Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much are you earning per annum? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/831-how-much-you-earning-per-annum.html)

Unregistered 05-10-2012 06:09 AM

The last few posts have gone completely off topic

failed guy 05-10-2012 02:19 PM

can someone teach me how to earn more? 33,Diploma in computing, earning only 2.4k/mth. My starting pay was only $1.6k. Working as office admin for 7yrs.

Really feel depressed as everything prices are going up, n my elder brother is going to kick me from his flat. The flat is under his name and my mum's name. But now he is 35 and going to remove my mum's name.

Thought of getting a degree, but working full time and study part time is hard. Alot of time need to stay back work OT. If quit job and study full time, no income for at least 2yrs. If take degree course, which degree course is good?

Really need good advice.

Unregistered 05-10-2012 11:52 PM

You need to job hop more often. And always hop to a more senior position (even if just in title) and a higher pay.

Unregistered 06-10-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28609)
Bankers and lawyers are overrated and overpaid. Many are evil manipulators who destroy the lives and wealth of others. May they burn in hell for eternity.

I will encourage my children to be teachers even though they are underpaid and underrated. Teaching is a noble profession which deserves more recognition by society.

Good, then more seats for my children to become banker or lawyer: less competition

Unregistered 06-10-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28473)
A lot of people here posting nonsense.

Here's a genuine one.

47, $100k pa
Fully paid terrace house
One investment condo worth $700k, 60% loan.
Cash + CPF = $200k

I agree with u, we ask forumers to be genuine, not stating some dreams lol

Unregistered 06-10-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimhigh (Post 28297)
You're feeling depressed because you're actually telling the truth, unlike 90% of the ********ters on this forum thread.

You are so right... Just use the salary comparison which takes database of taxpayers from iras, that will give you a better benchmark than 90% of the nonsense replies here...

Unregistered 06-10-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27974)
34, $200K pa

wife 30, $150K pa

we just upgraded from a 5 room EA (bought BTO) to a new condo

life is great

Life could be even better if bot a landed property with this kind of combined pay

Unregistered 06-10-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27940)
100k income doesn't seem out of reach these days. any tom dick and harry (not lky) can earn 100k after working for 10+ years.

easy peasy.

He is telling the thruth, u stupiak, nowadays must BS for people to be impressed and answer: waaaaaaaaah so good ah!

Unregistered 06-10-2012 12:33 PM

Some are BS but many are true, just that u don't hear the sacrifice behind the wealth stories. I have two private properties at early 30s but don't own a car and squish with FTs on the MRT, steam in the bus stop under the sun, splash puddles and carry groceries by foot across the overhead bridges while admiring the BMWs and Mercs that stream by.

Don't know how long I can carry on without car. Feel a bit too old to wait at bus stop and sit on the bus ... reminder of penniless student days when I dreamt about owning condos. But the scrooge side of me maintains that I should be crazy to spend such a lot good money on this depreciating asset that I can use for only ten years. So I carry on day by day admiring the big cars.

I am sure that those who made big bucks also made some sacrifices in their young days, but u don't hear it. And, there will always be those who are lucky and smart.... inherited wealth, plum jobs straight out of school.

Unregistered 06-10-2012 12:41 PM

Can save a lot of money by never buying a car. It is indeed inconvenient when going to more ulu places and it is indeed embarrassing when others assume u drive but u don't. Wet weather is annoying and hot weather is uncomfortable. Those working for me have cars and I don't.

But all the debt I have is good debt and while others service car loan I prefer to only service property loan. Choices in life.

Unregistered 06-10-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by failed guy (Post 28742)
can someone teach me how to earn more? 33,Diploma in computing, earning only 2.4k/mth. My starting pay was only $1.6k. Working as office admin for 7yrs.

Really feel depressed as everything prices are going up, n my elder brother is going to kick me from his flat. The flat is under his name and my mum's name. But now he is 35 and going to remove my mum's name.

Thought of getting a degree, but working full time and study part time is hard. Alot of time need to stay back work OT. If quit job and study full time, no income for at least 2yrs. If take degree course, which degree course is good?

Really need good advice.

Work full time and study part time. Save money. Eat the bitter pill for a few years.

Whatever u do, don't study biomedical and don't study engineering.

Try to set up sideline small business.

