Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 17-02-2023 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240507)
There are criteria to cross the salary bar after 10,773; it's not automatic. Think need to get 2 C+ in a row, but better to check with your HR.

what could such criteria be?

Unregistered 17-02-2023 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240457)
Civil servant here. Something to think about before joining: does the current role make you marketable if you decide to leave? (Yes, rare, but it exists - look harder, e.g. mas, iras, edb can value add your CV depending on your role)

Yes, in CS you can stay there forever - but what if you no longer want to? What if your current boss is replaced by a total idiot? Keep your options open (even gg into the future). Nothing is worse than wanting to quit, and realising that you cant because you dont have the skillset for anything else.

In private they offer based on past drawn, so technically you're at a disadvantage if you're coming from CS since the monthly is lower?

Unregistered 17-02-2023 02:28 PM

Shag messed up by reject a GLC (bad rep) and waited for ministry offer, end up GLC was higher haiz

Unregistered 17-02-2023 03:30 PM

Private Degree (UOL), early 30s. Able to get at least 9k gross in CS/PS/GLCs?

Unregistered 17-02-2023 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240509)
Do you know what these criteria are? I have been on MX10 for 2 years now. First year, I got B+ and second year got an A. I’m about $400 away to hit the first ceiling, so just wondering what happens when it’s hit.

how old are you? likely to grade promo without any title.. really depend on your boss.. your boss will have been prompt by HR on your salary reaching the ceiling. dont be surprised there are many farmers hitting the ceiling when they are 50+ at MX10.

Unregistered 17-02-2023 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240549)
how old are you? likely to grade promo without any title.. really depend on your boss.. your boss will have been prompt by HR on your salary reaching the ceiling. dont be surprised there are many farmers hitting the ceiling when they are 50+ at MX10.

stuck forever unless there is reason to put the person in a superscale mx9 role

Unregistered 17-02-2023 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240548)
Private Degree (UOL), early 30s. Able to get at least 9k gross in CS/PS/GLCs?

Nope…impossible

Unregistered 17-02-2023 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240549)

I’m 36F. Non-scholar

Unregistered 17-02-2023 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240533)
In private they offer based on past drawn, so technically you're at a disadvantage if you're coming from CS since the monthly is lower?

I don't think it is true that private sector offers based on last drawn. Aside from the type of industry, it depends on your bargaining power and how favourably the prospective employer sees your employment experience.

But going back to your question, yes, generally speaking, civil servants will be disadvantaged in most cases because they'll spend years pushing paper, squandering years learning basically nothing useful/relevant. So of course these years are discounted and one ends up being paid less than his/her peers who spent those years accumulating relevant experience. This, together with the fact that CS pays you just enough to not quit, is probably why many end up becoming unwilling "lifers" - they don't really have a choice.

Which is why I say that one big consideration is whether you can take advantage of CS to augment your CV. In other words, can the time spent in CS be seen as a value-add to the prospective employer? In some specific situations, yes. For example, payment services were a very hot area in the last one or two years - employers will jump on folks with MAS experience.

Simply put, the question one should ask before joining is: would you be able to quit your CS job, and find another in a reasonable amount of time, without suffering a significant cut in your pay? If not, you should be going in with your eyes wide open, knowing full well that it is likely that you are going to be a lifer. While there's nothing inherently wrong about wanting to be a lifer, the important point is to understand what you are signing up for. If you have reservations about this, then maybe this path is not cut out for you.

Unregistered 17-02-2023 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240575)
I’m 36F. Non-scholar

The cap for MX10 is 10,000. It's 12,000. And you are just 36 but already hitting 5 digits, you are probably in an economic or defense or tech agency, correct?

In any case, if you are getting B+s and even As, I really doubt you have anything to worry about. Are you not already on some leadership development track? Your LP should be quite high.