Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Cybersecurity/Info security career (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12897-cybersecurity-info-security-career.html)

Unregistered 29-07-2021 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178728)
hahaha what's wrong with E*****? Heard from people in the industry it's one of the better one among the SI leh...

Externally very glamorous and well but internally not very structured and reorg every other year so far since conception 2019. Staff retention is bad, and recently hiring alot non it staff to train while more experienced ones left.

Pb/vb slightly higher than other SI, pay and increment is worse than the other SI unless you from their "royal" family.

More of vendor management instead of hands on for engineers.

Have been through a few SI, definitely wont be going back to ensign ever again...

Unregistered 29-07-2021 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178721)
Anything wrong to join "E N S I G N" ?

This company renamed from eCop to Quann to Ensign. As per the idiom, change soup but never change herbs, the foul odor still remains.

Unregistered 29-07-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178732)
Externally very glamorous and well but internally not very structured and reorg every other year so far since conception 2019. Staff retention is bad, and recently hiring alot non it staff to train while more experienced ones left.

Pb/vb slightly higher than other SI, pay and increment is worse than the other SI unless you from their "royal" family.

More of vendor management instead of hands on for engineers.

Have been through a few SI, definitely wont be going back to ensign ever again...

This is very true. The pay and increment is very bad...

Unregistered 31-07-2021 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178742)
This company renamed from eCop to Quann to Ensign. As per the idiom, change soup but never change herbs, the foul odor still remains.

hahaha dunno gonna change name again or not..

but under temasek leh lololol got mother temasek.

Unregistered 31-07-2021 11:17 PM

E confirm better than N la hahahaha

wilsonc 11-08-2021 09:11 PM

hi everyone, havent come in here in a long while and was surprised to see that this thread has 10 pages lol. Anyway, just to share my short experience working in IT cybersecurity industry as a cybersecurity engineer.

Maybe it is the place i was working at or maybe it is the domain i was in but I realised that the average cybersecurity engineer are not very skilled...basically we are like glorified IT worker la.

Secondly, i found out that cybersecurity doesn't really pay well and there's many weekend/sudden jobs at night. Again, this might be due to the place I was at/the role I was in so YMMV.

I think that those who are very skilled and most probably pays well are working in areas such as pentesters, malware analyst so try to aim for that area if you are really passionate about cybersecurity.

Anyway, I left my previous company in less than a year and transitioned to software engineer at a bank. If count my basic pay, I got a 80% increase in salary. So for those who are reading this, if you dont mind doing programming, just be a software engineer unless you really got passion for cybersecurity lol.

JasonMay 13-08-2021 08:04 AM

Cyber security is very important! For example, if you download a pirated program. Among its files, there may be one or more infected ones. A click on a suspicious news with a screaming headline, along with a transition to the site, can open a loading tab with a virus for a split second. Sometimes whole free programs or utilities like various "accelerators" of the computer can be created only for the purpose of spreading a virus sewn into them. If you use the same password on many sites, then if one of them is hacked, scammers will be able to gain access to your other pages. Hacked accounts can be used to send spam, fraudulently extort money from your friends and colleagues in social networks, to restore and change passwords to Internet banking, and much more. You can protect yourself by using https://jealouscomputers.com/strong-password-generator/ so how did this help me!

Unregistered 14-08-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonc (Post 179900)
hi everyone, havent come in here in a long while and was surprised to see that this thread has 10 pages lol. Anyway, just to share my short experience working in IT cybersecurity industry as a cybersecurity engineer.

Maybe it is the place i was working at or maybe it is the domain i was in but I realised that the average cybersecurity engineer are not very skilled...basically we are like glorified IT worker la.

Secondly, i found out that cybersecurity doesn't really pay well and there's many weekend/sudden jobs at night. Again, this might be due to the place I was at/the role I was in so YMMV.

I think that those who are very skilled and most probably pays well are working in areas such as pentesters, malware analyst so try to aim for that area if you are really passionate about cybersecurity.

Anyway, I left my previous company in less than a year and transitioned to software engineer at a bank. If count my basic pay, I got a 80% increase in salary. So for those who are reading this, if you dont mind doing programming, just be a software engineer unless you really got passion for cybersecurity lol.


The real money is in the product vendor side. Big boys like Palo Alto, Fortinet, Cisco, F5 etc all pay boatloads of money - easily twice or thrice that in SIs.

Unregistered 14-08-2021 02:16 PM

The high earners in cybersecurity are those in product vendors - pay is easily 2x to 3x of those in SIs.


Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonc (Post 179900)
hi everyone, havent come in here in a long while and was surprised to see that this thread has 10 pages lol. Anyway, just to share my short experience working in IT cybersecurity industry as a cybersecurity engineer.

Maybe it is the place i was working at or maybe it is the domain i was in but I realised that the average cybersecurity engineer are not very skilled...basically we are like glorified IT worker la.

Secondly, i found out that cybersecurity doesn't really pay well and there's many weekend/sudden jobs at night. Again, this might be due to the place I was at/the role I was in so YMMV.

I think that those who are very skilled and most probably pays well are working in areas such as pentesters, malware analyst so try to aim for that area if you are really passionate about cybersecurity.

Anyway, I left my previous company in less than a year and transitioned to software engineer at a bank. If count my basic pay, I got a 80% increase in salary. So for those who are reading this, if you dont mind doing programming, just be a software engineer unless you really got passion for cybersecurity lol.


wilsonc 14-08-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180086)
The high earners in cybersecurity are those in product vendors - pay is easily 2x to 3x of those in SIs.

Can share some examples of companies/roles? No way the pay is 2x to 3x of SIs la unless you talking about C level positions..


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2