Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13323-comp-science-frsh-grad-salary.html)

DLostMan 04-01-2021 07:58 PM

Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary

Hi,

Is expecting 5k for fresh grad salary with the current situation acceptable? I did averagely (2nd class) from a Russel Grp uni in UK. Have an offer for 4 but feel undervalued. (1 Year Contract, no bonus) (Its also my 1st offer) Based of 2019 Grad Salary Review I feel 5 is acceptable.

However, I feel currently a lot of companies try to go on the extreme low end 3.5 etc. Have companies telling me its too high and to get back should I agree to the 3 ish range.

Could I hear back from recent grads who recently secured jobs? What is the expected salary of fresh CS grads?

Thanks

Unregistered 04-01-2021 10:32 PM

Not all companies can afford 5k salary for fresh grad. You have to set your target at the right companies, there are plenty of opportunities for 5/6k jobs but just a matter of whether you can secure any. Good luck!

Unregistered 04-01-2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLostMan (Post 152555)
Hi,

Is expecting 5k for fresh grad salary with the current situation acceptable? I did averagely (2nd class) from a Russel Grp uni in UK. Have an offer for 4 but feel undervalued. (1 Year Contract, no bonus) (Its also my 1st offer) Based of [URL="s://.salary.sg/2020/graduate-employment-survey-2019-published-2020/"]2019 Grad Salary Review[/ I feel 5 is acceptable.

However, I feel currently a lot of companies try to go on the extreme low end 3.5 etc. Have companies telling me its too high and to get back should I agree to the 3 ish range.

Could I hear back from recent grads who recently secured jobs? What is the expected salary of fresh CS grads?

Thanks

Below average wld be 3k - 4k
Normal pay 4k - 5k, Accenture
Slightly Abv 5k+ from Shopee, Banks, Tech Graduate programmes
Godlikes go into Google, FB, Apple, Bytedance. 7k onwards

DLostMan 04-01-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152571)
Below average wld be 3k - 4k
Normal pay 4k - 5k, Accenture
Slightly Abv 5k+ from Shopee, Banks, Tech Graduate programmes
Godlikes go into Google, FB, Apple, Bytedance. 7k onwards

I got 4k Accenture from the recruiter - 1-year contract (no bonus) + 2month training (1k allowance) with the recruiter and I've tried asking more, they keep saying its max :/

Gut feeling the recruiter pocketing the rest - when I ask for more I keep being told its max.

Unregistered 04-01-2021 11:08 PM

Try not to go through an agency or any external recruiters to get the job offer/contract as much as possible as they take a significant cut. Apply to companies directly!

Unregistered 05-01-2021 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLostMan (Post 152574)
I got 4k Accenture from the recruiter - 1-year contract (no bonus) + 2month training (1k allowance) with the recruiter and I've tried asking more, they keep saying its max :/

Gut feeling the recruiter pocketing the rest - when I ask for more I keep being told its max.

From what I have seen, Accenture is 3.9k salary + 300 allowance, AWS and bonus for software engineer role.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152586)
From what I have seen, Accenture is 3.9k salary + 300 allowance, AWS and bonus for software engineer role.

That's 3.9k + 300 more than what you are getting

Unregistered 05-01-2021 09:46 AM

4.5k full time all in is possible

Unregistered 05-01-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLostMan (Post 152555)
Hi,

Is expecting 5k for fresh grad salary with the current situation acceptable? I did averagely (2nd class) from a Russel Grp uni in UK. Have an offer for 4 but feel undervalued. (1 Year Contract, no bonus) (Its also my 1st offer) Based of [URL="s://.salary.sg/2020/graduate-employment-survey-2019-published-2020/"]2019 Grad Salary Review[/ I feel 5 is acceptable.

Thanks

Fresh grad need a reality check.
This coming from a comp Sci nus graduate class of 2015.

I don't claim to be scholar or godlike. I'm second upper.
Havr developed and deployed actual working applications.
Website. Mobile. Web services. Reporting. Sql. Prototype. WiFi. Data analytics basic algorithms.
Image processing.

For a fresh grad to claim 5k is the acceptable starting pay. What a joke.
Each year I see fresh grad asking for than working people.

And yet they can't even write a simple working app with exception handling!!!!
Who we kidding fresh grad experience is limited to just computer lab work.

For an industry to value fresh grad over proven working experience is aslap in the face.
No wonder so many imposter syndrome in IT from fresh grad.

All throw out theory like they have value. If you can't write code to actualize a concept from a requirement spec to something user can use touch and pay money for.

Why do you think you are worth 5k???

I blame this on the government. Its the same thing they did back in the earlier days.. Engineering push bit engineers end up not getting really good pay. Then they push for bio engineering, life sciences I see my classmates from those branch come up with no job, join insurance etc.

