Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 27-12-2015, 02:23 AM
#1549 Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am the original post creator and I agree with the points you have refuted. The key point here is, how many actually do? The profile mentioned above is a typical SMU student, that's probably about 50% to 70% of the student population whereas someone of this profile at SIM would probably be 30% to 40% of the student population. By sheer numbers alone, a private grad will always be at a disadvantage which brings to the original last point - the culture. The fact that SIM is not as competitive as SMU, puts it as at significant disadvantage from day one. SMU students learn in a very cut-throat environment while SIM is much more laid-back, its something that is hard to change and considering that SIM takes in student of questionable calibre (Poly GPA less than 2.0 - seriously, I've been through poly and there's no excuse to get less than this), SIM will pretty much be at the lower end of the pecking order.
My point is, if you are smart and hardworking enough, there is hope.

This is the post which I was replying to:
"After reading this, i feel those who took their "private degree" @ PSB, MDIS, SIM & etc had just burn their money away.

Can anyone from "private degree" rebut this guy/gal?
It's kind of demoralizing to hear."

The person I replied to was demoralised and felt that private students asked for a rebuttal. I said "no". There is no need for a rebuttal. All that is said is mostly true (I expressed disagreement about the campus recruiting being a killer) and still there will surely be hope to do well as long as you ARE BETTER. (false dichotomy fallacy)

Then whether one is better is another story. I am not here to argue about that. If you suck, even if you go a local university nothing will come out of it.

People need to be FORWARD LOOKING. Failed to enter a local uni? Alright, now focus on becoming better. Of what point is it to debate what is already over? Does every student in a less reputable JC like YJC/IJC do worse than students from RIJC and HC ? No. There will be students from YJC/IJC scoring 90/90 A lvl rank points almost every year, and only 1/3 of RIJC and HC achieve that.

And I always stress my caveat "as long as you are better". There is no such thing as "doomed from day 1". Neither is does enrollment into a local university course promise a bright future.

General thoughts on the culture of this forum:
1) People need to be more open minded and accept the possibility that bright individuals with high potential slacked off in poly/JC, couldn't enter a local uni but still did better than local uni students in the end. Sure, only a small percentage of such people exist but they do exist. People are too quick to bash others the moment they hear that a private uni student did better. These people claiming high salaries after working for only a short span of time never said that this is a common outcome of students at their private school.

2) I find it hilarious that people are arguing about English. I aced A lvl GP. I'm a 4.0/4.0 gpa double degree local uni undergrad and the above is my standard of writing for an online forum. I have read forum posts that are written in better English. Does it mean that I am less intelligent than every one of those posters?