Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   Getting MBA worth? (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/1706-getting-mba-worth.html)

Unregistered 05-05-2020 09:24 AM

anyone has recently graduated with an MBA?

what are your thoughts after having it and Is there a big of a difference in job progression or job switch?

Umesh Sodhani 08-01-2021 04:53 PM

An MBA is only worth the expense, time, and effort when the graduate plans to work in a business-related field, in management, or as a company founder. For those working in other industries, unless they are in management or leadership roles, an MBA may not be useful. Moreover, not all MBA degrees MBA Exams are created equal.

Unregistered 11-01-2021 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133288)

what are your thoughts after having it and Is there a big of a difference in job progression or job switch?

worthless on its own. most jobs dont need it.

Unregistered 11-01-2021 09:24 AM

Just a bragging rights.
Looks nice on resume.

Just like any other degree or cert.

Unregistered 21-01-2021 03:02 PM

Depends, MBA from a M7? Probably worth it. Especially Harvard/Stanford/Wharton.

MBA from local uni? Depends on your career progression and goals. But you'd most likely be better served going overseas or INSEAD.

When you get down to SIM MBAs (DL edition), it gets pretty laughable. I wouldn't wipe my butt with one of those lol :D

#simdegreesmatter
#satkisimwarrior

Unregistered 18-02-2021 01:26 PM

Quote:

Graduated in 2018. A joint degree between SMU and a top Europe business school.

Total cost about 100k

Changed 2 jobs since. Salary from 10k to 16k.

But having said that no one has brought up my MBA during intv. I think it might have help
during the shortlisting?

Knowledge wise yes. More business savvy for sure. Network is debatable. Hasn't got the need for it yet. But I'm sure it'll help in the long run.

EthanScott 19-02-2021 02:35 PM

Although I didn't get to go to Stanford for my MBA. This helped me understand how's life at Stanford.

Unregistered 30-09-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156455)
Graduated in 2018. A joint degree between SMU and a top Europe business school.

Total cost about 100k

Changed 2 jobs since. Salary from 10k to 16k.

But having said that no one has brought up my MBA during intv. I think it might have help
during the shortlisting?

Knowledge wise yes. More business savvy for sure. Network is debatable. Hasn't got the need for it yet. But I'm sure it'll help in the long run.

Woah, that's a huge jump! I'm graduating in Dec 2021 and my pay increased from ~4k to ~6k, for 5 years + of work experience.

Almost all of the employers have asked about my SMU MBA though, probably to check if it will clash with the working hours lol.

Unregistered 30-09-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

I feel it helps in getting shortlisted for related work interviews only, not necessary a huge pay jump, especially govt job, they want your cert but they don't want to pay you. I have got a Strathclyde MBA instead of local uni or even INSEAD mainly due to SG employers hardly being able to match the pay like how it was in US. I got an MBA not to start my business but to learn the different skills it provides, and prep myself for leadership roles. People have always mistaken that MBA is for business, if you have gone to one, it was never, the modules are useful in any corporate functions. If one is not flexible enough to use the skills learnt on your job, then I won't recommend you to take any.

Unregistered 04-10-2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184794)
I feel it helps in getting shortlisted for related work interviews only, not necessary a huge pay jump, especially govt job, they want your cert but they don't want to pay you. I have got a Strathclyde MBA instead of local uni or even INSEAD mainly due to SG employers hardly being able to match the pay like how it was in US. I got an MBA not to start my business but to learn the different skills it provides, and prep myself for leadership roles. People have always mistaken that MBA is for business, if you have gone to one, it was never, the modules are useful in any corporate functions. If one is not flexible enough to use the skills learnt on your job, then I won't recommend you to take any.

i think this post of yours sums up the entire forum LMAO