Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 09:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are just delusional and living in a well. Developing countries are progressing faster than you think. Even in developing country such as India, they have many wealthy individuals. A merely 10% of the population will be much larger than singapore. What makes you think that they do not have the means to go for high end education? Even as lawyers, they can easily replace your jobs as their level of English will improve overtime. No industry is protected from FTs, this is globalisation. Do a quick search and you can see that many FTs working in foreign MNCs with good positions can be people from developing countries. Read more news and not disgrace yourself here
I am the poster you're replying to. My (legal) industry is naturally insulated from competition, not because of English standards or even educational standards or because our local universities are good, but because the legal system is an extension of the State's political power.

Lawyers are the only professionals with a monopoly on interacting with and navigating the legal system, on behalf of clients. As an extension of the State's power, there is no government in the world that will allow an influx of foreigners/FTs to do this.

Secondly, law services at its heart are people services, and legal services require locals with familiarity with the socio-cultural context to deliver. It's not merely about speaking the same language. The same cannot be said of accounting/financial services. Numbers are numbers everywhere.

If you need any proof, just look at the EU, which is the largest trading bloc in the world and has had free movement of goods and services (including professional services) for the longest time. You don't see cheap but highly educated education Eastern and Central European lawyers flooding the main markets of London or Paris, despite all the competitive price advantages they supposedly offer.

Some industries' workers are more fungible than others. I know what I'm talking about. Conversely, do you?