Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 28-05-2020 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135439)
But after you enter practice you realise it is

Milbank, White & Case, Shearman Sterling, MoFo, Skadden, Dechert (if you are open to move to HK, then you have more options like Cravath, Kirkland)
Traditional Magic Circle (links, cc, a&o)
Offshore Magic Circle (Cooleys, Harneys)
Silver Circle
Baker
The rest

What? Lmao. This is quite funny, silver circle above Baker. An offshore magic circle, nice. Dechert SS Kirkland.

Unregistered 28-05-2020 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135457)
What? Lmao. This is quite funny, silver circle above Baker. An offshore magic circle, nice. Dechert SS Kirkland.

In London Bakers is seen as **** compared to even the silver circle so...

Unregistered 28-05-2020 08:15 AM

Legit advice needed, in school we don't learn how to craft written submissions, how do we do it effectively during our TC period? Is there a resource in the firm, do you learn it during part b, or do you just have to get scolded and learn it from seniors?

Unregistered 28-05-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135439)
But after you enter practice you realise it is

Milbank, White & Case, Shearman Sterling, MoFo, Skadden, Dechert (if you are open to move to HK, then you have more options like Cravath, Kirkland)
Traditional Magic Circle (links, cc, a&o)
Offshore Magic Circle (Cooleys, Harneys)
Silver Circle
Baker
The rest

no mention of Latham?

Unregistered 28-05-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135463)
Legit advice needed, in school we don't learn how to craft written submissions, how do we do it effectively during our TC period? Is there a resource in the firm, do you learn it during part b, or do you just have to get scolded and learn it from seniors?

if ur not unintelligent u get some precedents, understand their structure and how/why they are done the way they are, and u extrapolate from there

if ur a total mong, just settle for getting scolded by ur seniors and dropping out after 1 Pqe to make cupcakes

most kids who leave early on because "practice wasn't for them" had life on rails up to that point. go here, do this, tick that box, pat on head. legal practice isn't like that. initiative isn't asking ur boss if u can get him a kopi before the meeting. nobody's going to provide a rubric for doing ur work now. most millenials dont get this, they dislike what they perceive as uncertainty

not in law sch anymore dorothy. find ur own way to get the job done, no ones gonna sit u down with a handbook and patiently explain the hows and whys. training for practice could be better yeah but until it improves its a great way of weeding out the thickos and the bums who had everything handed to them on rails so they didnt have to think

Unregistered 28-05-2020 10:39 AM

Lol yes. My first day of internship, I got scolded by a senior. Matri matter, asked me when something was due. I referred him to ROC. That day I learned about FJR and how my NUS education was overrated.

Then my first day of TC, work on SMC matter. I legit panicked because it wasn't ROC or FJR. My boss took me to lunch, and said this is a completely different kind of matter. Not taught on part B. But must learn how to read, look at statutes, and to be inquisitive and have initiative to find the answers.

Second day of TC, work on international arbitration. Totally no framework again. I borrowed friend's part B notes, realised all not applicable cos mostly talking about enforcement. Got scolded by boss cos apparently I didn't learn from what he told me the day before.

I changed TC to conveyancing instead and never looked back. Some people just don't have it. I'm not making excuses for myself. I understand what you are trying to say. But be kind. That type of person you are describing is not the only type that is fit to practice. Please.

Unregistered 28-05-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135473)
Lol yes. My first day of internship, I got scolded by a senior. Matri matter, asked me when something was due. I referred him to ROC. That day I learned about FJR and how my NUS education was overrated.

Then my first day of TC, work on SMC matter. I legit panicked because it wasn't ROC or FJR. My boss took me to lunch, and said this is a completely different kind of matter. Not taught on part B. But must learn how to read, look at statutes, and to be inquisitive and have initiative to find the answers.

Second day of TC, work on international arbitration. Totally no framework again. I borrowed friend's part B notes, realised all not applicable cos mostly talking about enforcement. Got scolded by boss cos apparently I didn't learn from what he told me the day before.

I changed TC to conveyancing instead and never looked back. Some people just don't have it. I'm not making excuses for myself. I understand what you are trying to say. But be kind. That type of person you are describing is not the only type that is fit to practice. Please.

the root of the problem is the lack of structured training in majority of local law firms

heard intl firms have way better training programmes

Unregistered 28-05-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135461)
In London Bakers is seen as **** compared to even the silver circle so...

I doubt that, and we're talking SG

Unregistered 28-05-2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135478)
the root of the problem is the lack of structured training in majority of local law firms

heard intl firms have way better training programmes

Not all, the FLAs' programmes are the SG firm's programmes

Unregistered 28-05-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135463)

You don't learn it, you do it. Practice is like freefall so don't expect hand holding.