Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 24-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lol I'm not sure why non-local uni graduates are so delighted that they have local uni graduates working under them.

If you have already worked for >10 years, and are in your mid-thirties, I wouldn't be too surprised that there are fresh local uni graduates (who are 23/25 years old) under your wing. In fact, I would feel bad for you if that's not the case.
Its like those primary sch educated warrant officers in SAF being happy that they have so many NSFs of higher education having to work under them.

Old 24-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Its like those primary sch educated warrant officers in SAF being happy that they have so many NSFs of higher education having to work under them.
Exactly, stupid SIMs and their yaya Papua attitude.

Old 24-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Exactly, stupid SIMs and their yaya Papua attitude.
Actually, its not only about boastfulness or hot air.

I really don't understand why they are so proud about having failed to attain a degree or get into a reputable (i.e. not a private education provider) tertiary institution.

Why do they talk about their low educational attainment like as though it is a point of pride? "I come from SIM and I have 5 NUS graduates working under me and I make $15,000 a month!"

Good education is a wonderful thing to have. Getting a chance to learn in a reputable and stimulating environment like our local universities is a wonderful thing to have. In America and Europe, almost everybody goes to college, whether they are actually aiming for a high flying career /well paying job or not. It is part of their culture to do higher education, and not merely for a piece of paper.

It is always said that Singapore is a "Confucian society" and there's great emphasis on learning and being knowledgable and cultured. But I don't see it here.

How is it a point of pride to have failed to get into a good university (regardless of how much I'm earning now). If anything, I would be very sad that I missed a great opportunity and 4 years of university life in a real academic setting. These are good life experiences that cannot be easily enjoyed at other stages of your life, when you have family and other financial commitments.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't despise people of low education. Many of our parents' generation didn't have much schooling and they worked hard and did well in life. There are also many young Singaporeans who simply cannot not afford to go for university and I never despise them for that.

But SIM students obviously have the money to pay for expensive private tuition fees to get their degree. So its a matter of discipline that they did not get to a real full-fledged university. If I were them, I would be more regretful that I passed up a chance to study at a real university, rather than smug that I earn well in spite of not having studied in a good university.

Old 24-12-2015, 11:25 PM
Unregistered

Well, the hard truth is that SIM kids are NOT cut out for tertiary education no matter what they might think.

It's just funny when they brag about being in charge of some local uni grad.. Shows you how insecure these losers are.
Old 25-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
lol. Can i have your bloomberg ID? Lets see if you are really trading, and from UOL. LOL.
I did not say i'm in trading. I said i sell to FIs. Its a pity your level of comprehension is that low.

Also, if you have been to a dealing room before, you will know a bloomberg is not used by even most traders. Which market data provider one uses depends on the asset class focus and which FI you are from. I am in FX, so obviously im not using a Bloomberg. Go figure where over 80% of SGD spot is traded.
Old 26-12-2015, 01:04 AM
Unregistered

You said you're in an MNC? What industry?

Old 26-12-2015, 02:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
You said you're in an MNC? What industry?
financial data
Old 26-12-2015, 03:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wow!!!
After reading this, i feel those who took their "private degree" @ PSB, MDIS, SIM & etc had just burn their money away.

Can anyone from "private degree" rebut this guy/gal?
It's kind of demoralizing to hear.

Those from sales (i.e. property/ insurance) does NOT count.
Why? You just need O-Level. And sales is an art, not science. Anyone/anybody who is extrovert, brave & good communication skill, can do sales. If the person is good looking, even better.
What is there to rebut?

It's simple.

BE BETTER!

All he did was give insight on the profile of an above average SMU student. Lets run through every category he mentioned:

"Desire for a Job:"
If local university students start finding jobs at the start of their final year, private university students can always start searching for jobs earlier. Start on day 1.

Idk about NUS/NTU/SUTD but most SMU students take the internship at the end of year 3 very seriously, as if they are applying for a real job because they hope to convert that internship into a full-time job. This means that they are already finding their graduation job before they even apply for their end of year 3 internship, which is typically year 3 sem 1. Yup, so the majority of SMU students are already searching for their graduation job in year 3 sem 1 of a 4 year course. For certain competitive jobs like investment banking and management consulting, one needs to build up a competitive track record, which means you need to start planning the direction to build your portfolio latest by the start of year 2.

