Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Service Current Estimated Potential (CEP) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1218-civil-service-current-estimated-potential-cep.html)

blackswan 09-04-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10285)
and another thing, I think people generally do not like to show that their subordinates have a much higher capability, especially if the person grading the subordinate is of a low CEP.

quite true... but sometimes depend of the type of boss.
some old bosses gg to retire might want to groom and help young and bright officers. They might give them CEP higher than himself as he would have retired long before he reach the boss grade.

Unregistered 11-11-2011 06:13 PM

any ways to know your own CEP?

Unregistered 14-11-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10803)
2nd lower does translate to a lower CEP at the start

starting pay will also be lower

the ministries/stat boards that take in 2nd lower are also of a "lower tier" and the job scope tend to be on the operations side rather than policy related work.

good points: operations, closer to industry, easier to network, more relevant experience
bad points: less opportunities to see and interact with the perm secs, ministers etc, which is vital if u want to climb civil service ladder.

on the point of CEP and performance appraisal, civil service have guidelines which ur superiors will use to in appraising you. it is very cumbersome for them to deviate from the guideline (writing their report and putting their names on the line for u). some other forumners indicated there's also a quota system so every yr only so many people can be graded an A performer, or increase their CEP.

if ur goal is to be a top civil servant (perm sec level), go into private sector first. get some years experience, a very good track record and come in mid-career with a higher CEP or even directly into the AO. civil service will always try to match last drawn pay.

if u like the job scope of that particular ministry/stat board, by all means pursue your passion. i'm a 2nd upper going into a ministry filled with overseas scholars and local 1:1s, i know i'll be a farmer there. but it's the nature of the work that appeals to me.

if u just want a stable job, 9 to 5. choose the ministry/stat board carefully. and that's the best place to be. stay as an asst director from 30-35, then promote to DD or D for last 5 years then retire. why not?

it all depends on what you want =) and all the best in job search!

U joining MFA or MTI?

alwaysnforever 09-01-2012 11:24 AM

Can i know a CEP of PR(9)H refers to what rank?

Bean 09-01-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysnforever (Post 19595)
Can i know a CEP of PR(9)H refers to what rank?

I am guessing should be superscale H. Or MX9

Job grade: MX9 (Superscale)
Job title: Deputy Director, Director
Pay scale: S$10,580 – S$14,550 / S$14,551 – S$16,540

Civil Service Pay Scale in Singapore | Salary in Singapore | SG Salary Guide to Pay, Income and Jobs

miwashi 09-01-2012 12:48 PM

Seriously, even if one has a very good CEP, how many actually reach that point? After all, any organization only has so many directors, and 1 or 2 CEOs and they won't leave unless they retire or get posted out.

alwaysnforever 09-01-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 19602)
Seriously, even if one has a very good CEP, how many actually reach that point? After all, any organization only has so many directors, and 1 or 2 CEOs and they won't leave unless they retire or get posted out.

my organisation is quite large, and secondments are also possible, so there are still chances.

Heath 09-01-2012 02:06 PM

is it possible to bust the upper end of the salary range wifout being promoted ?

im quite close to the upper bound but im not due for promotion yet :o

Nani 17-01-2012 02:12 PM

Hi guys, may i ask a question?

If a civil servant with a high CEP (more than 3 times his current grade) leaves the civil service for stat board positions, is there any advantage?

I am fully aware that the CEP is irrelevant for private sector (correct me if i am wrong), but for public service (stat board), should have some advantage right? Some people say can 'bring over' the CEP to your next job, so long as you're within the civil or public service.

Glad if anyone can comment on this. Thanks.

Unregistered 17-01-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 19602)

Yes, that's why a lot of people feel "betrayed" when their career never progress like what their CEP indicate.

An average size stat board or ministry ratio is roughly 1 Head : 10 Directors : 30+ Deputy Directors. But if you look at a normal degree non-scholar CEP, most will indicate potential up to Director or Deputy Director.

Then you take a look at how many Executives, Managers and Assistant Directors there are, there just isn't enough senior positions to fit in everyone. Together with the low attrition rate of government jobs, in the end you will end up like 8 people with same CEP at DD competing for 1 avaiable DD opening.

CEP is a code word for career ceiling, it does not mean that is the likely career path, it just mean best possible career path you can ever get.