Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13323-comp-science-frsh-grad-salary.html)

Unregistered 06-01-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152723)
I'm shopee project manager. Liase with merchant. Business meeting etc.
Assign task to developer.. 20k per month.

Not sure why all the developer are so happy with their 7k.. When they have to work like slave while other positions are easier and more rewarding

Hello. We are talking about fresh grad here

Unregistered 06-01-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152724)
Hello. We are talking about fresh grad here

Oh i tot fresh grad earning 9k these days? No?

Unregistered 06-01-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152725)
Oh i tot fresh grad earning 9k these days? No?

9.5k liao. It goes up each day

Unregistered 06-01-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152723)
I'm shopee project manager. Liase with merchant. Business meeting etc.
Assign task to developer.. 20k per month.

Not sure why all the developer are so happy with their 7k.. When they have to work like slave while other positions are easier and more rewarding

Obviously a boomer troll here. SWE is paid better than PMs in Shopee and a simple search on glassdoor will tell you that.

Many boomers are salty of fresh grad salary. They must understand that tech was not disruptive to the industries unlike now and the IT industries have transformed significantly with the rise of AI, data analytics, cyber sec, DevOps, agile methodology, etc.

Like Steve Jobs said, the difference between the best SWE vs an avg SWE is 50 to 100 times unlike other jobs in other industries the difference is relatively marginal (0.2 to 2times).
Link: watch?v=a7mS9ZdU6k4&ab_channel=JordanEtem

That is why top fresh grads in SWE are paid a lot and well deserved too due to the value they are bringing into companies. They have high potential and are able to learn, adapt, and produce with high speed and quality.

That said, the role of SWEs also changes as you progress further. Probably less coding & implementation but more technical designing, decision making, and guiding new SWEs.

Unregistered 06-01-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152727)
Obviously a boomer troll here. SWE is paid better than PMs in Shopee and a simple search on glassdoor will tell you that.

Many boomers are salty of fresh grad salary. They must understand that tech was not disruptive to the industries unlike now and the IT industries have transformed significantly with the rise of AI, data analytics, cyber sec, DevOps, agile methodology, etc.

Like Steve Jobs said, the difference between the best SWE vs an avg SWE is 50 to 100 times unlike other jobs in other industries the difference is relatively marginal (0.2 to 2times).

That is why top fresh grads in SWE are paid a lot and well deserved too due to the value they are bringing into companies. They have high potential and are able to learn, adapt, and produce with high speed and quality.

That said, the role of SWEs also changes as you progress further. Probably less coding & implementation but more technical designing, decision making, and guiding new SWEs.

Good insight. I guess the issue is all fresh grad think they are worthy of top pay

Unregistered 06-01-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Glassdoor is not religion alamak. Look at the amount of "reported salaries" and you can draw your own conclusions how accurate they are.

Unregistered 06-01-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

LOL.
Then by your argument, every fresh grad comp Sci that is worth 9.5k starting pay should just start their own IT company or app or tech **** or what not la.

So dumb, you value fresh grad skills so high to pay them high for unproven skills

But their skills are not worth it if they use it freelance.
So weird.

If I'm a fresh grad Sci comp tech genius, I'll build an app and then sell it like whatapps, Instagram, Hotmail etc.

Why go work for a GAMING company like shopee.
Singaporean are delusional
Get good grade.
Graduate uni.
Expexts high pay.

Money is king. Not skills.
Wny? Cause if I got money, I can hire next year fresh grad if you can't deliver.

Unregistered 06-01-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152755)
LOL.
Then by your argument, every fresh grad comp Sci that is worth 9.5k starting pay should just start their own IT company or app or tech **** or what not la.

So dumb, you value fresh grad skills so high to pay them high for unproven skills

So weird.

If I'm a fresh grad Sci comp tech genius, I'll build an app and then sell it like whatapps, Instagram, Hotmail etc.

Get good grade.
Graduate uni.
Expexts high pay.

Wny? Cause if I got money, I can hire next year fresh grad if you can't deliver.

This salty boi cant engrish for real. No wonder cant pass technical interviews for Shopee now kpkb graduate in 2015 work 5 years still earn under 5k per month.
pui stupid nub gitgood

Unregistered 06-01-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152759)
This salty boi cant engrish for real. No wonder cant pass technical interviews for Shopee now kpkb graduate in 2015 work 5 years still earn under 5k per month.
pui stupid nub gitgood

Most ppl in CS can’t engrish to be fair

Unregistered 06-01-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152759)
pui stupid nub gitgood

19yo polytechnoc student ceo managing few millions startup.

You uni delusional think working for a shopee is the career dream come thru
What a delusional fresh grad.

