Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 14-06-2018 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107933)
is it true that everyone just wants to do corporate m&a and no one wants to do community law

like if can dont go to court at all is best

is that why advocacy only 1 weekend in part b

am i stupid for wanting to be trial advocate???

Rhetorical questions much?

If you can't even think for yourself I hope a CECA FT replaces you.

Unregistered 14-06-2018 02:15 AM

why so sensitive, not like the poor fellow judging you for your career choices lmao

be whatever you want to be la. the most pertinent question is, do you still want to be a lawyer after reading through the last 100 pages. if you even have 2 brain cells left over to rub together you may want to consider being a doctor instead.

Unregistered 14-06-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107969)
Heard quite a lot of people fail at least one subject for part A
I’m curious cos these ppl have TCs w big four etc

Are these ppl also from the degree mills?

Unregistered 14-06-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107971)
why so sensitive, not like the poor fellow judging you for your career choices lmao

be whatever you want to be la. the most pertinent question is, do you still want to be a lawyer after reading through the last 100 pages. if you even have 2 brain cells left over to rub together you may want to consider being a doctor instead.

Doctors also getting replaced by CECA talents leh, just check out any of our public hospitals. If you are not good enough you are not good enough, in whatever you choose to do however illusory that choice may be.

Period!

Unregistered 14-06-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107978)
Doctors also getting replaced by CECA talents leh, just check out any of our public hospitals. If you are not good enough you are not good enough, in whatever you choose to do however illusory that choice may be.

Period!

i went to check the schedule of professions allowed in by ceca. ironically the only one not found there is lawyer.

but for engineers, accountants, doctors and other professionals of every possible subspecialty - good luck, you are now replaceable.

Unregistered 14-06-2018 05:20 PM

In-house salaries (Financial services)

Hi guys,

I'm considering making a switch to an in-house role and would like to know what the pay scale is like? Particularly in the likes of banks, MAS, GIC, Temasek?

Background is around 2y+ post qualification experience at an MC firm (considered junior in terms of experience for in-house role), currently based overseas. Base salary approximately 14-15K SGD. I should add that I'm not looking to move for a higher salary, but simply to gain experience working in a different organisation in the financial services sector and not a law firm.

Thanks!

Unregistered 14-06-2018 06:29 PM

Passed PartA

My fellow learned colleagues who failed Part A should not fret, for not being qualified lawyers the CECA now applies to you. Ever considered living your dreams of teaching Shakespearean literature in the sun-kissed towns of Mumbai? Or regaling Bangalore villagers of your barista talents honed during your TC in Chinatown one-man shops?

If you can't stand the competitiveness of Singapore perhaps then use government policies to your advantage. After all, the treaty is supposed to promote the flow of talent in both directions!

Unregistered 14-06-2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107985)
My fellow learned colleagues who failed Part A should not fret, for not being qualified lawyers the CECA now applies to you. Ever considered living your dreams of teaching Shakespearean literature in the sun-kissed towns of Mumbai? Or regaling Bangalore villagers of your barista talents honed during your TC in Chinatown one-man shops?

If you can't stand the competitiveness of Singapore perhaps then use government policies to your advantage. After all, the treaty is supposed to promote the flow of talent in both directions!

So what if you pass part A. Don’t be so cocky la

Unregistered 15-06-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107985)

As a senior, I worry for having someone like you entering the profession.

Unregistered 15-06-2018 11:00 AM

are you all kidding, this is the kind of attitude we need and expect in young lawyers.

this profession is not for the shy and retiring. if you think you can hide behind a desk and screen all day long then you might find back room ops at bank of singapore or some other low ses poly dip / ceca tier job is more your speed.