle and joblessness, and am thinking of looking for work. Do you guys think it is still possible for someone like me to get a job ? I have no skills or experience except for working for 3 months as a waiter a few years back ... Thanks ...

Not sure if you're a troll but can you explain why you are jobless for 12 years? To drop out from college, means you have basic education. Surely it cant be impossible to not get a job. At 37 , your body should be fit enough to do some labour work. You may want to work part time and try out different kind of jobs before your body restricts you due to old age.

MrGoat 06-10-2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185470)
Not sure if you're a troll but can you explain why you are jobless for 12 years? To drop out from college, means you have basic education. Surely it cant be impossible to not get a job. At 37 , your body should be fit enough to do some labour work. You may want to work part time and try out different kind of jobs before your body restricts you due to old age.

Why do you automatically assume I am a troll?? After dropping out of college, I was feeling quite depressed. I thought I had a bright future ahead but blew it by failing one of the required classes ... Anyway I guess my pride came into play, and I didn't want to apply for the lower-paying, non-degree jobs. A long story short, I became a recluse and stayed at home playing computer games and surfing the internet for the next 12 years. Now, I am trying to get back into society but don't know whether I can still find suitable work ... I applied for some entry sales jobs too but got rejected from all of them , the only jobs I was accepted for was F and B jobs, (being a waiter, cook etc). I tried it for 3 months but didn't really like it ... Any advice ?

Unregistered 06-10-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGoat (Post 185473)
Why do you automatically assume I am a troll?? After dropping out of college, I was feeling quite depressed. I thought I had a bright future ahead but blew it by failing one of the required classes ... Anyway I guess my pride came into play, and I didn't want to apply for the lower-paying, non-degree jobs. A long story short, I became a recluse and stayed at home playing computer games and surfing the internet for the next 12 years. Now, I am trying to get back into society but don't know whether I can still find suitable work ... I applied for some entry sales jobs too but got rejected from all of them , the only jobs I was accepted for was F and B jobs, (being a waiter, cook etc). I tried it for 3 months but didn't really like it ... Any advice ?

Well there are many trolls in this forum. Just had to be sure. Anyways, you could try out manufacturing. They usually mass hire but depending on the economy you may have to be retrench. Maybe you could try that out for a month or two. Then see if you are suitable for that kind of job. If not, you can try out the safe entry person located at malls or companies. Job seems pretty straight forward. Sit there and ensure employees scan their safe entry. Or be those vaccination people who ushers people at vaccination centers. Since now there is booster shots for elderly, they probably requires people.

Unregistered 06-10-2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Definitely possible with so many gigs now! (e.g. Grab food delivery, Lalamove delivery...)

Unregistered 06-10-2021 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185479)
Definitely possible with so many gigs now! (e.g. Grab food delivery, Lalamove delivery...)

Yes, you are right. MrGoat can try out those too!

Unregistered 06-10-2021 11:30 PM

Lawl epic loser. Your parents really suay max to give birth to you this charsiew

Unregistered 06-10-2021 11:50 PM

Yep better to just jump off a building, perhaps MBS

Unregistered 06-10-2021 11:59 PM

Just ignore the naysayers here. Am glad that you are taking the first step :) you can do this!

Unregistered 07-10-2021 12:00 AM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Wow, I guess your parents are the ones supporting you all this time. They should be retiring soon I guess. Timing-wise, you came out to look for work at a bad time. Yes, there are many gig jobs, but due to the massive number of ppl doing it, companies have scaled down the commissions. It means fewer jobs per gig worker with smaller commissions.

Sales is low entry, but currently, there are a lot of jobless sales ppl. They were one of the first waves of ppl who got fired when ppl can no longer travel around the region. No point keeping them if your sales team cannot go out of Singapore. They have years of experience, networks and they are jobless. You have to look around but the competition is fierce.

You should consider getting a driver's license and work as Grab or taxi driver. This is an industry that doesn't ask a lot of questions and is often used as a buffer for middle age PMET who lose their job in their 40s or 50s. The timing is flexible, you are your own boss, and you don't have to deal with office politics. Just make sure you pay your rentals on time, and no one will bother you. I made the assumption that you are an extreme introvert.