Unregistered 07-01-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

LOL.

So weird.

Get good grade.
Graduate uni.
Expexts high pay.

Not the same person you are replaying to, but I think you are hugely underestimating the complexity behind apps like WhatsApp, insta, Shopee. On the front, it might seem like a simple chat or e-commerce app. But behind the scenes, these things need many teams of engineers to run smoothly. Why do you think Shopee hires so many engineers.

Also, don't think you understand how much value 1 good software engineer can bring to a company. These tech companies have realised this long time ago, that's why they don't mind paying top dollar for top graduates with high potential. It's not about what they know now, but what they can deliver in the future.

Unregistered 07-01-2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

LOL.

So weird.

Get good grade.
Graduate uni.
Expexts high pay.

Not the same person you are replying to, but think you are hugely underestimating the complexity behind apps like WhatsApp, Shopee... On the front they might seem like a simple chat, e-commerce app. But behind the scenes, these things need teams of engineers to function properly and cannot be built alone. Why do you think Shopee hires so many engineers.

Also, I think you don't really understand or see how 1 good software engineer can bring so much value to a company. These tech companies have realised long ago that good software engineers are extremely valuable, similar to investment bankers for banks. This is why they don't mind spending top dollar for top graduates. Its not so much about what the graduate can do now, but the potential they have later on. Needless to say, there are a few graduates who are extremely good already and therefore can command top dollar

Unregistered 07-01-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152764)
19yo polytechnoc student ceo managing few millions startup.

You uni delusional think working for a shopee is the career dream come thru
What a delusional fresh grad.

NS pwn him gao gao

Unregistered 07-01-2021 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152842)
NS pwn him gao gao

All Singaporean men go thru NS what. All kena pwned the same way.
Nothing special

Unregistered 07-01-2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152844)
All Singaporean men go thru NS what. All kena pwned the same way.
Nothing special

Correction...
Singapore boys.

Unregistered 10-01-2021 02:17 PM

Lmao let me grab my popcorn

Unregistered 11-01-2021 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153042)
Lmao let me grab my popcorn

er what has salary got to do with popcorn??

Unregistered 11-01-2021 08:46 AM

Lmao let me get my popcorn and butter

Unregistered 12-01-2021 10:23 PM

Started working Dec 2019. Got 220k last year everything added up.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153287)
Started working Dec 2019. Got 220k last year everything added up.

Started work Jan 2020 WFH. Annual. I just bought a condo last month. Moving in.
Tech pays well.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 09:15 AM

I was let go from my job 5.8k fresh grad last month because I couldn't deliver.
WFH I was expected to deliver a real time camera integration for an app

My boss claims that I wasn't really working from home.
He msg me expects instant response during office hours

But I was working all night and fell asleep.
He said I wasn't able to respond in a timely manner while working from home and I didn't answer his calls.

I was asleep from working through the night.
He ask me to show what I worked on last night.

I couldn't produce the work.
I told him I was researching how to implement it.
And pass him the sample code.

He said I took work from Internet and pass it as my one.
But he doesn't understand am I supposed to not refer to the Internet at all?

In the end I was Terminated.
My ego is bruised.

Yes tech pays well but oh man I'm not a robot.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153315)
I was let go from my job 5.8k fresh grad last month because I couldn't deliver.
WFH I was expected to deliver a real time camera integration for an app

My boss claims that I wasn't really working from home.
He msg me expects instant response during office hours

But I was working all night and fell asleep.
He said I wasn't able to respond in a timely manner while working from home and I didn't answer his calls.

I was asleep from working through the night.
He ask me to show what I worked on last night.

I couldn't produce the work.
I told him I was researching how to implement it.
And pass him the sample code.

He said I took work from Internet and pass it as my one.
But he doesn't understand am I supposed to not refer to the Internet at all?

In the end I was Terminated.
My ego is bruised.

Yes tech pays well but oh man I'm not a robot.

I understand your pain, but why would you want to work outside of working hours?

Unregistered 13-01-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153323)
I understand your pain, but why would you want to work outside of working hours?

Programmer mind don't switch on and off based on office hours.
Sometimes inspiration and clarity comes at night.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Just to add on, I feel that you are not suitable for tech field if you take too long to research on how things work. Especially when you found a code online. Instead of showing your boss that code, you should have at least modified it to your use case (at least 1 working use case). Tech field is not for everyone

Unregistered 13-01-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Tech job is like student life. You're given a "Lab assignment and you have to finish it in 2 weeks. Or 3 weeks."

Just like students if you can't finish your lab work during office hours. You need to come back at night or work overnight etc.

