Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 13-12-2023 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 262950)
Ok la I bite cos I’m bored. My abysmal mind can’t understand why you’re thinking of applying for tc whilst taking part b with your FCH. You would’ve applied for Part A RLT which usually pairs with Part B TC?

So to me your lack of thought in your post warranted my assumption that it was a **** post. Anyways good luck working paying off your prestigious 500k debt with the impending 1 year tc change!

unhinged lol

everyone knows that ptc contract is never really guaranteed with an rlt contract, and that sometimes **** happens and you have to apply for ptc contract elsewhere due to your own fault of not being retained or unforeseen circumstances (with a firm that could be better or worse, many times it can be better)

also, your numbers are off, clown

Unregistered 13-12-2023 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 262979)
unhinged lol

everyone knows that ptc contract is never really guaranteed with an rlt contract, and that sometimes **** happens and you have to apply for ptc contract elsewhere due to your own fault of not being retained or unforeseen circumstances (with a firm that could be better or worse, many times it can be better)

also, your numbers are off, clown

Yah lol, don’t scold others just because their dads can afford to send them. I studied local law too, but would have been happy if my dad had 300K to spare to send me to overseas

No bell curve, life is good

Unregistered 13-12-2023 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 262983)
Yah lol, don’t scold others just because their dads can afford to send them. I studied local law too, but would have been happy if my dad had 300K to spare to send me to overseas

No bell curve, life is good

I was from a humbler middle income fam too. Unlike the upper mid class folks which comprise the majority of the legal profession, my dad could only afford to sponsor 1 kid's overseas education (my older sibling). Mom's a homemaker. Hence I had to study local.

I think local law degree does gives one a good ROI, especially since top tier UK law doesn't really confer an overwhelming advantage compared to NUS or SMU; an advantage yes, but not significantly so if you're talking about the local legal industry.

After grad, grinded in Big4 for a bit, went to smaller mid-sized firm, now in-house drawing about $15-16k-ish pm now. Definitely nowhere near the top end of the profession, but I'm honestly earning much more than my dad ever did in his career.

For humbler background folks, I think there's real value for money with a relatively cheap and subsidized local LLB if you're lucky enough to get a spot in the local law schs.

Unregistered 13-12-2023 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 262990)
I was from a humbler middle income fam too. Unlike the upper mid class folks which comprise the majority of the legal profession, my dad could only afford to sponsor 1 kid's overseas education (my older sibling). Mom's a homemaker. Hence I had to study local.

I think local law degree does gives one a good ROI, especially since top tier UK law doesn't really confer an overwhelming advantage compared to NUS or SMU; an advantage yes, but not significantly so if you're talking about the local legal industry.

After grad, grinded in Big4 for a bit, went to smaller mid-sized firm, now in-house drawing about $15-16k-ish pm now. Definitely nowhere near the top end of the profession, but I'm honestly earning much more than my dad ever did in his career.

For humbler background folks, I think there's real value for money with a relatively cheap and subsidized local LLB if you're lucky enough to get a spot in the local law schs.

When were you called? Life may not be as easy for young law grads with the advent of AI (or even AGI, not the upgraded chatbot that makes up fake caselaw)

Unregistered 13-12-2023 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 262990)

Humbler middle income family = can sponsor 1 kid to study overseas? Pls, who are you kidding?

Unregistered 14-12-2023 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263015)
Humbler middle income family = can sponsor 1 kid to study overseas? Pls, who are you kidding?

In comparison to the rest of the profession? So many lawyers come from families that easily send all 2 or 3 of their kids overseas.

Some parents really do scrimp and save to be able send one of their children to study in overseas uni. It easily represents the single biggest expense for their kid that they could incur in their lifetimes.

Unregistered 14-12-2023 11:59 AM

What laptop should I get for the bar exam? My current one is old - intel 8th gen should I stick to this one or get a nicer one

Unregistered 14-12-2023 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263027)
In comparison to the rest of the profession? So many lawyers come from families that easily send all 2 or 3 of their kids overseas.

Some parents really do scrimp and save to be able send one of their children to study in overseas uni. It easily represents the single biggest expense for their kid that they could incur in their lifetimes.

Anyone who comes from a family which can afford to send at least 1 child to study overseas is definitely not from a “humbler middle income family”. Describing oneself as such only reflects how privileged and shallow one is.

Unregistered 14-12-2023 05:26 PM

Which international firms in SG pay more than big 4?

Unregistered 14-12-2023 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263062)
Which international firms in SG pay more than big 4?

Besides BMWL and cc