Basically, any job that requires an interview process will present some problems for you. Your lack of job history is a major red flag for HR.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 09:03 AM

I bet 1 month later this TS still no job. Lol. Charsiew

Unregistered 08-10-2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185639)
I bet 1 month later this TS still no job. Lol. Charsiew

rich families to back him up.

no one stays jobless for 12 years, playing computer games and surfing the net.... unless you have rich family supporting u lol

Unregistered 08-10-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

I am about 30 and been jobless for more than a year already.
Graduated from a local uni
worked for a few years in a GLC
Join a Dutch MNC but resigned in a few months without a job then covid came. don't ask me why I resign, I can only say they promoted a diploma holder to senior instead of me. how can a deg holder report to dip holder. And the pace they work is inhuman.
Been wanting to go back to the GLC but cannot find a suitable role. Every interview i have been to kept asking why I have not been working for so long until i am so tired of attending interviews. Now mummy don't want to finance my daily expense, so wondering what jobs today allow wfh?

psikyo 08-10-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185641)
I am about 30 and been jobless for more than a year already.
Graduated from a local uni
worked for a few years in a GLC
Join a Dutch MNC but resigned in a few months without a job then covid came. don't ask me why I resign, I can only say they promoted a diploma holder to senior instead of me. how can a deg holder report to dip holder. And the pace they work is inhuman.
Been wanting to go back to the GLC but cannot find a suitable role. Every interview i have been to kept asking why I have not been working for so long until i am so tired of attending interviews. Now mummy don't want to finance my daily expense, so wondering what jobs today allow wfh?

So you're saying a dip holder should report to a deg holder? And you resigned for this reason. Kudos to that dip holder I must say. A dip holder outperform a deg holder.

He/she can survive in a high-pacing workplace already shows he/she is very diligent in their work. Unlike mummy's boy here. Maybe ask mummy for any wfh job, I'm sure she can help you.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psikyo (Post 185667)
So you're saying a dip holder should report to a deg holder? And you resigned for this reason. Kudos to that dip holder I must say. A dip holder outperform a deg holder.

He/she can survive in a high-pacing workplace already shows he/she is very diligent in their work. Unlike mummy's boy here. Maybe ask mummy for any wfh job, I'm sure she can help you.

Give 3 reasons why should a degree holder report to a diploma holder?
I give you 3 reasons why degree holder cannot report to diploma holder.
1. Degree holder is higher than diploma. In saf and the GLC why all degree holders are seniors, managers and officers?
2. People spend so much getting a degree for what, you think your diploma bigger?
3. If diploma can manage degree holder than all the university can close down lah.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185671)
1. Degree holder is higher than diploma. In saf and the GLC why all degree holders are seniors, managers and officers?
2. People spend so much getting a degree for what, you think your diploma bigger?
3. If diploma can manage degree holder than all the university can close down lah.

if OP wants a dip to report to him or her, please stay away from MNCs and go government. MNCs don't take your academic qualification so seriously. But, if you go government, please take note that your reporting officer can be someone younger than you and holds a degree also. the degree might not be of relevance too. If both circumstances you also cannot, can do grab? at least you manage yourself

psikyo 08-10-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

My goodness...have you read it out loud in your head how ridiculous your replies are. This is one rabbit hole I'm not diving in, if not I will ended up on Alice's wonder-universityland.

Yaya, all dip holder must report to degree holder, must listen to degree holder. All hail the supreme degree holder. I hope you can get a job asap. You definitely need one.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

if OP wants a dip to report to him/her, I would suggest going government rather than MNCs because MNCs see skillsets and capabilities more than qualifications. But, if you go government, please be prepared that your reporting officer can be someone younger and holds an irrelevant degree. if both you also cannot take it, then maybe go do grab, at least you manage yourself

Unregistered 08-10-2021 05:32 PM

Quote:

Lol... disconnected dumbass.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psikyo (Post 185667)

One of the reasons why many singaporeans lack competitiveness. This blind paper pursuit forgetting to value add to the business is making them lose opportunities.

psikyo 08-10-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185690)
Lol... disconnected dumbass.

Exactly. I'm sure he/she is not the only one.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 08:54 PM

not sure how this post went from a jobless guy to a degree-diploma debate. Who cares. if the diploma can make the manager's life easier , of course he will promote diploma holder. If got degree holder do more screw ups than diploma holder, why should the deg holder be promoted.

but dip holder can only go to certain rank. then boss no choice to stop promoting the dip holder unless he/she go for deg . boss then look for the next best worker who can make his life easier. If the next best worker has deg cert, can go higher rank. If again is dip holder , stuck to a certain rank.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185703)
not sure how this post went from a jobless guy to a degree-diploma debate. Who cares. if the diploma can make the manager's life easier , of course he will promote diploma holder. If got degree holder do more screw ups than diploma holder, why should the deg holder be promoted.

but dip holder can only go to certain rank. then boss no choice to stop promoting the dip holder unless he/she go for deg . boss then look for the next best worker who can make his life easier. If the next best worker has deg cert, can go higher rank. If again is dip holder , stuck to a certain rank.

