Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 02:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, need advice. I am a third year BT, entered service in 2020. Under the PGDE scheme so my bond period is 3 years. After some recent incidents, I have decided to leave the force once my bond period ends (2023). A few questions that I need guidance with.

1. Is there a way to check when exactly my bond period ends? I checked my Teacher Training Agreement (TTA) which was signed before commencement of NIE studies, and they do not provide any details. Should I email HR to ask? Will it set off any alarm bells in the school management?

2. The reason that I do not want SLs to approach me about it at this time is because I am due for promotion next cycle (P has already told me about this). I am afraid that once they know I'm leaving, promotion might not come. I would like to at least have a GEO3 and a higher salary reflected in my payslip for greater negotiating power in the search for my next career. Is this fear founded?

3. How many months' notice do I have to give? Is it realistic to project my last day of service to be end June 2023 (end of hols)? Or does HR not allow it as I am technically not "working" in June?

4. Any other advice for those who have done similar? Typically what would the resignation process be like?

Thanks everyone. Hope you have a great weekend and happy Mother's Day.
I believe you can resign at any time, but end of June is a good time because June is essentially free money. Also, you give your department and school time to find a replacement for you for semester two. Leaving at end of term is always less disruptive then middle of term (provided you are willing to stay a few more months). This also means you won’t leave on a bad note in case you want to return to teaching in future

Based on your info, I’m assuming you completed practicum in March 2020. So three years of trained teaching would mean your end of bond is likely to be 1st April 2023 as a definite date. Can double check, but this seems to be the case