"Job Experience:"
Do internships that add more value.

This is also linked to your desire for a job, because a competitive internship as I mentioned earlier will require a good track record and ability to pass the interviews.

"On Campus Recruiting:"
Okay he mentioned that this is a killer but I think that if you are really better, you can overcome this. Even token recruitment has its limits.

The caveat is that you must really be better. You can apply to the firm directly. If I am an investment firm recruiter and you demonstrate that you can analyse and pitch stocks significantly better than the straight A double degree scholar from a better known university I might choose you even though I think that the other student has a better school name. But if both of you deliver roughly the same quality of analysis, then I would be inclined to recruit the person with a better school name/track record.

"Leadership Experience:"
He labelled the section as "leadership experience" but I think what he described was more about CCA records + overseas exchange. Overseas exchange aside, I believe that private uni students can also build up vibrant CCA records. He represented SMU and took up an exco position? I believe SIM students have similar opportunities.

All in all, the gist is simply to be better. Be so good that companies want you more than the other local uni grads.

Singapore has public libraries and free internet connection. Information that one needs to upgrade oneself is available to any Tom, Dick or Harry on the street! There is no excuse!
Old 26-12-2015, 03:58 AM
Unregistered

You are very naive.

Most SIM kids don't even get to the interview rounds; HR of competitive MNCs/FIs literally shreds their resumes or toss them away, so how to prove that they are "better"?
Old 26-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What is there to rebut?

It's simple.

BE BETTER!

All he did was give insight on the profile of an above average SMU student. Lets run through every category he mentioned:

"Desire for a Job:"
If local university students start finding jobs at the start of their final year, private university students can always start searching for jobs earlier. Start on day 1.

Idk about NUS/NTU/SUTD but most SMU students take the internship at the end of year 3 very seriously, as if they are applying for a real job because they hope to convert that internship into a full-time job. This means that they are already finding their graduation job before they even apply for their end of year 3 internship, which is typically year 3 sem 1. Yup, so the majority of SMU students are already searching for their graduation job in year 3 sem 1 of a 4 year course. For certain competitive jobs like investment banking and management consulting, one needs to build up a competitive track record, which means you need to start planning the direction to build your portfolio latest by the start of year 2.

"Job Experience:"
Do internships that add more value.

This is also linked to your desire for a job, because a competitive internship as I mentioned earlier will require a good track record and ability to pass the interviews.

"On Campus Recruiting:"
Okay he mentioned that this is a killer but I think that if you are really better, you can overcome this. Even token recruitment has its limits.

The caveat is that you must really be better. You can apply to the firm directly. If I am an investment firm recruiter and you demonstrate that you can analyse and pitch stocks significantly better than the straight A double degree scholar from a better known university I might choose you even though I think that the other student has a better school name. But if both of you deliver roughly the same quality of analysis, then I would be inclined to recruit the person with a better school name/track record.

"Leadership Experience:"
He labelled the section as "leadership experience" but I think what he described was more about CCA records + overseas exchange. Overseas exchange aside, I believe that private uni students can also build up vibrant CCA records. He represented SMU and took up an exco position? I believe SIM students have similar opportunities.

All in all, the gist is simply to be better. Be so good that companies want you more than the other local uni grads.

Singapore has public libraries and free internet connection. Information that one needs to upgrade oneself is available to any Tom, Dick or Harry on the street! There is no excuse!
I am the original post creator and I agree with the points you have refuted. The key point here is, how many actually do? The profile mentioned above is a typical SMU student, that's probably about 50% to 70% of the student population whereas someone of this profile at SIM would probably be 30% to 40% of the student population. By sheer numbers alone, a private grad will always be at a disadvantage which brings to the original last point - the culture. The fact that SIM is not as competitive as SMU, puts it as at significant disadvantage from day one. SMU students learn in a very cut-throat environment while SIM is much more laid-back, its something that is hard to change and considering that SIM takes in student of questionable calibre (Poly GPA less than 2.0 - seriously, I've been through poly and there's no excuse to get less than this), SIM will pretty much be at the lower end of the pecking order.