Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Cybersecurity/Info security career (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12897-cybersecurity-info-security-career.html)

wilsonc 19-07-2020 07:59 PM

Cybersecurity/Info security career

Hi all, I see a lot of information about software engineer career in SG but not so much for cybersecurity/infosecurity so decided to make one thread here. Hopefully more people can share their career path, salary and working experience here.

To start it off, I am a fresh grad from a private uni and just started my career in cybersecurity as an engineer (mainly SIEM deployment/configuration). My salary is low 3k working in a local cybersecurity company.

I only started working for a couple of months so not much to share as of now.

Looking forward to your sharing!

Unregistered 20-07-2020 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonc (Post 142082)
Hi all, I see a lot of information about software engineer career in SG but not so much for cybersecurity/infosecurity so decided to make one thread here. Hopefully more people can share their career path, salary and working experience here.

To start it off, I am a fresh grad from a private uni and just started my career in cybersecurity as an engineer (mainly SIEM deployment/configuration). My salary is low 3k working in a local cybersecurity company.

The salary offered is before covid or during covid? Do you do standby or 12 hour shifts?

Unregistered 20-07-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

are you doing implementation/deployment or reviewing/consulting work? i think if you are looking at the career path, talk to more of your senior, ask them about the progression.

Anyway, i think for security, you really need Cert...CISSP, SANS, Crest.......

wilsonc 20-07-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142111)
The salary offered is before covid or during covid? Do you do standby or 12 hour shifts?

Offered during covid. No 12 hour shift but do standby.

wilsonc 20-07-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142121)
are you doing implementation/deployment or reviewing/consulting work? i think if you are looking at the career path, talk to more of your senior, ask them about the progression.

Anyway, i think for security, you really need Cert...CISSP, SANS, Crest.......

Mainly doing deployment/onboarding for siem, log source etc. I agree that working in this industry have to keep learning and go for certs.

Unregistered 20-07-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonc (Post 142165)
Mainly doing deployment/onboarding for siem, log source etc. I agree that working in this industry have to keep learning and go for certs.

your work.... dun really sound different to those ppl who is working as system integration deployment in STE and NCS.

i would rather do IR, threat hunting, GRC or pentest which is more unique to security la.

wilsonc 20-07-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142179)
your work.... dun really sound different to those ppl who is working as system integration deployment in STE and NCS.

i would rather do IR, threat hunting, GRC or pentest which is more unique to security la.

Ya but hard to join threat hunting/pentest for fresh grad. Also, I graduated during CB so there weren't many options to be honest. My plan is to go for OSCP in the near future and do pentest. Any pentester can share their working experience/ salary?

Unregistered 20-07-2020 11:32 PM

Go try big 4 or ensign for pentest, they are alway hiring ppl cos turn over rate quite high

Fresh grad pay shld be 3.5-4k depend on which one you join...

@_@h 13-08-2020 12:20 AM

Hi guys, how’s the work culture and career progression in Ensign? I see they have openings now, wish to find out more before applying.

Am checking on their Cybersecurity consultant roles, need to do OT everyday or not?

Unregistered 13-08-2020 11:15 AM

if you are looking for progression and you are new to the field, best is to go to boutique. life is tough there but at the end of the day you will learn a lot and most properly have a lot of security cert....

go look at f secure, sec consulting, centurion, horangi.......

wilsonc 14-08-2020 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143796)
if you are looking for progression and you are new to the field, best is to go to boutique. life is tough there but at the end of the day you will learn a lot and most properly have a lot of security cert....

go look at f secure, sec consulting, centurion, horangi.......

Hmm, I think those companies are quite hard to get in as a fresh grad unless you have certs like OSCP already. Are you working in one of them?

Unregistered 16-08-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonc (Post 143884)
Hmm, I think those companies are quite hard to get in as a fresh grad unless you have certs like OSCP already. Are you working in one of them?

Yes, I am in one of them. Not really required cert... Just you need to show them your interest and be really to take 4-5 cert from offsec and Crest in the first yr. This is what my boss expected me to have that time

Unregistered 17-08-2020 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143960)
Yes, I am in one of them. Not really required cert... Just you need to show them your interest and be really to take 4-5 cert from offsec and Crest in the first yr. This is what my boss expected me to have that time

Are you from local u or have good github portfolio? Last year before covid I applied Centurion, Horangi pentester role but didn't get any reply from them :(

Unregistered 17-08-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Which local cybersecurity company ?

wilsonc 01-09-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144035)
Which local cybersecurity company ?

Company name starts with E, very easy to guess haha.

Unregistered 02-09-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonc (Post 144843)
Company name starts with E, very easy to guess haha.

Ensign aka Quann amazing eCop

Unregistered 03-09-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonc (Post 142165)

Try to minimal log source boarding & setup job as not much value .

Focus on security solution .

My 2 cents advice .