Your brother sounds rather nasty to be doing this to u. Try to stay put with free accommodation. Avoid renting as it is expensive in SG. Save money for your first property.

Most of all, good luck and make good friends. All the best

Unregistered 07-10-2012 12:58 AM

35 years old guy. Earning $6400 per month in private sector doing finance work (but not banking). is this considered reasonable?

Unregistered 07-10-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28781)
35 years old guy. Earning $6400 per month in private sector doing finance work (but not banking). is this considered reasonable?

Quite good.

Is this still your 1st job?

Do you have work-life balance?

Unregistered 07-10-2012 08:15 PM

3rd job. Average work till 7-8plus.

Unregistered 08-10-2012 01:47 AM

Not good, if you have to ask, it means you are not earning enough.

3000x1.0713^(36-25) = 6314

You grow your salary by only about 7% per year.

By the standards in this forum where everyone is getting increments in the range of 15% to 20% every year without fail, your expected salary should have been

3000*1.2^(36-25) = 22290

By normal standard of 15% per 2 years (i.e. change job every 2 years, 15% increment for new job, 5% for the year with no change, average 10% per year), your salary should have been:

3000*1.1^(36-25) = 8559

Unregistered 08-10-2012 02:06 PM

Hello guys, I am 45 years old, bachelor, earning S$100k per annum.

Owns a one bedroom condo, fully paid. Worth S$1mil now.

How am I doing?

Unregistered 08-10-2012 10:12 PM

Even worst off then the previous guy. By the same calculation, you managed only an increment of 5.24% a year.

3000*1.05241^(45-25)*12

If property prices were to drop, would your condo still be worth that much?

Unregistered 09-10-2012 12:09 PM

congratulations.
you're doing quite fine.
by the time you retire at 55 years old, your condo will likely be worth at least 2mil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28832)
Hello guys, I am 45 years old, bachelor, earning S$100k per annum.

Owns a one bedroom condo, fully paid. Worth S$1mil now.

How am I doing?

poor and stupid 09-10-2012 01:51 PM

You are doing it WRONG!!, One does not simply fully paid his property..... you just DONT!

Unregistered 10-10-2012 08:23 AM

S'porean
IT in hotel
$2.4k per month

Good? Any opinions?

Unregistered 10-10-2012 01:36 PM

Very low
I think a dishwasher earns more than you
Why not upgrade yourself to learn dishwashing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28882)
S'porean
IT in hotel
$2.4k per month

Good? Any opinions?

Unregistered 10-10-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28897)
Very low
I think a dishwasher earns more than you
Why not upgrade yourself to learn dishwashing?

This is really uncalled for. People are just asking for frank opinions. Need you put him down like this?

Unregistered 10-10-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28898)
This is really uncalled for. People are just asking for frank opinions. Need you put him down like this?

They are both trolls...who would ask if 2.4k is good in a forum where 5k/mth is not good...

Unregistered 10-10-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28903)
They are both trolls...who would ask if 2.4k is good in a forum where 5k/mth is not good...

I don't troll. And I'm here to understand the market better.
This is salary talk here, I have not include my benefits inside, and there is not a need to judge me for trolling.

Thank you for your understanding the other unregistered user.

Unregistered 10-10-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28908)
I don't troll. And I'm here to understand the market better.
This is salary talk here, I have not include my benefits inside, and there is not a need to judge me for trolling.

Thank you for your understanding the other unregistered user.

Then share relevant info like how many years and whats your job.
2.4k is a good starting salary but lousy mid-career salary.
And IT is so broad...

Unregistered 11-10-2012 07:45 AM

Nvesafea adj

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28917)
Then share relevant info like how many years and whats your job.
2.4k is a good starting salary but lousy mid-career salary.
And IT is so broad...

Dip level.
Working experience in society - 4years.

In hotel IT the last 2 years.
From 2k to 2.4k

General system administrator.

does other system admin earn more than me?
considering my options, but trying to know market too.

Unregistered 11-10-2012 09:50 AM

you are overpaid. for a dip holder at early 20s, you are paid too much.
degree holders may not earn that much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28923)
Dip level.
Working experience in society - 4years.

In hotel IT the last 2 years.
From 2k to 2.4k

General system administrator.

does other system admin earn more than me?
considering my options, but trying to know market too.

