Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 23-05-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170166)
To prove to Mr Smartypants that an Oxford grad can get Harvard anytime, I will apply to Harvard LLM/SJD.

Was thinking of BCL but Mr smartypants just made me want to compete with him for his job even more

Unregistered 23-05-2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170164)
Trainees, how are your retention rates and packages this year?

Bump bump.

Unregistered 23-05-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170173)
Bump bump.

Baker didn't retain me. I think less than 65percent retained

Unregistered 23-05-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170175)
Baker didn't retain me. I think less than 65percent retained

A certain team in one of the B4. All trainees retained; 5.8k.

Unregistered 24-05-2021 12:45 AM

Got retained but asked to work as legal exec. What does it mean? Should I renege and apply Tc elsewhere?

Unregistered 24-05-2021 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170195)
Got retained but asked to work as legal exec. What does it mean? Should I renege and apply Tc elsewhere?

How do you renege on a TC that has already been performed...?

Retained as a legal executive = not retained unless there is a concrete plan

Unregistered 24-05-2021 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170195)

Means they want to con you into doing the work but not paying you associate salary lah. Don't forget, apart from a lower base salary right now , you're also probably not going to get an annual increment on the same salary scale as a real legal associate, and most likely a crap bonus too

There's no such thing as renege. You don't owe them anything to stay. Leave the moment you find a real LA offer elsewhere

Unregistered 24-05-2021 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170199)
Means they want to con you into doing the work but not paying you associate salary lah. Don't forget, apart from a lower base salary right now , you're also probably not going to get an annual increment on the same salary scale as a real legal associate, and most likely a crap bonus too

There's no such thing as renege. You don't owe them anything to stay. Leave the moment you find a real LA offer elsewhere

And he or she doesn't get PQE, I assume. Which really sucks.

It is worse than being a real LA with a pay cut. Even if you got retained with a pay cut which subsequently is bumped up when a real position is available, it is a real struggle explaining to anywhere else why you were not retained as a lawyer.

I'd rather go elsewhere.

Unregistered 24-05-2021 01:23 AM

Bad advice. In this kind of market, you want to argue for LA when you’ve been given an Exec job? Be realistic. The economy will take years to recover. As a LA, your job is easily replaceable by AI, new tech, in-house counsels, etc.

Unregistered 24-05-2021 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170200)
And he or she doesn't get PQE, I assume. Which really sucks.

It is worse than being a real LA with a pay cut. Even if you got retained with a pay cut which subsequently is bumped up when a real position is available, it is a real struggle explaining to anywhere else why you were not retained as a lawyer.

I'd rather go elsewhere.

Titles matter. I'd either negotiate for that title but take a pay cut for now.