Now government pushing for tech industry. Smart nation ********.
Here's a newsflash the tech industry bubble is in 2000 during the time of Google Facebook etc.

Honestly this gives me good ammo to abuse fresh grad who join!!!

Unregistered 05-01-2021 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152601)

Website. Mobile. Web services. Reporting. Sql. Prototype. WiFi. Data analytics basic algorithms.
Image processing.

For an industry to value fresh grad over proven working experience is aslap in the face.

All throw out theory like they have value. If you can't write code to actualize a concept from a requirement spec to something user can use touch and pay money for.

I blame this on the government. Its the same thing they did back in the earlier days.. Engineering push bit engineers end up not getting really good pay. Then they push for bio engineering, life sciences I see my classmates from those branch come up with no job, join insurance etc.

Here's a newsflash the tech industry bubble is in 2000 during the time of Google Facebook etc.

Get on with the time lah trash, now 2015 ah? Every decent 2nd upper in CS can get 4.5k above lol

Unregistered 05-01-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Image processing.

U sound likea salty boy stucked in a SME who lacks the proper leetcode skills to enter a decent tech company. Get on with the times, its 2021 not 2015. Any decent CS grad can enter Shoppe for 5.6k LOL. Bet u tried and failed

Unregistered 05-01-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Image processing.

You sound like a loser with pathetic leetcode skills that cmi any technical interviews hence now salty that fresh grad earning more than u who have 5 year experience LOL.

Get on with the times its 2021 not 2015, any decent chap can enter Shopee with 5.6k starting (bet u tried and failed). Accenture dont even have technical interview gets 4.2k starting.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152607)
You sound like a loser with pathetic leetcode skills that cmi any technical interviews hence now salty that fresh grad earning more than u who have 5 year experience LOL.

Get on with the times its 2021 not 2015, any decent chap can enter Shopee with 5.6k starting (bet u tried and failed). Accenture dont even have technical interview gets 4.2k starting.

Any decent chap 5.6k starting > why you not earning that then LOL

Accenture don't even have tech interview > are you retarded?

Not OP btw.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152607)

Then go join shopee lo.
My classmate joined govtech cause of the branding. End up his pay like 100 dollars more than me.
I go home at 530pm daily without overtime.

He everyday OT and need to standby etc. Government need website up ASAP.

On paper, yes he got ahead financially by 100. But to me that's just 2 pizza delivery difference for a work life balance. And care free life.

I get to play game after work. Go gym. Exercise.
He has to work until night. Then tomorrow need to go in early office again.

Not worth it.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 11:57 AM

Next year fresh grad expecting 5.6k above lol

Yet nus comp Sci can't take online exam without plagiarism and cheating. Caught in news lol

Unregistered 05-01-2021 12:03 PM

In 2019 NUS average salary for CS is $5,571

In 2020 I had friends who are offered around 3.5 -5 depending on their grades.

I am not sure how much they will offer in 2021.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152615)
In 2019 NUS average salary for CS is $5,571

In 2020 I had friends who are offered around 3.5 -5 depending on their grades.

I am not sure how much they will offer in 2021.

The average salary is reported by students. Fake data. No validation and alsl
Used by university to "sell" their courses to recruit more students.

I just showed your post to my colleagues lunch. All from nus. I ask them are their current pay now 5.6k

All of them see your post fumed. Say its ridiculous. We are all comp Sci nus graduate class of 2015. Next year should be asking for 5.8k la.

Singaporean are pathetic.
No wonder even Singapore company want to hire foreigners.

Singaporean want high pay. Do less work. And complain that things are expensive.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152616)

I just showed your post to my colleagues lunch. All from nus. I ask them are their current pay now 5.6k

All of them see your post fumed. Say its ridiculous. We are all comp Sci nus graduate class of 2015. Next year should be asking for 5.8k la.

Singaporean want high pay. Do less work. And complain that things are expensive.

Lol come join me in Shoppee lor, dnt whine if u n ur colleagues cmi leh

Unregistered 05-01-2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152609)
Any decent chap 5.6k starting > why you not earning that then LOL

Accenture don't even have tech interview > are you retarded?

Not OP btw.

Accenture is just a sweatshop for entry CS grads. They take in anybody who pass behavioral test. What tech interview u go for LOL?

Unregistered 05-01-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152620)

Don’t come here step one 5.6k Shopee when you can’t even spell Shopee pls

Keyboard warrior all day err day

Unregistered 05-01-2021 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152621)
Accenture is just a sweatshop for entry CS grads. They take in anybody who pass behavioral test. What tech interview u go for LOL?

Ya you are right there’s no tech interview at all. Can’t reason with a dumb fk anyway.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152616)

If you have 5 years experience and paid around 5.8 is still within the progression range for those who graduate with a basic or 3.5-4.5k salary.

For all we know the only one who key those data are the cream of crops, those who earn mediocre or lesser than the ''average'' will not bother to post their earning.