Unregistered 11-10-2012 10:54 AM

Let me share something with you. I always had a car since uni, actually had in just before I ORD-ed. It was a Jap car. It was special driving to school back then when less than 5% of the school's population (my time) had a car. Felt really good and I had no shortage of attention. Being in NTU and having a car means that for those living in hostel, you are their "ticket" out for supper. No shortage of friends.

The car became my source of confidence. A self reassuring tool that made me feel that I was successful. When I graduated, I didn't earn much. Still, I mantained my car and bought season parking in CBD. It cost me $450 per month. But I felt good telling my colleagues I drove to work and sometimes I drive them out for lunch. Again, the car was my ticket to feeling good.

Then it escalates. I sold my JP car and bougth a continental car last year. Cost me almost S$200k. I used all my work savings and took a 7-yr car loan. My monthly expense drains me almost $2k+ (loan + petrol + season parking). I save $500-700 a month only.

In the eyes of alot of my colleagues and friends... I'm a high flyer. I'm doing well. I don't know how long this fascade can continue. I can't afford a house. I'm single, late 20s, living with my parents.

I've only my CPF and less than $10k savings. If I get married, it would be a 4RM hdb flat for me.

Living the SG dream... still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28768)
Some are BS but many are true, just that u don't hear the sacrifice behind the wealth stories. I have two private properties at early 30s but don't own a car and squish with FTs on the MRT, steam in the bus stop under the sun, splash puddles and carry groceries by foot across the overhead bridges while admiring the BMWs and Mercs that stream by.

Don't know how long I can carry on without car. Feel a bit too old to wait at bus stop and sit on the bus ... reminder of penniless student days when I dreamt about owning condos. But the scrooge side of me maintains that I should be crazy to spend such a lot good money on this depreciating asset that I can use for only ten years. So I carry on day by day admiring the big cars.

I am sure that those who made big bucks also made some sacrifices in their young days, but u don't hear it. And, there will always be those who are lucky and smart.... inherited wealth, plum jobs straight out of school.

Unregistered 11-10-2012 12:41 PM

You spent a fortune making yourself feel good with a car!

But it's your choice.

I have $1m in savings but drive a $70k car only (bought when COE was $17k).

You drive a $200k car!

Unregistered 11-10-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28937)

Then it escalates. I sold my JP car and bougth a continental car last year. Cost me almost S$200k. I used all my work savings and took a 7-yr car loan. My monthly expense drains me almost $2k+ (loan + petrol + season parking). I save $500-700 a month only.

In the eyes of alot of my colleagues and friends... I'm a high flyer. I'm doing well. I don't know how long this fascade can continue. I can't afford a house. I'm single, late 20s, living with my parents.

Only the shallow people will think you are a high flyer. These are the same people who are easily conned into MLM and other get-rich schemes. All you need is to flash your beemer car key and they will fall into your trap.

It's already common sense that people who LOOK rich AREN'T usually rich -- you are precisely a case in point. The millionaires in the heartland are those aunties and uncles who look just like everybody else but live extremely comfortably with their condo rental income paid for by young punks from foreign lands.

They don't need a beemer to FEEL rich. They ARE rich (compared to image conscious young punks with only a few k in their bank accounts).

Unregistered 11-10-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Let me share something with you. I always had a car since uni, actually had in just before I ORD-ed. It was a Jap car. It was special driving to school back then when less than 5% of the school's population (my time) had a car. Felt really good and I had no shortage of attention. Being in NTU and having a car means that for those living in hostel, you are their "ticket" out for supper. No shortage of friends.

The car became my source of confidence. A self reassuring tool that made me feel that I was successful. When I graduated, I didn't earn much. Still, I mantained my car and bought season parking in CBD. It cost me $450 per month. But I felt good telling my colleagues I drove to work and sometimes I drive them out for lunch. Again, the car was my ticket to feeling good.

I've only my CPF and less than $10k savings. If I get married, it would be a 4RM hdb flat for me.

what for ? living in 'haolian' looking rich on the surface, but bank little$$, y not you take taxi every day to work(best is by mrt/bus/walk), use the 200k to invest in dividend stock....at least got passion income of $1000/mth just from dividend......go google dividendwarrior.blogspot....

