Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Do you put your photo in your CV? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1353-do-you-put-your-photo-your-cv.html)

miwashi 31-05-2011 05:05 PM

Do you put your photo in your CV?

Just curious. Some people say yes, some say no, both feel very strongly about the opposing view.

Me, I never put my photo in my CV.. I'm wondering if that's the reason why I get called for 1% of the jobs I apply for.

Unregistered 31-05-2011 08:30 PM

Why not put your photo and try? Maybe you'll land an interview right away.

I always put, but I seldom look for jobs.

Unregistered 01-06-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 12781)
Just curious. Some people say yes, some say no, both feel very strongly about the opposing view.

Me, I never put my photo in my CV.. I'm wondering if that's the reason why I get called for 1% of the jobs I apply for.

I don't believe in giving my photos for job applications. One should not be employed based on looks.

miwashi 01-06-2011 02:46 PM

Yep, exactly what I mean. 2 replies, 1 yes and 1 no. So what's the general consensus?

financepil 03-06-2011 08:17 AM

Can I say it depends on what kind of job you are applying for!!
cos management/banking/consultant job may need a photo in your resume cos I hear some say looks really counted towards these kind of jobs(I aint sure hw true it is)

When it comes to engineering hell no need !!!!! lol

Unregistered 03-06-2011 11:21 AM

I select people amongst the resumes that come through when there's an opening in my firm and i have to admit that if you're attractive looking, with the slightest work related experience you have, i'll get my HR to arrange for you to come down for a chat with the rest of my team.

What i can say is, job opportunities shouldn't be based on appearance but the truth is that if you're good looking,you'll have an easier path in life. I wouldn't say i'm the most capable person with what experience and skills i have over in my resume but i definitely secured enough interviews based on my photo enclosed (bless my mum and dad for good genes) to give me more shots at jobs i'm looking to secure.

Bottom line is if you're average looking, skip the photo. If you know you're better looking than most, put that photo in and get that extra edge leading you to more interviews.

Unregistered 03-06-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12895)
I select people amongst the resumes that come through when there's an opening in my firm and i have to admit that if you're attractive looking, with the slightest work related experience you have, i'll get my HR to arrange for you to come down for a chat with the rest of my team.

What i can say is, job opportunities shouldn't be based on appearance but the truth is that if you're good looking,you'll have an easier path in life. I wouldn't say i'm the most capable person with what experience and skills i have over in my resume but i definitely secured enough interviews based on my photo enclosed (bless my mum and dad for good genes) to give me more shots at jobs i'm looking to secure.

Bottom line is if you're average looking, skip the photo. If you know you're better looking than most, put that photo in and get that extra edge leading you to more interviews.

how shallow.... but it's the truth! haha.

it explains why people fall head over heels over celebrities.

Unregistered 06-06-2011 06:11 PM

This is also known as the Halo effect:

Halo effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The halo effect is a cognitive bias whereby the perception of one trait (i.e. a characteristic of a person or object) is influenced by the perception of another trait (or several traits) of that person or object. An example would be judging a good-looking person as more intelligent.

Unregistered 08-06-2011 05:00 AM

Yes I have placed my picture, bec it seems needed in singapore.

I am extremly good looking but am a fresh grad with no expereience and do not get called back as much. Most places prefer expereince

Unregistered 08-06-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13038)
Yes I have placed my picture, bec it seems needed in singapore.

I am extremly good looking but am a fresh grad with no expereience and do not get called back as much. Most places prefer expereince

What's your degree in? Job market should be peaking up.