If it make you feel better, the median salary for singaporean is 4.5k. Your salary of 5.8 with 5 years experience already make you better than half of the population.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152620)

Sorry lo. I grab. Got promotion this year.

Shopee sucks. Grab got food, delivery, loan, investment, data analytics so many opportunities.
Shopee only sell stuff.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152624)
Don’t come here step one 5.6k Shopee when you can’t even spell Shopee pls

Keyboard warrior all day err day

Quite sad to study hard in uni. Endure all the advanced algorithm courses. Etc.

Onli to end up working for some merchant buy sell platform.

It's like studying to be a surgeon only to end up as a pharmacist dispense medicine.
Sad.

My peers in AI. Or smart nation. Or robotics. All the techie stuff

Shopee. Lol shopping platform. Yawn fest. No prestige

Unregistered 05-01-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152632)
Quite sad to study hard in uni. Endure all the advanced algorithm courses. Etc.

Onli to end up working for some merchant buy sell platform.

It's like studying to be a surgeon only to end up as a pharmacist dispense medicine.
Sad.

My peers in AI. Or smart nation. Or robotics. All the techie stuff

Shopee. Lol shopping platform. Yawn fest. No prestige

Good job to yer friends, yea idk why i joined shopee haiz.. How i wish i was doing AI or smart nation or robotics techie stuff. Could even join accenture / grab now need do stupid app sianzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxc

Unregistered 05-01-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152634)
Good job to yer friends, yea idk why i joined shopee haiz.. How i wish i was doing AI or smart nation or robotics techie stuff. Could even join accenture / grab now need do stupid app sianzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxc

Cheer up buttercup

Unregistered 05-01-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152638)
Cheer up buttercup

Daddy chill

Unregistered 05-01-2021 02:47 PM

Pour some sugar on me in the name of love.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152645)
Pour some sugar on me in the name of love.

U wanna me send with shopee express or J&T?

Unregistered 05-01-2021 10:14 PM

Shopee 5.6k? If you aced in their technical interview, you can nego 7k+

Unregistered 05-01-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152681)
Shopee 5.6k? If you aced in their technical interview, you can nego 7k+

I got through only 1 round of interview for shopee SWE as I was identified as high calibre candidate back in last September. I said minimum 8k, the HR say okay O.o

Btw I'm NUS CS FCH with multiple internship experience at Silicon Valley.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152682)
I got through only 1 round of interview for shopee SWE as I was identified as high calibre candidate back in last September. I said minimum 8k, the HR say okay O.o

Wow what have u learnt so far

Unregistered 05-01-2021 10:52 PM

While the bulk of this convo is on SWE, CS grads also have local data science opportunities at OP's target pay range.

I'm a male comp sci fresh grad with second upper and a couple of relevant internships in data science. Got into a data science role at a GLC when I graduated in 2020 with 5.5k basic monthly starting salary.

Leetcode is for muggers. That's why quite a lot of students prefer it as mugging is their strength. My assessment consists mainly of take-home assignments and panel interviews to discuss my solution.

I feel that my work is meaningful and impactful too -- not some glorified advertising agency. I start and leave work on the dot and never had to OT or touch weekends before.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152682)

That fast, I'm from SoC too but only got in only after 5. I assume you're hired. Which dept are u in?

Unregistered 05-01-2021 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152695)
That fast, I'm from SoC too but only got in only after 5. I assume you're hired. Which dept are u in?

Backend. I think the key is to negotiate. Shopee is willing to pay if they really want you

Unregistered 05-01-2021 11:48 PM

Anyone know the fresh grad pay for Bytedance?

Unregistered 06-01-2021 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152705)
Anyone know the fresh grad pay for Bytedance?

SWE ~7.5k fresh grad

Unregistered 06-01-2021 12:17 AM

Tier 1:
- Google/Facebook/Bytedance 7k+

Tier 2:
- GovTech 6.6k
- bloomberg 6k
- Goldman Sachs 5.8k
- Defence Trio (DSO/DSTA/CSIT) 5.5k (+4-5mths bonus)

Tier 3:
- Singtel MAP (Tech) 5.4k
- JPMorgan/Citi 5.4k
- Bank of America 5.3k
- DBS SEED/Other Foreign Banks BO 5k

Tier 4: (<4.5k)
- NCS
- Accenture
- ST engineering
- Big 4 accounting firms

Unregistered 06-01-2021 08:32 AM

I'm 15k per month.
Software architect.
I just draw diagram don't need to actually develop the app

Unregistered 06-01-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152716)
I'm 15k per month.
Software architect.
I just draw diagram don't need to actually develop the app

I'm shopee project manager. Liase with merchant. Business meeting etc.
Assign task to developer.. 20k per month.

Not sure why all the developer are so happy with their 7k.. When they have to work like slave while other positions are easier and more rewarding