This only works in GLC. In the real world of MNC, the value you add speaks regardless of your paper qualifications. Diploma holders can become managers and degree holders get stuck if they can't provide the money's worth. There is no system to limit their potential base on paper qualifications. that's just plain stupid, why do you want to create a system to limit talent and clip wings?

Unregistered 08-10-2021 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185703)

It's not about who cares. You put in more effort last time, you reap your reward now. That's life. If you don't, that's also life.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185708)
This only works in GLC. In the real world of MNC, the value you add speaks regardless of your paper qualifications. Diploma holders can become managers and degree holders get stuck if they can't provide the money's worth. There is no system to limit their potential base on paper qualifications. that's just plain stupid, why do you want to create a system to limit talent and clip wings?

i wish i have the answers to your question. For that you need to ask those at GLC i guess . hahaha

Unregistered 08-10-2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185711)
i wish i have the answers to your question. For that you need to ask those at GLC i guess . hahaha

That's because in the 60s and 70s with a less educated population, paper qualification becomes the only effective measure of competence. So this idea worked during those period. But as decades went by, information reaches the digital age, variety of education increases, industries experience shifts again and again. Paper qualifications is no longer the only method of determining competence. Professional certificates, objectives driven performance indicators, advanced efficient management of resources, competition all come into the equation. But the chronic problem of passive thinking continue to plague government sectors and Government linked companies. The act of thought deferment to the next higher rank can damage the route for continual improvement. Insularity of job security adds on top the complacency so this idea remains. That's why you often hear about people encouraging the toxic idea of accepting status quo rather than improvement, questioning diligence and innovation rather than encouraging them. The MNCs on the other hand faces real competition daily. You get ousted if you don't transform and catch up (nokia and kodak are good examples). So they are on their toes daily ready to take your market share at the slightest opportunity. Also, without the protection of a thick resource drawn from the country, every cent counts, every project matters. This drives the employees to do well and prosper or screw up and lose out. With an open market, anyone who can contribute moves up. That paper is meant to help you do better, not a guarantee to be better. If you don't have that paper, there are other avenues to meet the same objective too. Whatever it takes to meet the target.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185717)
That's because in the 60s and 70s with a less educated population, paper qualification becomes the only effective measure of competence. So this idea worked during those period. But as decades went by, information reaches the digital age, variety of education increases, industries experience shifts again and again. Paper qualifications is no longer the only method of determining competence. Professional certificates, objectives driven performance indicators, advanced efficient management of resources, competition all come into the equation. But the chronic problem of passive thinking continue to plague government sectors and Government linked companies. The act of thought deferment to the next higher rank can damage the route for continual improvement. Insularity of job security adds on top the complacency so this idea remains. That's why you often hear about people encouraging the toxic idea of accepting status quo rather than improvement, questioning diligence and innovation rather than encouraging them. The MNCs on the other hand faces real competition daily. You get ousted if you don't transform and catch up (nokia and kodak are good examples). So they are on their toes daily ready to take your market share at the slightest opportunity. Also, without the protection of a thick resource drawn from the country, every cent counts, every project matters. This drives the employees to do well and prosper or screw up and lose out. With an open market, anyone who can contribute moves up. That paper is meant to help you do better, not a guarantee to be better. If you don't have that paper, there are other avenues to meet the same objective too. Whatever it takes to meet the target.

Extremely hard to make ppl who work in gov sector understand the kind of stress and competition that ppl in MNC have to face daily competing with so many FT

Unregistered 08-10-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185721)
Extremely hard to make ppl who work in gov sector understand the kind of stress and competition that ppl in MNC have to face daily competing with so many FT

yeah im working at mnc. alot FTs. seems like so little locals. They are quick to do work. making me pressured everyday. i regret joining into mnc after graduation.

Unregistered 09-10-2021 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185722)
yeah im working at mnc. alot FTs. seems like so little locals. They are quick to do work. making me pressured everyday. i regret joining into mnc after graduation.

