Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Cybersecurity/Info security career (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12897-cybersecurity-info-security-career.html)

wilsonc 19-07-2020 07:59 PM

Cybersecurity/Info security career

Hi all, I see a lot of information about software engineer career in SG but not so much for cybersecurity/infosecurity so decided to make one thread here. Hopefully more people can share their career path, salary and working experience here.

To start it off, I am a fresh grad from a private uni and just started my career in cybersecurity as an engineer (mainly SIEM deployment/configuration). My salary is low 3k working in a local cybersecurity company.

I only started working for a couple of months so not much to share as of now.

Looking forward to your sharing!

Unregistered 20-07-2020 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonc (Post 142082)
Hi all, I see a lot of information about software engineer career in SG but not so much for cybersecurity/infosecurity so decided to make one thread here. Hopefully more people can share their career path, salary and working experience here.

To start it off, I am a fresh grad from a private uni and just started my career in cybersecurity as an engineer (mainly SIEM deployment/configuration). My salary is low 3k working in a local cybersecurity company.

The salary offered is before covid or during covid? Do you do standby or 12 hour shifts?

Unregistered 20-07-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonc (Post 142082)

are you doing implementation/deployment or reviewing/consulting work? i think if you are looking at the career path, talk to more of your senior, ask them about the progression.

Anyway, i think for security, you really need Cert...CISSP, SANS, Crest.......

wilsonc 20-07-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142111)
The salary offered is before covid or during covid? Do you do standby or 12 hour shifts?

Offered during covid. No 12 hour shift but do standby.

wilsonc 20-07-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142121)
are you doing implementation/deployment or reviewing/consulting work? i think if you are looking at the career path, talk to more of your senior, ask them about the progression.

Anyway, i think for security, you really need Cert...CISSP, SANS, Crest.......

Mainly doing deployment/onboarding for siem, log source etc. I agree that working in this industry have to keep learning and go for certs.

Unregistered 20-07-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonc (Post 142165)
Mainly doing deployment/onboarding for siem, log source etc. I agree that working in this industry have to keep learning and go for certs.

your work.... dun really sound different to those ppl who is working as system integration deployment in STE and NCS.

i would rather do IR, threat hunting, GRC or pentest which is more unique to security la.

wilsonc 20-07-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142179)
your work.... dun really sound different to those ppl who is working as system integration deployment in STE and NCS.

i would rather do IR, threat hunting, GRC or pentest which is more unique to security la.

Ya but hard to join threat hunting/pentest for fresh grad. Also, I graduated during CB so there weren't many options to be honest. My plan is to go for OSCP in the near future and do pentest. Any pentester can share their working experience/ salary?

Unregistered 20-07-2020 11:32 PM

Go try big 4 or ensign for pentest, they are alway hiring ppl cos turn over rate quite high

Fresh grad pay shld be 3.5-4k depend on which one you join...

@_@h 13-08-2020 12:20 AM

Hi guys, how’s the work culture and career progression in Ensign? I see they have openings now, wish to find out more before applying.

Am checking on their Cybersecurity consultant roles, need to do OT everyday or not?

Unregistered 13-08-2020 11:15 AM

if you are looking for progression and you are new to the field, best is to go to boutique. life is tough there but at the end of the day you will learn a lot and most properly have a lot of security cert....

go look at f secure, sec consulting, centurion, horangi.......