Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How is life as a doctor in Singapore? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/793-how-life-doctor-singapore.html)

Unregistered 14-12-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 112405)
Depends. Can you work in Australia? Pretty sure that answers your question.

If you were to ask me if you are eligible and able to get a job in Australia, then will be the best. If you are unable, then you gotta accept whatever you can get in Singapore.

Unregistered 01-01-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 112403)
Got an offer for a first year radiology resident position for 4.8k/month. Is this normal ? It is so much lower than Australia.

Yes that is standard for MOs (high, even - the usual figure is 4.5k)

Welcome to Singapore :) half the pay and 2.5 times the work hours

Unregistered 01-01-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 112729)
Yes that is standard for MOs (high, even - the usual figure is 4.5k)

Welcome to Singapore :) half the pay and 2.5 times the work hours

That may be but these FT doctors are the ones who can't work in Australia or other first world countries with more stringent healthcare standards than Singapore, so can you really blame them?

Unregistered 01-01-2019 02:30 PM

I feel that the salary progression in hospitals is not well understood by local medical students. Can existing doctors help to confirm the following?
To summarise the salary progression before deductions:
HO ~3.3-3.6k, ~4.2k for on call
First year MO ~4.5k (~5k for NS men), ~5.5k-6k for on call(?), ~16-17month salary?
Surgical MOs make slightly more?
Registar, Associate Consultant, Consultant, Senior Consultant?

Polyclinic?

Private GPs ~12-16k for 40hr work week
Private hospitals?

Unregistered 01-01-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 112740)
I feel that the salary progression in hospitals is not well understood by local medical students. Can existing doctors help to confirm the following?
To summarise the salary progression before deductions:
HO ~3.3-3.6k, ~4.2k for on call
First year MO ~4.5k (~5k for NS men), ~5.5k-6k for on call(?), ~16-17month salary?
Surgical MOs make slightly more?
Registar, Associate Consultant, Consultant, Senior Consultant?

Polyclinic?

Private GPs ~12-16k for 40hr work week
Private hospitals?

bottom line if you are interested to know the salary. Dont join medicine. coz the heart is at the wrong place. heart at wrong place harms not only the health of yourself but the health of patients and society at large.
there will definitely be sufficient money for a bto and grab rides. do not worry about that.

from a concerned senior..

Unregistered 01-01-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 112741)
bottom line if you are interested to know the salary. Dont join medicine. coz the heart is at the wrong place. heart at wrong place harms not only the health of yourself but the health of patients and society at large.
there will definitely be sufficient money for a bto and grab rides. do not worry about that.

What kind of logic is this? I’m already in Medicine and the fact that I don’t know the salary shows that I didn’t join for money. I’m asking purely for objective reasons to plan for the future.

Unregistered 01-01-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 112741)

LOL. Get off your moralistic...ooh doctors shouldn't be concerned about money, high horse.

For one, having an idea about progression and salary scale helps with future planning.

I would argue that one would be highly irresponsible towards one's spouse and children without any kind of forward financial planning.

These are all very real concerns living in Singapore and have nothing to do with putting greed over patients.

Unregistered 02-01-2019 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 112748)
LOL. Get off your moralistic...ooh doctors shouldn't be concerned about money, high horse.

For one, having an idea about progression and salary scale helps with future planning.

I would argue that one would be highly irresponsible towards one's spouse and children without any kind of forward financial planning.

These are all very real concerns living in Singapore and have nothing to do with putting greed over patients.

Exactly. Half the people in the medical profession find “money” or “salary” completely taboo. You mention either and suddenly you’re greedy, selfish, no heart to serve, etc.
Stop being such a snowflake. We don’t live in utopia. A heart to serve alone isn’t going to feed a family or put a roof over their heads.
There is absolutey nothing wrong with discussing salary. And FFS we are in a salary.sg forum, if you don’t want to talk about salary then wtf are you doing here?

Unregistered 02-01-2019 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 112748)

I think you guys might need to be realistic in this era. The median trajectory is a RP post-residency. As long as you do realistic and responsible financial planning, clearing your student loan and hdb bto should be attainable.

Unregistered 06-01-2019 07:54 PM

Actually the pay for MO is comparatively low for the blood and sweat put in studies...my friend is a 2nd lower class NUS degree-holder; signed on police force and his starting pay is 4.9k. Lol study 5 years of medicine like wasted sia.