Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 02-02-2016 08:22 AM

Laughing at a bunch of non-first-class people arguing about how easy/difficult it is to get first class.

Unregistered 02-02-2016 08:27 AM

Here's the article on Straits' Times.

://.straitstimes.com/business/entry-level-lawyers-earning-slightly-less-amid-glut-morgan-mckinley

Entry-level lawyers earning slightly less amid glut: Morgan McKinley

Some legal firms in Singapore have lowered their entry-level salaries amid a glut of younger lawyers and a gloomier business environment, recruitment firm Morgan McKinley has found.

Last year, entry-level lawyers working at any of the "Big Four" - Drew & Napier, Allen & Gledhill, Wong Partnership and Rajah & Tann - drew a basic salary of $5,500 to $6,000 a month.

The same lawyers could have earned $6,000 a month or more in 2014, said Morgan McKinley.

Entry-level lawyers at medium- sized firms earned a basic salary of $4,000 to $5,000 a month last year, down from a range of $4,500 to $5,500 in 2014.

Nevertheless, some international law firms will still pay a basic salary of $7,000 for entry-level lawyers, to attract the best talent, said Ms Allcard, who was speaking on the release of her firm's annual salary survey yesterday.

Unregistered 02-02-2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79131)
Laughing at a bunch of non-first-class people arguing about how easy/difficult it is to get first class.

should be laughing at a few non-first class local grads keep making themselves feel good by mentally assuming that they are fch level in the UK. bs!

Unregistered 03-02-2016 08:30 AM

The focus shouldn't be so much on first class or not and whether it is easier or harder to get a first overseas.
What the local law unis should work towards is to become like a Harvard or Oxbridge. In Harvard and Oxbridge, it doesn't matter if you're a first class or a 2:2. Once u tell people you're from Harvard or Oxbridge, it's enough. Why? Bcos the people they nurture, the reputation, the thinking pedagogy and the alumni support is world famous.

Being overly concious about grades is something that this generation has been nurtured to think. As someone who has studied in Harvard & Oxbridge, I can say that the teaching emphasis in these countries is different especially the exposure.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79204)
The focus shouldn't be so much on first class or not and whether it is easier or harder to get a first overseas.
What the local law unis should work towards is to become like a Harvard or Oxbridge. In Harvard and Oxbridge, it doesn't matter if you're a first class or a 2:2. Once u tell people you're from Harvard or Oxbridge, it's enough. Why? Bcos the people they nurture, the reputation, the thinking pedagogy and the alumni support is world famous.

Being overly concious about grades is something that this generation has been nurtured to think. As someone who has studied in Harvard & Oxbridge, I can say that the teaching emphasis in these countries is different especially the exposure.

Totally agree. I went UK to study, thou not in harvard or oxbridge but definitely some prestigious uni. the way that they teach is really different and you can see the students dont really rely on their profs as much as how our local does. our local grads failed in a way that they are seriously over concious of grades and to them grades mean everything. In UK, they value the exposure and the practical lessons taught. the profs trust their masters/ PHD programme's students so much that they can let them handle summer practical programmes for the juniors without he/she having the need to step into the class. the PHD students managed the programme so well that they were at the point to us equivalent to a prof. our local uni need to improve. we cant just purely depend on results and at the end when out to industry, all start to break.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79206)
Totally agree. I went UK to study, thou not in harvard or oxbridge but definitely some prestigious uni. the way that they teach is really different and you can see the students dont really rely on their profs as much as how our local does. our local grads failed in a way that they are seriously over concious of grades and to them grades mean everything. In UK, they value the exposure and the practical lessons taught. the profs trust their masters/ PHD programme's students so much that they can let them handle summer practical programmes for the juniors without he/she having the need to step into the class. the PHD students managed the programme so well that they were at the point to us equivalent to a prof. our local uni need to improve. we cant just purely depend on results and at the end when out to industry, all start to break.

Reading your paragraph made me want to vomit out my breakfast. It was horribly written.

You must be one of those stupid idiots whom can't even make it to a local uni to study law. You probably even think Bristol is some prestigious university, yeah? Hahahahah.. keep telling yourself that as you hug your pathetic ABB or BBB grades in A levels to sleep.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79204)

True, its unfortunate that the local schs have a mugging culture, but its difficult to change considering that the local schs can't be more selective than they already are (thereby transforming themselves into an Oxbridge) because they have to mass-produce grads and the fact that the legal industry is more grade-oriented than most others.

Dn know why people are so butt-hurt abt the fact that it is harder on average to get a first or 2.1 locally compared to the UK. we can argue abt practicality or street-smartness or industry know-how until the cows come home, but that's tangential. E.g. based on the stats above, if entry into both UCL and NUS require AAA/A and the former has 90% of students getting 2.1 and above and the latter only 55%, don't see how you can argue otherwise.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79207)
Reading your paragraph made me want to vomit out my breakfast. It was horribly written.

You must be one of those stupid idiots whom can't even make it to a local uni to study law. You probably even think Bristol is some prestigious university, yeah? Hahahahah.. keep telling yourself that as you hug your pathetic ABB or BBB grades in A levels to sleep.

hmmm. looking at your statement make others want to puke too. looking at you must be some arrogant 2:2 law student who keep hugging the lies that your 2:2 is equivalent to a fch or 2:1 in UK. good try :) btw im not from what bristol. go check where our law grads stands in the world

Unregistered 03-02-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79207)

eh local grad, continue living in your own world. SG has began to adopt UK kind of academic structure and you're still hugging your local grad cert proudly. well, sg has been transforming to be on par with the rest of the world and constantly modifying her academic structure after realising that local grad like you always live in your lala land and cant perform at work. when we start to be on par with UK or US and focus more on the practical results then research paper. your cert can be used to wipe your butt. hahahaha

Unregistered 03-02-2016 10:14 AM

What a loser. Are you sure you studied law? I just came into this thread and couldn't help myself when I saw a poser from some crap UK school trying to pontificate and coo. Yeah, it's you, stop trying to hide behind your **** grades and **** school.

I am not even a lawyer or a law wannabe. I am in M&A banking, and you losers just do our paperwork.

I won't even be bothered to feed you my education details because it's obvious to everyone how stupid and uneducated you are.