Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 03-10-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185098)
Good point. I didn't even know Flinders and Tasmania existed. At least Manchester is good for football

a lot of people with psychology masters in sg actually grad from flinders

Unregistered 03-10-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185092)
Oh then you’re mistaken. There are objective standards that was relied on to delist the universities. Those are found in the QS and THE rankings. Please check the rankings before commenting that there are no objective standards to measure rankings by.
Australia universities cannot be delisted due to a FTA between Sg and Australia.
If you talk about standards then students from those universities not in the top 150 based on QS and THE should not be allowed to practice, which makes absolutely no sense.

You call those objective? Those are objective in the same way that an ESPN commentator's opinion on who is the best NBA team is objective.

There are at least 4 rankings which will all show different rankings for each school based on a variety of different metrics.

"There are objective standards that was relied on to delist the universities." - Please show us where this came from, afaik SILE had never provided reasons for the schools that were chosen to be dropped, for good reason.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185101)
You call those objective? Those are objective in the same way that an ESPN commentator's opinion on who is the best NBA team is objective.

There are at least 4 rankings which will all show different rankings for each school based on a variety of different metrics.

"There are objective standards that was relied on to delist the universities." - Please show us where this came from, afaik SILE had never provided reasons for the schools that were chosen to be dropped, for good reason.

No wonder it’s a pain to teach juniors in a law firm. You end up having to redo the legal research they do. What a pain…
(1) s://.universityworldnews.com/post-mobile.php?story=2015022712383695
(2) s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/delisted-british-law-schools-express-disappointment
(3) s://.mlaw.gov.sg/files/news/press-releases/2013/05/4th%20Committee%20Report.pdf (see page 20 para 3.9)

You remind me of some atrocious research done by junior associates.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185103)
No wonder it’s a pain to teach juniors in a law firm. You end up having to redo the legal research they do. What a pain…
(2) s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/delisted-british-law-schools-express-disappointment
(3) s://.mlaw.gov.sg/files/news/press-releases/2013/05/4th%20Committee%20Report.pdf (see page 20 para 3.9)

Thanks for adding. I've looked at your sources. (3) is the most pertinent.

A basket of recent rankings were used.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185103)

And you remind me of the B4 senior assoc chumps who stay in the firm their entire lives begging for partnership .. tricked into doing other people's work for them on the weekend LOL

Unregistered 03-10-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185105)
And you remind me of the B4 senior assoc chumps who stay in the firm their entire lives begging for partnership .. tricked into doing other people's work for them on the weekend LOL

I'm not him, but ad hominem.

Even if he's a "B4 senior assoc chump", address the issue.

You have said there are no reasons given, and there is no objective evidence, contrary to the literature published on the issue. You have also said SILE provided no reasons.

He's just pointing out that there is an objective basis and even if one survey is, in your view, not reflective, a basket of surveys were used.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185108)
I'm not him, but ad hominem.

Even if he's a "B4 senior assoc chump", address the issue.

You have said there are no reasons given, and there is no objective evidence, contrary to the literature published on the issue. You have also said SILE provided no reasons.

He's just pointing out that there is an objective basis and even if one survey is, in your view, not reflective, a basket of surveys were used.

It's not the Committee/OP's fault that your school was ranked lowly by the basket of surveys..

Unregistered 03-10-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185109)
It's not the Committee/OP's fault that your school was ranked lowly by the basket of surveys..

The Committee also found at Paragraph 3.9 that "this will serve to realign the function of the list of OSUs in the Schedule as the first-level guarantee of quality".

This is already quite objective. A basket of surveys were used to hedge against fluctuations. They also recommended inviting a few more schools after each 5-year review.

I don't quite think there is more to say, save as to express my condolences.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 05:24 PM

Is the NUS JD worth taking with the glut of lawyers in Singapore?

Unregistered 03-10-2021 06:36 PM

Any seniors working in house for tech firms? What are the hours , pay and progression like for a junior lawyer (below pqe 5). Many thanks