Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 31-07-2019 09:58 AM

Could I ask how do lawyers firm up their financial know-how in drafting out financial contracts, loans for example?

For example, Bank covenants have a number of financial clauses which the borrower must adhere to

Asked a lawyer friend, he said just Google

Unregistered 31-07-2019 10:11 PM

If I do a post grad law degree locally next year
I would fall under the 2023 new rules

Would that mean it would take me
3 years law school
0.5 year part b
1 year training contract

Total of 4.5 years to practise?
May I also ask what it means to practise law, as under new rules, pass part b will get one to be called to the Bar

Thank you

Unregistered 31-07-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122294)
Could I ask how do lawyers firm up their financial know-how in drafting out financial contracts, loans for example?

For example, Bank covenants have a number of financial clauses which the borrower must adhere to

Asked a lawyer friend, he said just Google

Learn some basic financial accounting

Unregistered 31-07-2019 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122291)
Not a bad choice.
There's this DJ who got his medical degree and then took up a law degree. I appeared before him once and i couldn't believe it when i read his history. Nice kind fellow too.

Haha I know who you talking abt. He's doing a PhD now.

Unregistered 01-08-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122321)
Haha I know who you talking abt. He's doing a PhD now.

Wah. Seriously? Talk about being an overachiever man.
I'd be happy if i could just do well at my one job! haha. It's been close to 5 years and somehow, it still feels like there's so much i don't know.

Unregistered 01-08-2019 12:15 PM

Dual jurisdiction qualification

Hi all, I would like to get your opinion on the advantages, if any, for an Australian graduate looking for a TC after getting called to the Supreme Court in Australia? I'm just weighing up the pros and cons to spending an additional 6 months to be called here or to just head back to Singapore immediately upon graduating. I know stigma Australian Universities have back home and looking for a TC would be difficult. Thus, wondering if being called here prior to heading back for the bar would be of any benefit.

Unregistered 02-08-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122336)
Hi all, I would like to get your opinion on the advantages, if any, for an Australian graduate looking for a TC after getting called to the Supreme Court in Australia? I'm just weighing up the pros and cons to spending an additional 6 months to be called here or to just head back to Singapore immediately upon graduating. I know stigma Australian Universities have back home and looking for a TC would be difficult. Thus, wondering if being called here prior to heading back for the bar would be of any benefit.

No benefit.
Sounds cool to be dual-qualified. That's about it.
Getting a TC/job will still be determined by other things like results, internship performance, etc. [Of, assuming you don't have connections lah. If you do, then pretty much anything goes.]

Unregistered 02-08-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122314)

3 years law school
0.5 year part b
1 year training contract

May I also ask what it means to practise law, as under new rules, pass part b will get one to be called to the Bar

Thank you

Get better at research.
Google can answer your questions.

Unregistered 02-08-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122314)

3 years law school
0.5 year part b
1 year training contract

Thank you

I am a nus glb

if you would like to discuss with somebody

let me know

Unregistered 02-08-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122362)
I am a nus glb

if you would like to discuss with somebody

let me know

Thanks for being so generous
Could you share how many years out of school you were when you applied and got into the glb? Am a couple of years out of sch

In the acc and finance field, and am thinking of heading into law as it has been a childhood dream