So the high pay really just offset the long hours and demand.
It also doesn't cover mental health, exhaustion and abuse

Unregistered 13-01-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153324)
Programmer mind don't switch on and off based on office hours.
Sometimes inspiration and clarity comes at night.

Not when you are doing research at night? That is called motivation, not inspiration. Also, if your inspiration comes at night, go ahead and write it down and try it out during office hours (if it is work related). One impt lesson I've learnt throughout my years in tech field is that you should never do work outside of office hours... not when you have other commitments like family. Or else you will never have a rest day ever.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153327)
Tech job is like student life. You're given a "Lab assignment and you have to finish it in 2 weeks. Or 3 weeks."

Just like students if you can't finish your lab work during office hours. You need to come back at night or work overnight etc.

So the high pay really just offset the long hours and demand.
It also doesn't cover mental health, exhaustion and abuse

Yeap, you do bring home your lab assignments, but if you grasp the concept well, you can finish it within 2 or 3 days (or at least it applies to me when I'm in NUS SoC). Reason why it can go outside of lab hours is because of the briefings during the start of the lab, but once you understand what is going on, you can finish it when you get home (or during ur break).

Tech is all about efficiency :)

Unregistered 13-01-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153328)
Not when you are doing research at night? That is called motivation, not inspiration. Also, if your inspiration comes at night, go ahead and write it down and try it out during office hours (if it is work related). One impt lesson I've learnt throughout my years in tech field is that you should never do work outside of office hours... not when you have other commitments like family. Or else you will never have a rest day ever.

If cannot finish how? 5.8k for fresh grad. Now I can't find another similar pay. All offering like pathetic 4k ish.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153330)
If cannot finish how? 5.8k for fresh grad. Now I can't find another similar pay. All offering like pathetic 4k ish.

Do you think you deserve 5.8k when you can't finish the task assigned to you? Go join Shopee or bytedance if you want a pay above 5k (for fresh grad).

Unregistered 13-01-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153331)
Do you think you deserve 5.8k when you can't finish the task assigned to you? Go join Shopee or bytedance if you want a pay above 5k (for fresh grad).

The task is not doable in 2 weeks. Don't care you pay a 10k or 100k.
Its not humanly possible.

Oh oh I want an app that works just like trace together but with added video conferencing feature. And voice alert notification so ppl can surveillance you.

2 weeks.

You hire FCH or Zero class honors also can't do.
You think comp science are human robot AI
Mostly tech ppl are lazy and fake.

Then why don't you hire 9 programmes to make 1 baby in 1 month instead of 9 months.
Dumb ass

Unregistered 13-01-2021 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153332)

Oh oh I want an app that works just like trace together but with added video conferencing feature. And voice alert notification so ppl can surveillance you.

2 weeks.

Then why don't you hire 9 programmes to make 1 baby in 1 month instead of 9 months.
Dumb ass

Excuses and excuses..real time camera integration for app, that hard?
I have no iOS experience but from Android pov, its really simple? Done it before. Resources must be managed efficiently too.

Ownself incompetent just say incompetent, don't give excuses.
You want to bring honours class up? What class are you in and which school? If you are from NUS and willing to provide more info such as your matriculation number, I will make sure I dig your details out to find out if you are competent or not. To you maybe its not doable, but how do you know tbose people from NUS can't do it? I believe a mere 2nd upper from NUS can do it.
Most tech people are lazy and fake? Erm, are you referring to yourself?

Anyway you mind showing us your WBS? Unless u tell me it is machine learning related that requires training, then it would justify for the lack of time as there are lots of factors.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153332)

2 weeks.

Dumb ass

RT camera integration for app, that hard?
I have no iOS experience but from Android pov, its really simple. Done it before for my ex coy.

Ownself incompetent just say.
You want to bring honours class up? If you are from NUS and willing to provide your matriculation number, I will make sure I find out if you are competencies through Prof B. To you maybe its not doable, but how do you know those from NUS can't do it?

Anyway you mind showing us your WBS?

Unregistered 13-01-2021 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153347)
I have no iOS experience but from Android pov, its really simple. Done it before for my ex coy.

You want to bring honours class up? If you are from NUS and willing to provide your matriculation number, I will make sure I find out if you are competencies through Prof B. To you maybe its not doable, but how do you know those from NUS can't do it?

To add on, honours class mean nth to NUS SoC students. A 2nd upper can be as good as FCH, just because we rather take internship instead of FYP. You will know the rest of the story if you are from NUS.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153347)

Do you mind publishing your code on github for us to see?
Since it's easy... Maybe you can do it in just 1 day? Or 1 week?

No working code on github I call you as ********.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 01:52 PM

Yeah talk is cheap.
No code no talk.