I work in a German MNC and feels OK. Was in a GLC more than 10 years ago but its ways never connected with me. The MNC pressure and pace is there. Many FTs from around the world, but the multi cultural and nationality environment also gave me exposure. I have travelled many times over the years before covid to US, Europe, China and Japan for work before. Even though I have only a Diploma, but like that poster earlier, anything goes , as long as I create value. The keyword is value add but I would also like to add a point he/she missed out, and that's the ability to recognize opportunities and use it, the willingness to be better than your competitors and have good teamwork spirit with your colleagues. I also promote people in my department base on opportunities available and their performance. Degree or not is irrelevant but specific professional certificates relevant to specific jobs will be helpful (I don't hire fresh grads) if they are able to provide what we are looking for.

Unregistered 09-10-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185710)
It's not about who cares. You put in more effort last time, you reap your reward now. That's life. If you don't, that's also life.

Who cares if you put in more effort last time. Its your effort now that counts. Even if you have no degree or diploma but you put in alot of effort to make your hiring managers life easier as compared to a degree holder, you will still be promoted. That is the way it should be. Nobody cares if you only put in effort to get that degree. In fact nobody cares about your degree once you are in the company.

Unregistered 09-10-2021 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185754)
Who cares if you put in more effort last time. Its your effort now that counts. Even if you have no degree or diploma but you put in alot of effort to make your hiring managers life easier as compared to a degree holder, you will still be promoted. That is the way it should be. Nobody cares if you only put in effort to get that degree. In fact nobody cares about your degree once you are in the company.

hahahahahahahahaha

tell me you've never worked in any MNC company without telling me

Unregistered 09-10-2021 01:25 PM

Soon our current cabinet of ministers may be jobless too. ha..ha..

Trying to force the population to get injected by going overboard with the new measures. Well done!

Unregistered 09-10-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185679)
if OP wants a dip to report to him/her, I would suggest going government rather than MNCs because MNCs see skillsets and capabilities more than qualifications. But, if you go government, please be prepared that your reporting officer can be someone younger and holds an irrelevant degree. if both you also cannot take it, then maybe go do grab, at least you manage yourself

I just post a question for a wfh job and all the diploma dreamers get triggered. If you want to promote, then go and get a degree. Any degree also can why so lazy. If you no degree you cannot promote because a degree holder cannot report to diploma holder otherwise the ranking will mess up. You go and look at all the GLC, where got degree holder report to diploma? So don't tell me how good you are or how much better you perform than me. If you no degree, you can't promote above me. Period. I resigned from that mnc also because how can degree holder report to diploma holder? And i got degree you want me to drive grab? You crazy or what?

Unregistered 09-10-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185754)

This kind confirm last time never study one LOL

Unregistered 09-10-2021 10:01 PM

Is it normal to feel overwhelm at a new job? im starting work on monday and i feel like i will be overwhelmed when they intro me the places there.

Unregistered 09-10-2021 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185787)
Is it normal to feel overwhelm at a new job? im starting work on monday and i feel like i will be overwhelmed when they intro me the places there.

First 3 months is zo bo one leh...

Unregistered 10-10-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185793)
First 3 months is zo bo one leh...

sure anot, where got so long until 3 months. usually 1 month la.

Unregistered 10-10-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185809)
sure anot, where got so long until 3 months. usually 1 month la.

Everyday song song wait for 5pm

Unregistered 11-10-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185766)
I just post a question for a wfh job and all the diploma dreamers get triggered. If you want to promote, then go and get a degree. Any degree also can why so lazy. If you no degree you cannot promote because a degree holder cannot report to diploma holder otherwise the ranking will mess up. You go and look at all the GLC, where got degree holder report to diploma? So don't tell me how good you are or how much better you perform than me. If you no degree, you can't promote above me. Period. I resigned from that mnc also because how can degree holder report to diploma holder? And i got degree you want me to drive grab? You crazy or what?

tell me you never work in a government agency before. LOL, I am from there and I can tell you we do have a degree reporting to a diploma, yes, the diploma will be stuck at a certain level but a degree doesn't give you a route to promotion either. better wake up your ideas huh. I hold a Master degree and I report to someone who has an irrelevant degree but so what right? and what's the big deal about degree can't drive grab? based on your attitude and mindset, how to get a job right, better to drive grab so you are in charge of yourself? The reality is, you are now jobless and stop thinking about getting a WFH job dude! Everyone will go back to the office one day. LOL!

Unregistered 11-10-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185766)

want to talk about promotion? get a job first la, talk so much, everyone including grab driver is better than you because we all have a job but you don't? LOL