Unregistered 20-01-2021 07:36 PM

Try CSA/DSTA, they pay higher

Unregistered 20-01-2021 11:00 PM

Seem like government is focusing pretty a lot on cybersecurity. Massively recruiting

Unregistered 22-01-2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154582)

join sunny gogogo

Unregistered 22-01-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154961)
join sunny gogogo

betting he will quit in 6 mths 😆

Unregistered 21-02-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154963)

huh what are you guys talking about? sunny?

Unregistered 21-02-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154582)

I think Govtech pay higher

Unregistered 21-02-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

How much u bet?

Unregistered 21-02-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156727)
huh what are you guys talking about? sunny?

you want join CSA, dunno who is sunny neo?

Unregistered 21-02-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Hello, Sunny here. Thanks for betting but based on what I have experienced so far, your bet is most likely misplaced. Since it's CNY, I wish you HUAT AR in other areas.

Anyway my team is always looking out for interesting talents to join us. I don't come here often, so if you are interested in finding out about what we do, please reach out to me via other means.

Unregistered 21-02-2021 10:41 PM

how we know real sunny or fake sunny

Unregistered 22-02-2021 03:20 PM

Could be the nus sim guy from ither thread sneaking here

Unregistered 18-03-2021 09:48 PM

Big 4 Cybersecurity consulting or hedge fund cybersecurity role

Hello, reviving this thread. I’m a fresh grad and have 2 offers on the table. One is an associate role for cybersecurity in big 4 and another is a cybersecurity graduate role for a hedge fund. Which one would be the better option for a fresh grad? I know big 4 is the more stable option but would a cybersecurity career in a hedge fund be the same also due to the nature of the cybersecurity Industry

Unregistered 18-03-2021 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 159763)
Hello, reviving this thread. I’m a fresh grad and have 2 offers on the table. One is an associate role for cybersecurity in big 4 and another is a cybersecurity graduate role for a hedge fund. Which one would be the better option for a fresh grad? I know big 4 is the more stable option but would a cybersecurity career in a hedge fund be the same also due to the nature of the cybersecurity Industry

if you are fresh, you need a job which can provide exposure to be able to learn

Unregistered 19-03-2021 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 159763)

take the one with the higher pay... i feel big4 out of touch with cyber market salary.

Unregistered 06-04-2021 09:52 PM

Is Deloitte risk advisory a good start? I am currently deciding between Deloitte and a SME international cyber crime/sec company

Unregistered 06-04-2021 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164319)
Is Deloitte risk advisory a good start? I am currently deciding between Deloitte and a SME international cyber crime/sec company

join big4 like kpmg

Unregistered 06-04-2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164319)

No.. Big 4 is well known for severely underpaying fresh grads and cyber risk advisory is just a very small subset of the entire market. You'll most likely be stuck in the cyber compliance / advisory space..

Their cybersec capabilities are quite limited as well.

Unregistered 07-04-2021 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164320)
join big4 like kpmg

Tot all the big 4 are doing the similar stuff?

Unregistered 07-04-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164331)
No.. Big 4 is well known for severely underpaying fresh grads and cyber risk advisory is just a very small subset of the entire market. You'll most likely be stuck in the cyber compliance / advisory space..

Their cybersec capabilities are quite limited as well.

Hmmm I should go SME first? Feel not many choices if you wanna do cyber sec, and quite hard to find an entry role as well

Unregistered 08-04-2021 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164584)
Hmmm I should go SME first? Feel not many choices if you wanna do cyber sec, and quite hard to find an entry role as well

Get entry cybersec certifications like CEH and OSCP first. This will give you a chance to go for interview at some Security Consulting firms!

If not, you can try exploring Security Consulting role at NCS. They tend to train up people to become cybersecurity consultants. But... working hours are quite horrible

Unregistered 24-04-2021 12:13 AM

Should I rescind my big 4 offer :(

Fresh grad here... accepted an offer from a Big 4 firm to do cyber consulting but received an offer today as a SOC security analyst from a cybersecurity company. Exit opportunities in the big 4 are good but will my exit opportunities be equally great if I took on the SOC security analyst role?

Background context:
had 2 years of SOC experience in NS
have a degree in cybersec from local u

Really don't know what to do hence asking for advice haha. appreciate any advice given!

Unregistered 24-04-2021 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166378)
Fresh grad here... accepted an offer from a Big 4 firm to do cyber consulting but received an offer today as a SOC security analyst from a cybersecurity company. Exit opportunities in the big 4 are good but will my exit opportunities be equally great if I took on the SOC security analyst role?

Background context:

Really don't know what to do hence asking for advice haha. appreciate any advice given!

Which path do you want to specialize in? Or what is your aspiration / long term goal? I’m sure the compensation as a SOC analyst is higher.

Unregistered 24-04-2021 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166378)

Background context:

depends on what is the job scope of cyber consulting. For a niche scope such as penetration testing if you do not have any certificates, you will not be doing much in a big4. basically they need people to perform mundane tasks but whether you learn the stuff depends on how you spend time after work to obtain it.