Let's see how beautiful your code structure is.
First we need to see it working.
Second we need see it's code structure to see how maintainable it is.
Third we need to see the test code.
Fourth need to see the test coverage.
Fifth need to see the performance and stress test. How many concurrent user.
Sixth need to see how stable it is.

5 days since its easy.
Oh and also you can't use the latest android. Need to suppoet end user.
Also need 2 FA. Easy right? So maybe 6 days then?

6 days no code no talk. ********.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153352)
Do you mind publishing your code on github for us to see?
Since it's easy... Maybe you can do it in just 1 day? Or 1 week?

No working code on github I call you as ********.

Boy oh boy, looks like you have not been in the tech field for long. Anyone inside will know that code produced for company belongs to company and only with permission, you can share it. The code is for my ex coy btw :) for some MDM.

Anyway, list out your specification/FR/NFR and I will develop it out for you. I will publish a video with a specified tag (you name it) instead of giving out the code in case leechers like you just want to copy paste the code.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153353)
Yeah talk is cheap.
No code no talk.

Let's see how beautiful your code structure is.
First we need to see it working.
Second we need see it's code structure to see how maintainable it is.
Third we need to see the test code.
Fourth need to see the test coverage.
Fifth need to see the performance and stress test. How many concurrent user.
Sixth need to see how stable it is.

5 days since its easy.
Oh and also you can't use the latest android. Need to suppoet end user.
Also need 2 FA. Easy right? So maybe 6 days then?

6 days no code no talk. ********.

No code will be published, but a demo video can be produced :) how beautiful code structure is? No worries. If you are from NUS SoC, you will know how anal a certain prof is when it comes to the weekly code review for software engineering, so why worry about the code structure? Working I confirm can show you it is working through a video.

Stress test and concurrent user? Depends on the server-side code as well as server processor. Nobody codes for the latest android, we always go for the version that has highest user support.
2FA? for what? What is the use case?

Just waiting for that guy to list out the specifications :)

Unregistered 13-01-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153356)
Boy oh boy, looks like you have not been in the tech field for long. Anyone inside will know that code produced for company belongs to company and only with permission, you can share it. The code is for my ex coy btw :) for some MDM.

Anyway, list out your specification/FR/NFR and I will develop it out for you. I will publish a video with a specified tag (you name it) instead of giving out the code in case leechers like you just want to copy paste the code.

But then it's stupid right. You wrote the code before. Meaning you have experience developing similar function. But you can't reproduce it.

Meaning you're just as useless as a fresh grad who can Google the solution.
Yeah you're the typical tech all talk no substance.

Reproduce it from memory lo.
Obviously you copy and paste existing code. Or use existing code written by other people and you just need to maintain it. Lol

Unregistered 13-01-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153360)
But then it's stupid right. You wrote the code before. Meaning you have experience developing similar function. But you can't reproduce it.

Meaning you're just as useless as a fresh grad who can Google the solution.
Yeah you're the typical tech all talk no substance.

Reproduce it from memory lo.
Obviously you copy and paste existing code. Or use existing code written by other people and you just need to maintain it. Lol

Wow, you really can't read? I already said I can reproduce it and provide a video proof :)

Not sure why you think fresh grads are useless. Maybe the ones in your coy are. But I've seen fresh grads in my coy (which I shall not name) coming in with more experiences than me. Not sure how out of touch are you in the tech landscape, or maybe your coy just cmi..

But anyway, do list out your specifications as detailed as possible (I'm sure I don't need to tell you this but looks like you are not from NUS). I'm sure which ever school you are from, mods that deal with dev will have this part.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153357)
No code will be published, but a demo video can be produced :) how beautiful code structure is? No worries. If you are from NUS SoC, you will know how anal a certain prof is when it comes to the weekly code review for software engineering, so why worry about the code structure? Working I confirm can show you it is working through a video.

Stress test and concurrent user? Depends on the server-side code as well as server processor. Nobody codes for the latest android, we always go for the version that has highest user support.
2FA? for what? What is the use case?

Just waiting for that guy to list out the specifications :)

Please la as if professor so free to read your code.
They use algorithm to detect similarity and plagiarism only.

Always go for the latest android version what a joke la.
You are not a real working life app.

If you are an app developer you will know you support the most user base android version
You don't limit your app to only the latest.

Typical techie run some hello world sample and thinks he's a guru.
2FA for what.
Your bank app need 2FA for what.
Your brain need 2FA for what.

No code no talk.
Then write a sample version lo. Don't need all the function.
Just one very simple button.
The app launch show that button. Press thar button can stream video and broadcast to user who is joined to the meeting.

And no open source or 3rd party library.
You must build it from scratch. Just that one simple.

Please code. No code no talk.