Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 08-07-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121410)
Hey guys, thanks for the answers

Am the original poster who asked the question

Am an accountant by training with exposure to finance
Studied arts during jc days and parents thought a local accountancy degree would help build a solid career and grades weren’t good enough for local law

Now a few years down the road, with decent savings and no relationship commitments
Thought it would be great to pursue a dream of my mouth to be a lawyer

Apply to SUSS JD?

Unregistered 08-07-2019 10:02 PM

What are community law Lawyers?

Unregistered 08-07-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121413)
What are community law Lawyers?

The lawyers that you see in HK TVB dramas

Unregistered 09-07-2019 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121027)
Yes, I had a great RLT with a small firm A but itchy backside wanted some corporate experience, so jumped at the chance to join small firm B who promised me Corp work experience.

Joined small firm B for TC. Boss was terrible, came in at 11 and left at 4, expecting you to stay late, do work, and be generally responsive to her even at 10 PM, and subsequently berating you for the quality of your work when there was little to no instructions. The worst aspect of my TC was that corp work was maybe 1 per cent of what I did. One month in, I decided to speak to her about my unhappiness, vis a vis mentoring and work assigned. Talk was unconclusive so imagine my surprise when she came early (9am) to work the next day and invited me to handover everything and even got external IT pax to ensure my personal laptop used for work (firm did not provide laptop for trainee to use) did not contain any work.

So yes, you can get fired during TC. Not all lawyers or firms are as scrupulous or hold themselves to the high standards that lawyers purport to have.

This is a terrible way to let people go. I feel for you. Hope you managed to find somewhere better to compete your TC.

Unregistered 09-07-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121416)
This is a terrible way to let people go. I feel for you. Hope you managed to find somewhere better to compete your TC.

ya. feel sad for you too. but you should not have left firm A given the market now.

Unregistered 09-07-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121414)
The lawyers that you see in HK TVB dramas

hahaha. this takes the cake, but oh so accurate.

Unregistered 09-07-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121410)
Hey guys, thanks for the answers

Am the original poster who asked the question

Am an accountant by training with exposure to finance
Studied arts during jc days and parents thought a local accountancy degree would help build a solid career and grades weren’t good enough for local law

Now a few years down the road, with decent savings and no relationship commitments
Thought it would be great to pursue a dream of my mouth to be a lawyer

Good luck!

Unregistered 10-07-2019 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121419)
ya. feel sad for you too. but you should not have left firm A given the market now.

This was in 2016. Managed to go back to original firm because boss was I didn't burn bridges. Practiced for one year before leaving for a good in-house role.

Unregistered 10-07-2019 03:58 AM

Part B Subjects

Hi anyone know whether the Admiralty course on the Part B examinations is tough?

Unregistered 10-07-2019 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivy lawyer (Post 121405)
ian tan, coding is so overrated. with your salary in SG, i can hire a team of abnn in abnn-land to do all the dirty work

This guy (Ivy Lawyer) above is a son of a bitch. He dares to call himself a lawyer. I'm Chinese and I find this offensive. Can we stop using racist references, especially in a salary forum. I would like to see him say it to someone in their face. I only wish I could expose his identity.