Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   ITE Polytechnic Scheme (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/8740-institute-technical-education-polytechnic-scheme.html)

Unregistered 15-11-2023 11:41 PM

.. cannot edit above post. I'm thinking about returning to SG to work. I am Singaporean.

Unregistered 20-11-2023 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260496)
Hi all.

I'm a current PhD candidate on scholarship from a university in the US. Thinking ahead about coming to SG to work. How much salary can I expect if I go for teaching position at local poly?

By the time I graduate from my program, I'll have 5 years of experience teaching undergrads (both as TA and head TA).

Is 100k p.a. realistic?

It is definitely doable but depends on how you sell yourself and negotiate. I am assuming 100k is in SGD and 100k/13 = ~7.7k monthly. If you include bonuses and what not 100k/15 or 100k/16 will be even more doable.

You can attempt to come in as a senior lecturer with your PhD and experience. But 5 years exp is actually not that long.

Unregistered 20-11-2023 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260891)
It is definitely doable but depends on how you sell yourself and negotiate. I am assuming 100k is in SGD and 100k/13 = ~7.7k monthly. If you include bonuses and what not 100k/15 or 100k/16 will be even more doable.

You can attempt to come in as a senior lecturer with your PhD and experience. But 5 years exp is actually not that long.

you will be pegged at high IPS6 or low IPS7, depending on your nego skills.
Salary wise, it will be 90k to 100k per annum (incl 13 month and bonuses).

Unregistered 20-11-2023 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260496)
Hi all.

I'm a current PhD candidate on scholarship from a university in the US. Thinking ahead about coming to SG to work. How much salary can I expect if I go for teaching position at local poly?

By the time I graduate from my program, I'll have 5 years of experience teaching undergrads (both as TA and head TA).

Is 100k p.a. realistic?

is it an ivy league university?

do u have industry experience?

Unregistered 24-11-2023 11:12 AM

Asking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255196)
How old are you?
I got 18 years experience only ips6.

You are in admin or lecturer role? I have 10 years experience in work-but only IPS 5 now in administrative role.

Anyone knows how performance bonus is like for IPS 5 for Admin? C+ B B+ and A?

Do share

Unregistered 25-11-2023 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260891)

Ah, that's good to hear. My target is about 100 p.a. since that's my outside option, working in another stat board. I am also confident in getting a very strong reference from one of my professors attesting to my teaching capabilities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260932)
is it an ivy league university?

do u have industry experience?

If I from ivy league, sure say one mah.. I'm from one of the top 5 US public universities. I'm here on full scholarship (stipend + tuition) for my PhD. Decided midway that research not my cup of tea, and so searching for public sector or teaching jobs. No industry experience.

What's the workload like? Do you just teach the same few courses every semester, or does it change depending on departmental needs? Is there a lot of miscellaneous admin stuff to do on top of the regular teaching workload?

Unregistered 27-11-2023 12:47 PM

To draw $100K/year at Senior Lecturer, you'd need to also come in with industry experience, network contacts, and able to take up industry projects immediately. At Senior Lecturer, your teaching prowess would be a given: so while having testimonials from your University faculty on your teaching capabilities can help, IMO it won't be the main factor if you getting that target annual salary.

What you're teaching and how frequently that changes depends on the general disciplinary area and also make-up of the Polytechnic school you're in. Generally speaking, the subjects you're teaching in an infocomm school e.g. will tend to evolve more frequently.

You can expect a fair bit of admin, academic administration e.g. various system setups of your subjects, attendance, filing of your teaching records and materials. As a Senior Lecturer, you would be expected to do these properly diligently. Is it manageable? In my opinion, yes: but if you're the type who hates these support activities, is reluctant to do outreach or take on industry projects or competitions, and only want to be in classroom teaching, then you might still get in as a Senior Lecturer, but you might find your progress from your overall attained performance grade slowed.

Unregistered 05-12-2023 04:47 PM

Ips 2023

Isn't it strange that they are offering gross salary based on annual package vs expected salary given that PB, bonus are all variable?

Unregistered 06-12-2023 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 262354)
Isn't it strange that they are offering gross salary based on annual package vs expected salary given that PB, bonus are all variable?

No what.

the contract defines your salary by month..... so you can accept or not accept.

Unregistered 29-12-2023 06:29 PM

NYP Contract Staff eligible for AWS and govt bonus?

Hi,

Just want to check if NYP contract staff is eligible for AWS and govt bonus?
The contract did not state but the HR verbally say that there is AWS and govt bonus

Any help?