Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 20-09-2017 10:41 AM

Apply for a TC/RLT at I.R.B. Law LLP

.irblaw.com.sg

Do send me your CV / Resume, we may be able to assist you.
[email protected]

Unregistered 20-09-2017 11:25 AM

Agree that paralegal route isnt the most ideal

Even getting a spot in one of the small local firms is better than being a paralegal imo.

Exit opportunitues for corporate lawyers aplenty. Typical progression includes in-house roles within banks, MNCs and listed companies.

Anyone can always exit law. Just a matter of how much pay cut you are willing to take. Imagine a 8 yr PQE lawyer taking a 8k pay cut jumping into a generic management role in an MNC

Unregistered 20-09-2017 01:02 PM

paralegal

can't one enters paralegal route then go onto associate again ?

no relevance experience?

go to a big law firm as paralegal or small firm as associate. which better ?

Unregistered 20-09-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100283)
Agree that paralegal route isnt the most ideal

Even getting a spot in one of the small local firms is better than being a paralegal imo.

Exit opportunitues for corporate lawyers aplenty. Typical progression includes in-house roles within banks, MNCs and listed companies.

Anyone can always exit law. Just a matter of how much pay cut you are willing to take. Imagine a 8 yr PQE lawyer taking a 8k pay cut jumping into a generic management role in an MNC

----
can explain why ?

Unregistered 20-09-2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100289)

----
can explain why ?

Very simple. You can always package your 'small firm' experience to jump to a bigger/more prestigious/more highly regarded firm.

You can't package paralegal experience to jump to associate roles.

You will still be given credit for post-qualification experience (PQE) as an associate in a small firm, going to a bigger firm, perhaps + / - 1 year PQE.

You will not be given PQE credit for working as a paralegal.

The only exception I can think of which makes this route worthwhile is if it is a paralegal role in an international (eg magic circle) firm, which functions as a extended probation/assessment period for converting you into a full-fledged associate. some international firms do that since singapore qualified lawyers are automatically given a 2 PQE deduction compared to an equivalent English solicitor. I know of some people who have gone this route

Unregistered 21-09-2017 07:43 AM

So last year I not manage to secure a training contract
There is quite a substantial number of my friends too who did not get a tc

I would like to try again this year round.

Is the market getting better now?

Unregistered 21-09-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100306)

It's getting worse.

Aside from the shrinking supply of TC, the "leftover" graduates are increasing demand by reapplying for those TCs - in addition to the new graduates.

Unregistered 21-09-2017 11:55 AM

I was the poster who mentioned a place at a small firm is better than a paralegal

Agree with the below. Caveat: please confirm with the intl law firm whether you are en route to be coming a full fledged associate. Some firms only require paralegal and will not accept crossovers to associate level in sg context. I know the paralegal route is common for UK lawyers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100303)
Very simple. You can always package your 'small firm' experience to jump to a bigger/more prestigious/more highly regarded firm.

You can't package paralegal experience to jump to associate roles.

You will still be given credit for post-qualification experience (PQE) as an associate in a small firm, going to a bigger firm, perhaps + / - 1 year PQE.

You will not be given PQE credit for working as a paralegal.

The only exception I can think of which makes this route worthwhile is if it is a paralegal role in an international (eg magic circle) firm, which functions as a extended probation/assessment period for converting you into a full-fledged associate. some international firms do that since singapore qualified lawyers are automatically given a 2 PQE deduction compared to an equivalent English solicitor. I know of some people who have gone this route

Unregistered 22-09-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100281)
.irblaw.com.sg

Do send me your CV / Resume, we may be able to assist you.
[email protected]

Not expecting this LOL. But good that this firm is looking to hire. Better than nothing, go for it guys.

Unregistered 22-09-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100306)

pray, tell, what did you do in the past year?