Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 08-05-2022, 11:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, need advice. I am a third year BT, entered service in 2020. Under the PGDE scheme so my bond period is 3 years. After some recent incidents, I have decided to leave the force once my bond period ends (2023). A few questions that I need guidance with.

1. Is there a way to check when exactly my bond period ends? I checked my Teacher Training Agreement (TTA) which was signed before commencement of NIE studies, and they do not provide any details. Should I email HR to ask? Will it set off any alarm bells in the school management?

2. The reason that I do not want SLs to approach me about it at this time is because I am due for promotion next cycle (P has already told me about this). I am afraid that once they know I'm leaving, promotion might not come. I would like to at least have a GEO3 and a higher salary reflected in my payslip for greater negotiating power in the search for my next career. Is this fear founded?

3. How many months' notice do I have to give? Is it realistic to project my last day of service to be end June 2023 (end of hols)? Or does HR not allow it as I am technically not "working" in June?

4. Any other advice for those who have done similar? Typically what would the resignation process be like?

Thanks everyone. Hope you have a great weekend and happy Mother's Day.
Won't be able to advise on everything since things might have changed or become outdated...But it's still possible to find out more from everybody here

1. You can just call HR for quicker results about bond information. Don't need to mention anything about resignation haha. This way, there won't be any "flags" raised in any way.

2. If you wish to be safe, you should wait until you've been informed about a confirmed promotion. Cases of promotions getting delayed, or even withdrawn have happened before, though they're not very common.

3. I have heard of a KP resigning within a month or less. I'm guessing that these days, resignations are handled and processed very quickly?

I'm also interested in more information or answers to OP's questions

Old 08-05-2022, 02:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all, need advice. I am a third year BT, entered service in 2020. Under the PGDE scheme so my bond period is 3 years. After some recent incidents, I have decided to leave the force once my bond period ends (2023). A few questions that I need guidance with.

1. Is there a way to check when exactly my bond period ends? I checked my Teacher Training Agreement (TTA) which was signed before commencement of NIE studies, and they do not provide any details. Should I email HR to ask? Will it set off any alarm bells in the school management?

2. The reason that I do not want SLs to approach me about it at this time is because I am due for promotion next cycle (P has already told me about this). I am afraid that once they know I'm leaving, promotion might not come. I would like to at least have a GEO3 and a higher salary reflected in my payslip for greater negotiating power in the search for my next career. Is this fear founded?

3. How many months' notice do I have to give? Is it realistic to project my last day of service to be end June 2023 (end of hols)? Or does HR not allow it as I am technically not "working" in June?

4. Any other advice for those who have done similar? Typically what would the resignation process be like?

I believe you can resign at any time, but end of June is a good time because June is essentially free money. Also, you give your department and school time to find a replacement for you for semester two. Leaving at end of term is always less disruptive then middle of term (provided you are willing to stay a few more months). This also means you won’t leave on a bad note in case you want to return to teaching in future

Based on your info, I’m assuming you completed practicum in March 2020. So three years of trained teaching would mean your end of bond is likely to be 1st April 2023 as a definite date. Can double check, but this seems to be the case

Old 08-05-2022, 05:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Your bond starts counting from the day you are confirmed to be placed on permanent establishment, which I suppose should be 1 April 2020. So your bond will end on 31 March 2023. You can always email HR to find out, no need to mention about resignation. Notice period is one month.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Congrats on deciding to leave. It’s very difficult to get the exact end date from HR, and takes a long time. But you should be able to calculate roughly when, then ask them nearer the date - AFTER your promotion is confirmed. Otherwise, there’s a high chance your promotion may not happen. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

What happen to my colleague was,

1) called HR to confirm the date of last day - which was 1 Aug back then
2) he got promoted to GEO 4 in April so I assume the school doesn’t know about his intention
3) so during Aug he gave notice that he wants to leave in Sept, last day of term 3, so he gave one month notice period
4) but you need to let ur RO knows first because of deployment arrangement - he told his RO in July during the meet up session for year end discussion.

He left successfully at GEO 4 with quite a good pay hitting near to 6k gross. One way to leave very smooth is say you wan to go further studies.. but the fact is he didn’t lol

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2022, 03:42 PM
Unregistered

Check your HRP! It'll show your bond date.

Quote:

Old 11-05-2022, 04:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Have they done away with the promotion ceremony since covid?
They should be bringing it back this year with the SMMs relaxing.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

Anyone has any idea how one gets selected for FHQ posting? I have seen BTs being identified as well as those with high cep (generally scholars).

What difference does it have compared to one going for open HQ posting other than the difference in duration (2 years vs 3 years)
Old 11-05-2022, 06:24 PM
Verified Member

Tinkermaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have they done away with the promotion ceremony since covid?
I thought MOE just finished the SEO2/Superscale Ceremony. I think SEO1 and and GEO ceremony is at the discretion of the school. Actually no one really bothers, and the Principal usually call the GEO/SEO1 promotees into the office and hand them the certificate.