Unregistered 11-10-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28947)
what for ? living in 'haolian' looking rich on the surface, but bank little$$, y not you take taxi every day to work(best is by mrt/bus/walk), use the 200k to invest in dividend stock....at least got passion income of $1000/mth just from dividend......go google dividendwarrior.blogspot....

There are many more such "haolian" youngsters these days. So for us prudent savers, it's easier for us to get ahead in the game.

Unregistered 11-10-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28945)
Only the shallow people will think you are a high flyer. These are the same people who are easily conned into MLM and other get-rich schemes. All you need is to flash your beemer car key and they will fall into your trap.

It's already common sense that people who LOOK rich AREN'T usually rich -- you are precisely a case in point. The millionaires in the heartland are those aunties and uncles who look just like everybody else but live extremely comfortably with their condo rental income paid for by young punks from foreign lands.

They don't need a beemer to FEEL rich. They ARE rich (compared to image conscious young punks with only a few k in their bank accounts).

Extremely well said!

Well, I guess that is the SG dream.
Working the whole life paying off cars & housing loan

Unregistered 11-10-2012 09:33 PM

It is always better to live one level below your means.

I bought a terrace instead of condo so i dont have to owe the bank money, and drive a used bmw instead of a new one for a lower depreciation.

Unregistered 11-10-2012 11:35 PM

Polar opposite

Quote:

Interesting story, thanks for sharing. I'm the polar opposite who has the second property but only my family and very very close friends know it because I don't want to look as if I am showing off. And, what goes up may come down, I may be in ++ve equity today but 3 yrs later who knows what happens to property values? Then the nastier acquaintances or colleagues will start laughing and gloating.

But everybody knows I don't have a car.... Maybe this is considered acting average. Hahahaha....

Unregistered 12-10-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28930)
you are overpaid. for a dip holder at early 20s, you are paid too much.
degree holders may not earn that much.

tbh, I'm in my late 20s, still a dip holder.
Working in the social circle over 4yrs since my NS days.

trying to know if there are better opp or salary elsewhere within other industry or am I lowly paid for a general system admin.

2.4k/mth + Bonus + 13month.

is there any IT or HR people here with frank opinions?

ashley 12-10-2012 10:24 AM

i think its reasonable sum. if you want a higher pay, go and make a list of necessary skills of the jobs that you are interested in, research on the pay range and work toward that goal. i find that looking at job ads is a good indicator of what skill set you have or are missing and this may help direct your career path.

Unregistered 12-10-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28977)
tbh, I'm in my late 20s, still a dip holder.
Working in the social circle over 4yrs since my NS days.

trying to know if there are better opp or salary elsewhere within other industry or am I lowly paid for a general system admin.

2.4k/mth + Bonus + 13month.

is there any IT or HR people here with frank opinions?

This is my third year of work after my NS. Diploma also. i am 25 yrs old this year
I am getting 2.7/mth + bonus + 13 month.
I wont say you lowly paid or what. Just move on in life. everything depend on luck. My fren that are taking part time degree with me some are earning 2.2k at age of 30 and some at age of 31 are earning 4k++ diploma. Think the traditional saying really matters. no matter how hard you work, there must be some senior management people spot you.

regards. Goh

Unregistered 12-10-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28983)
This is my third year of work after my NS. Diploma also. i am 25 yrs old this year
I am getting 2.7/mth + bonus + 13 month.
I wont say you lowly paid or what. Just move on in life. everything depend on luck. My fren that are taking part time degree with me some are earning 2.2k at age of 30 and some at age of 31 are earning 4k++ diploma. Think the traditional saying really matters. no matter how hard you work, there must be some senior management people spot you.

regards. Goh

Thanks Goh & Ashley for sharing..

Very true.. Understanding my 'market value' not easy, especially when many workplaces are giving salary based on people's last drawn.

@Goh can I know what industry are u in?

Unregistered999 13-10-2012 10:02 AM

I have just received an offer from SME...

Business Development Exec "aka Sales" (2 yr exp)
Honours Deg

Conditions: min. gross profit to bring in per annum is $600K (there are like 50 of us).

They offer me "up to" $35,000/annum + 14 days AL + basic insurance. No dental, no etc.

I find that even 2 yr exp job can demand this salary, how come for sales position they even dare to make this offer ??