Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   which have a better prospect, business or engineering? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/6472-have-better-prospect-business-engineering.html)

ngkj 11-01-2016 10:38 PM

which have a better prospect, business or engineering?
 
Hi all i have just ORD from army and now deciding to study UNI but don't know which to choose. I graduate from NYP in Electronics,computer and communication Engineering specialized in wafer fabrication.
i plan to study engineering but many says that business have more future prospect being higher pay,office environment and of course more gals compare to engineering lesser pay and blah blah blah. And so now i am in a dilemma to choose between business or engineering.
if into engineering it will be electrical or electronic in the mean time trying to get into marine if possible.
For business i have not made any choices yet.
any advice between this two anyone which has a better prospect and salary?

Unregistered 11-01-2016 10:42 PM

Mr lohhhhhhhhhhhh

Unregistered 11-01-2016 10:42 PM

dont waste ur time on a biz deg. u dont need to spend 4 years and 30k to learn fluff.

Unregistered 11-01-2016 10:49 PM

What type of business function are you interested in?

Marketing
Procurement
Sales
HR
Finance

ngkj 11-01-2016 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77909)
dont waste ur time on a biz deg. u dont need to spend 4 years and 30k to learn fluff.

true that but i was told that business have better prospect compared to engineering. Better pay,better working environment.

ngkj 11-01-2016 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77910)
What type of business function are you interested in?

Marketing
Procurement
Sales
HR
Finance

i am open to all except sales, but what important is that which have a better prospect,pay and job advancement?

Unregistered 12-01-2016 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngkj (Post 77914)
i am open to all except sales, but what important is that which have a better prospect,pay and job advancement?

Prospect depends on u, not ur deg.

Does being an engineer stop u from getting into Prestigious and well paying banking jobs? No.
Will the faculty of engineering advertise it when their students get into such non engineering role? No.
Will the faculty of biz advertise it? They will make sure the whole world knows about it.
If u r jus average or below average, will u get a job as an engineer? High chance.
But with a biz deg with no hard skills, u r screwed.

Unregistered 12-01-2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngkj (Post 77907)
Hi all i have just ORD from army and now deciding to study UNI but don't know which to choose. I graduate from NYP in Electronics,computer and communication Engineering specialized in wafer fabrication.
i plan to study engineering but many says that business have more future prospect being higher pay,office environment and of course more gals compare to engineering lesser pay and blah blah blah. And so now i am in a dilemma to choose between business or engineering.
if into engineering it will be electrical or electronic in the mean time trying to get into marine if possible.
For business i have not made any choices yet.
any advice between this two anyone which has a better prospect and salary?

well, when i left the force i was once in a dilemma but i continue to pursue an engineering degree. now in the workforce, i would say that if you intend to get a private uni business degree, then i might as well you get an engineering degree from either a local uni or a prestigious university. Reason being you dont need waste the money to get a business degree as if you have a good engineering degree, you can get into business sector doing technology or engineering related business. furthermore, local sme or GLC honestly prefer local grad (or prestigious) uni grad rather then pte uni. I'm in the GLC and yup although they do hire pte uni grad but the advancement was really bad and they dont pay well too. nowadays, places like banks and other business sector wants engineering students more then others because engineering is a course that makes you think a lot further and nowadays a lot of business is related to technology and engineering, if you dont have any knowledge in them, how are you gg to create business for the company?

business is too general and not all pays well. if you wan good pay and dont mind the hectic hours, finance or accountant is good. But if you analyse the market, engineering can bring you further then business. last but not least, apply and see what school you can get into first!

Unregistered 12-01-2016 08:51 AM

if you want to study business, study accountancy instead, the language of business. A professional degree. Dont need to worry about securing job when grad as always in demand. Studying in a business school also helps you hone your soft skills like public speaking, presentation, etc.

Unregistered 12-01-2016 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngkj (Post 77907)
Hi all i have just ORD from army and now deciding to study UNI but don't know which to choose. I graduate from NYP in Electronics,computer and communication Engineering specialized in wafer fabrication.
i plan to study engineering but many says that business have more future prospect being higher pay,office environment and of course more gals compare to engineering lesser pay and blah blah blah. And so now i am in a dilemma to choose between business or engineering.
if into engineering it will be electrical or electronic in the mean time trying to get into marine if possible.
For business i have not made any choices yet.
any advice between this two anyone which has a better prospect and salary?

I think it depends on whether you're choosing a local/private university. I agree with one of the posters that taking a local engineering degree is better than private business degree.

I'm not in the engineering sector but from what I've heard, it's quite a stable industry. With a business degree, you can get into really high paying jobs but you will probably have to have excellent grades or good relevant working experience.

If you want stability in business you can also consider accountancy? Studying accountancy will also allow you to get into banking jobs if you do well. (for local university, i don't have sufficient info for private degree) At the same time, you can always go into auditing or accounting that is pretty stable.

Hope this helps!


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2