Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Cybersecurity/Info security career (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12897-cybersecurity-info-security-career.html)

Unregistered 19-03-2022 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209186)
recently went for a interview the HR still ask for last drawn and say offer will be 10-15% more.

over the last 2-3 years i attained more than 5-6 include professional certification like CISSP CISM, how to use that to my benefit to ask for more than salary instead of base of my last drawn

By telling them you have offers already and be prepared to walk away

Unregistered 19-03-2022 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209212)
The company is angmo company and is startup, the HR is still local sinkie...
I am sure the HR dun know the value of those certification and just copy n paste all the preferred cert onto the JD itself

You are doing risk right? Actually is quite common that risk ppl to have cissp with isaca cism, crisc and cisa plus some vendor cloud cert.

Unregistered 20-03-2022 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209276)
You are doing risk right? Actually is quite common that risk ppl to have cissp with isaca cism, crisc and cisa plus some vendor cloud cert.

not really specific to risk only, I can do programming, scripting, architect, virtualization, cloud security.

nowadays with 1 skillset will not survive

Unregistered 20-03-2022 08:28 AM

the company has no reason to change their hr policy for you. if you think they are not compensating you fairly then tell them bye bye

Unregistered 20-03-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209311)
the company has no reason to change their hr policy for you. if you think they are not compensating you fairly then tell them bye bye

yea guess i wont try to argue with them, I have more compelling offer coming.
bigger tech coy didnt even ask for my last drawn only ask for my credential and proof of employment.
guess the startup mindset still kicks in

Unregistered 20-03-2022 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209204)
if you are talking about increment, i think the issue is with the company which you are interviewing then than your cert. it might be that company culture is already very established and mature which they alway hire everyone with 10-15% increment or maybe the department which you are interviewing, everyone have cissp, cism and more, so you are not special which is why they nv intended to offer more.

if you want more then should try those startup or ang mo company

What special of CISSP & CISM?

I saw a lot manager have but don’t have technical skill at all.

Unregistered 21-03-2022 08:19 AM

Difficult EXAM but it common now especially during covid where a lot of ppl wfh and have spare time to study.

Cism and cissp is actually common in a lot of senior or risk department.

Unregistered 21-03-2022 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209455)
What special of CISSP & CISM?

I saw a lot manager have but don’t have technical skill at all.

Technical skill will not get you far in career.
I am looking for lesser hands-on dirty work to progress.

Unregistered 21-03-2022 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209516)
Technical skill will not get you far in career.
I am looking for lesser hands-on dirty work to progress.

Everybody wanna be manager but nobody wanna do technical work lmao

Please guys, continue to be your PM don’t turn back!

Unregistered 21-03-2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209521)
Everybody wanna be manager but nobody wanna do technical work lmao

Please guys, continue to be your PM don’t turn back!

Technical work for fresh grad, newbie to do lah

Unregistered 24-03-2022 01:50 PM

anyone tried applying UOB Technology Development Programme 2022?

Unregistered 03-04-2022 08:14 AM

420k per annum as a FAANG security engineer at age 32. Local uni grad. I interview for candidates across Asia Pacific who are paid 240-420k. Feel free to ask me anything.

Unregistered 03-04-2022 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211953)
420k per annum as a FAANG security engineer at age 32. Local uni grad. I interview for candidates across Asia Pacific who are paid 240-420k. Feel free to ask me anything.

how do you know the people whom you interview are being paid less than you?? :)

Momonga 03-04-2022 07:42 PM

Quote:

I am a fresh graduate who recently starting working in a cyber security company. I'm interested in a breadth of domains of cyber security and am slowly trying to gain as much technical knowledge as possible. Thankful my company enables easy switch between its teams and would ensure I can experience multiple roles. what advice do you have for such a person, who strives to reach a position such as yourself? Thank you very much for your help!

Unregistered 04-04-2022 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momonga (Post 212072)
I am a fresh graduate who recently starting working in a cyber security company. I'm interested in a breadth of domains of cyber security and am slowly trying to gain as much technical knowledge as possible. Thankful my company enables easy switch between its teams and would ensure I can experience multiple roles. what advice do you have for such a person, who strives to reach a position such as yourself? Thank you very much for your help!

u join N sign ah?

Unregistered 04-04-2022 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212117)
u join N sign ah?

heard this coy just throw you under the bus and figure out yourself

Unregistered 04-04-2022 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212121)
heard this coy just throw you under the bus and figure out yourself

wow. how about ant see as or as tee

Unregistered 04-04-2022 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212169)
wow. how about ant see as or as tee

Every where same , swim yourself.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 10:51 PM

Quote:

How u nego for that amount?

Unregistered 05-04-2022 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212286)
How u nego for that amount?

Not much negotiation frankly. Just prove you're competent and the companies will pay. The hr and management knows how much the market is paying. I've 10+ cybersecurity certs (all the gold standards) and have always been in big tech. I know both technical level stuff and strategic stuff and a bit of management (team lead). If you ask me to calculate encryption by hand I can do it. If you ask me about evasion techniques, I can demonstrate it. If you ask me about defense and how to tighten policies, I can do it too. I also code in python building automation in the cloud for incident response.

I consider myself above average in big tech. There's a lot more smarter people in faang who knows significantly more and deeper than I do. In terms of interviews if you're keen, yeah, I test candidates across multiple domains for breath and depth. From ha, Dr, coding, memory management, strategic, security compliance, Linux, cluster management, kubernetes etc. Normally we need the candidates to hit at least 75% of the questions, if not, we can't hire. as the work we do impact millions with every change or publication.

