Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 28-05-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135463)
Legit advice needed, in school we don't learn how to craft written submissions, how do we do it effectively during our TC period? Is there a resource in the firm, do you learn it during part b, or do you just have to get scolded and learn it from seniors?

which school? they teach legal writing and analysis locally but many students either don't take it seriously or forget everything by the time they graduate.

to get better, you have to look at good precedents, and then actually try it yourself, again and again.

Unregistered 28-05-2020 01:55 PM

slogged so hard and didn't get retained...sigh...can anyone advise me if doing a LLM in the meantime could be useful? where's good to do a LLM...UK or US or local? thanks.

Unregistered 28-05-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135463)
Legit advice needed, in school we don't learn how to craft written submissions, how do we do it effectively during our TC period? Is there a resource in the firm, do you learn it during part b, or do you just have to get scolded and learn it from seniors?

Just do first and get scolded later.

Don’t expect any guidance in this industry.

The only thing you should expect is to get scolded for being stupid and not being inquisitive despite the lack of guidance.

Welcome to Legal Practice in reality.

Unregistered 28-05-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135497)
slogged so hard and didn't get retained...sigh...can anyone advise me if doing a LLM in the meantime could be useful? where's good to do a LLM...UK or US or local? thanks.

LLM only useful if (1) doing in the US with (2) a view to getting called to one of the state Bars there.

Otherwise, don't waste your time. Legal practice doesn't care about postgrad studies, it doesn't tell an employer about your basic legal knowledge and it's not a requirement for admission here.

If your LLB had terrible honours or was from a terrible school, an LLM won't redeem it. FCH from Nottingham better than 2:2 from NUS and LLM from Cambridge. Interviewer will know your parents have more money than you have brain cells from just one look at your CV.

Unregistered 28-05-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135501)
LLM only useful if (1) doing in the US with (2) a view to getting called to one of the state Bars there.

Otherwise, don't waste your time. Legal practice doesn't care about postgrad studies, it doesn't tell an employer about your basic legal knowledge and it's not a requirement for admission here.

If your LLB had terrible honours or was from a terrible school, an LLM won't redeem it. FCH from Nottingham better than 2:2 from NUS and LLM from Cambridge. Interviewer will know your parents have more money than you have brain cells from just one look at your CV.

what if you wanna transit into academia?

Unregistered 28-05-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135501)

Hahaha well said (I'm not OP). But the last part made me rofl.

I disagree though, a Cambridge LLM is highly regarded. An Oxford BCL / Harvard LLM means you have more brain cells than sorting through mindless documents. Idk how you'll pull a Cambridge LLM with a 2.2 unless you pull some back alley trick.

A Nottingham FCH is what it is. It is not a FCH from any of the higher rated schools BUT a FCH is a FCH.

I think you'll only be wasting time and money if your LLM is not from Oxbridge/LSE and top tier Ivies. Obviously don't go to Brown. Harvard, Stanford, Columbia. Penn doesn't count unless you do corp and you get a dual degree from WBS (and be with the likes of Trump, who has more brain cells than anyone)

Unregistered 28-05-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135522)
what if you wanna transit into academia?

Not useful unless you had a 1st Undergrad

Unregistered 28-05-2020 05:43 PM

currently in an intl firm doing arb. but thinking of going somewhere where there's more advo opp or even inhouse or non-law. work too tiring. any advice or ideas what career i could consider switching to?

Unregistered 28-05-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135529)
currently in an intl firm doing arb. but thinking of going somewhere where there's more advo opp or even inhouse or non-law. work too tiring. any advice or ideas what career i could consider switching to?

Advo... go and do some insurance work tons of advo

Unregistered 28-05-2020 06:20 PM

Salaries

Back to salaries. Please state the latest starting salaries (2019 or 2020) of the following firms:-

(a) Rajah & Tann

(b) Drew & Napier

(c) Allen & Gledhill

(d) Wong P

(e) Shook Lin

(f) All other starting salaries provided by any other law firms that you know of