Unregistered 05-04-2022 08:43 PM

Quote:

1) How to prepare for interview for FAANG security engineer? Leetcode questions?
2) What certs do you have?
3) What kind of security engineer (Pentest, Infra, SRE, devops, SOC/IR) ?

Unregistered 05-04-2022 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212308)
Not much negotiation frankly. Just prove you're competent and the companies will pay. The hr and management knows how much the market is paying. I've 10+ cybersecurity certs (all the gold standards) and have always been in big tech. I know both technical level stuff and strategic stuff and a bit of management (team lead). If you ask me to calculate encryption by hand I can do it. If you ask me about evasion techniques, I can demonstrate it. If you ask me about defense and how to tighten policies, I can do it too. I also code in python building automation in the cloud for incident response.

I consider myself above average in big tech. There's a lot more smarter people in faang who knows significantly more and deeper than I do. In terms of interviews if you're keen, yeah, I test candidates across multiple domains for breath and depth. From ha, Dr, coding, memory management, strategic, security compliance, Linux, cluster management, kubernetes etc. Normally we need the candidates to hit at least 75% of the questions, if not, we can't hire. as the work we do impact millions with every change or publication.

Ty! Self development wise, what advice would you give to somebody doing security ops?

Unregistered 22-04-2022 03:40 PM

what about sscp?

I've read through all the threads and realized no one mentioned SSCP as a cyber security personnel.

Want to go into path of doing day 2 security analyst(i think?) that does pro-active(prevention) checks on threats/attack, which roles are more suitable as I've checked across CareerSG, JS, LinkedIn but found almost none similar to this.

Any legit recommendations is appreciated.
TGIF peeps

Unregistered 22-04-2022 05:48 PM

Interested in cybersecurity but has no prior experience. Any company take in mid career switcher?

Unregistered 22-04-2022 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215131)
Interested in cybersecurity but has no prior experience. Any company take in mid career switcher?

Can try Ensign. They quite friendly to mid career switcher.

Unregistered 22-04-2022 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215134)
Can try Ensign. They quite friendly to mid career switcher.

Is this still a bad place? Not much good reviews from the first few pages

Unregistered 22-04-2022 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215131)

try PulseSecure if interested in pentesting

Unregistered 22-04-2022 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215156)
try PulseSecure if interested in pentesting

Any reviews on this company?

Unregistered 22-04-2022 10:25 PM

try oem vendors like fortinet, they are recently hiring SOC folks
if security doesnt work out for u, a cert from firewall vendor would be useful too

Unregistered 22-04-2022 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215157)
Any reviews on this company?

cookie cutter pen testing

Unregistered 23-04-2022 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215138)
Is this still a bad place? Not much good reviews from the first few pages

Consider not bad for mid career switcher.

Unregistered 28-04-2022 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 215185)
cookie cutter pen testing

Which is just right for mid-career switcher, since the job will be primarily on bread & butter VA/PT, the learning curve won’t be that steep (for most).

I was from there. Flexible and homely environment.

Unregistered 28-04-2022 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216082)
Which is just right for mid-career switcher, since the job will be primarily on bread & butter VA/PT, the learning curve won’t be that steep (for most).

I was from there. Flexible and homely environment.

Good place to learn? Where u move on to?

Unregistered 14-05-2022 09:41 PM

I just got CISSP but I'm considering working towards OSCP next to get my foot into pentesting. Is there any benefit in that? I'm currently in a security administrative/incident response role. No major shift work since we hire vsoc

Unregistered 16-05-2022 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217836)
I just got CISSP but I'm considering working towards OSCP next to get my foot into pentesting. Is there any benefit in that? I'm currently in a security administrative/incident response role. No major shift work since we hire vsoc

Too many pentesters in the market. Nowadays, fresh grads from infosec degree are quite well-trained in school and can be fairly competent pentesters within a year. Can try look for opportunities at defenders side since you already have some experience (less "exciting" but also less competitive and very essential)

Unregistered 27-05-2022 04:46 AM

Hi guys, can you recommend me a few good companies for SOC analysts to start for entry level career. Thanks very much in advance !

Unregistered 27-05-2022 12:36 PM

Quote:

Your side got pentesting

Unregistered 27-05-2022 03:07 PM

Quote:

Pentester looks cool but real life doesn't.

Stick with CISSP become management and ask Pentester deliver for u.

Unregistered 29-05-2022 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219363)
Pentester looks cool but real life doesn't.

Stick with CISSP become management and ask Pentester deliver for u.

Cissp need 5 yr of job exp to aquire and you properly wun be hired as a management directly as a fresh grad.

If you are talking about vendor management, I would advise you to avoid. Basically anything related to security you will throw it to the vendor, while you are doing the pmo job. Plus this role dun really need you to have much security exp, basically any ppl can do it mean that you can be ezily replaceable

Some of my friends stuck in that role cos they learn nothing and is very hard for them to exit.

Unregistered 11-06-2022 10:14 PM

If starting out or finding a new direction in infosec career, can look at cloud security. Had a job interview with Big 4 partner who didn’t think pentest is lucrative anymore and wants to focus more on cloud security since both everyone in public and private sectors is migrating to cloud.