Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   which have a better prospect, business or engineering? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/6472-have-better-prospect-business-engineering.html)

Unregistered 12-01-2016 09:30 AM

Pursue your dreams.

Longkkj 12-01-2016 05:30 PM

1. From engr to biz, need add 1year?
2. Engr is logic.. Biz is fluff.. Hard to switch.
3. Engr in o&g have prospect, Biz in banking have prospect. Which both now are in mud. Of course fmcg n pharmacy are still standing well
4. Engr is very wide you can find your niche. Same for business. Accounting if you are in big4, you might cry for worklife balance.

What is your decision pt? Next 5 years, growth or glam. Next 10 years work life balance.
Some industry have growth and no balance..
Meaning short term you growth, then you want to slow down.. No option

There is no str8 answer

ngkj 12-01-2016 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77924)
well, when i left the force i was once in a dilemma but i continue to pursue an engineering degree. now in the workforce, i would say that if you intend to get a private uni business degree, then i might as well you get an engineering degree from either a local uni or a prestigious university. Reason being you dont need waste the money to get a business degree as if you have a good engineering degree, you can get into business sector doing technology or engineering related business. furthermore, local sme or GLC honestly prefer local grad (or prestigious) uni grad rather then pte uni. I'm in the GLC and yup although they do hire pte uni grad but the advancement was really bad and they dont pay well too. nowadays, places like banks and other business sector wants engineering students more then others because engineering is a course that makes you think a lot further and nowadays a lot of business is related to technology and engineering, if you dont have any knowledge in them, how are you gg to create business for the company?

business is too general and not all pays well. if you wan good pay and dont mind the hectic hours, finance or accountant is good. But if you analyse the market, engineering can bring you further then business. last but not least, apply and see what school you can get into first!

but to be honest my diploma result also not very good lol only 2.58 which mean that i can only get into private uni only for both bus and eng

ngkj 12-01-2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longkkj (Post 77961)
1. From engr to biz, need add 1year?
2. Engr is logic.. Biz is fluff.. Hard to switch.
3. Engr in o&g have prospect, Biz in banking have prospect. Which both now are in mud. Of course fmcg n pharmacy are still standing well
4. Engr is very wide you can find your niche. Same for business. Accounting if you are in big4, you might cry for worklife balance.

What is your decision pt? Next 5 years, growth or glam. Next 10 years work life balance.
Some industry have growth and no balance..
Meaning short term you growth, then you want to slow down.. No option

There is no str8 answer

i see.Eng is more on balance? like whats the prospect of electrical eng degree? any advice?

Unregistered 12-01-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngkj (Post 77977)
i see.Eng is more on balance? like whats the prospect of electrical eng degree? any advice?

actually it depends on what industry you are in, rather than what course of studies...
of course there are course-industry co-relationship.

for example, accountants works in any industry.
for example, IT working in a semiconductor industry, maybe get 1k lesser pay than in fmcg; IT working in banking get 2k more than pharma... etcs...

ngkj 13-01-2016 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77983)
actually it depends on what industry you are in, rather than what course of studies...
of course there are course-industry co-relationship.

for example, accountants works in any industry.
for example, IT working in a semiconductor industry, maybe get 1k lesser pay than in fmcg; IT working in banking get 2k more than pharma... etcs...

i see.i know that eng can go into a huge area of industry whereas bus cant. and also i just realized that private bus degree are actually much more cheaper than private eng degree. The chance of me getting in to bus might be low as i only score a D7 for 'O' level ENGLISH.

in the next 5 year i wish to find both growth and balance, sound impossible tho
any advice on the raise increment compare between eng and bus?i heard lot of rumors that eng pay only increase a bit compare to bus which is much more.

Unregistered 13-01-2016 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngkj (Post 77990)
i see.i know that eng can go into a huge area of industry whereas bus cant. and also i just realized that private bus degree are actually much more cheaper than private eng degree. The chance of me getting in to bus might be low as i only score a D7 for 'O' level ENGLISH.

any advice on the raise increment compare between eng and bus?i heard lot of rumors that eng pay only increase a bit compare to bus which is much more.

It looks like you have been listening to the positive side of bus only. Business pay more only on certain field and not all. Also the value of your certificate and the company you got in really play a big part of what you will get. The reality is harsh over here and you got to analyse the future since you are still young.

Engineering do pay more which is also depend on ur field and company. Whatever it is, both need you to be good in maths and your understanding. Eng course is definitely more difficult then a business degree.

Unregistered 13-01-2016 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngkj (Post 77975)
but to be honest my diploma result also not very good lol only 2.58 which mean that i can only get into private uni only for both bus and eng

Then i would say you should gauge whether you can manage a degree course or not, regardless business or engineering. If your family is capable of sending you overseas to prestigious uni. i would strongly recommended that compare in getting a pte cert here.

i have few friends who left the force and choose a pte uni degree. i saw them despite having a merit cert and having a good poly result, they couldnt find a job for quite some time whereas a local grad who just got a 3rd class or not even an honors got the job first. another although got into a GLC but the prospect and pay was not even there. business and eng entry pay is different and i cant say that business is forever above engineering because looking at all my friends who got a pte degree in business, they start low and increment is the same range for all pte degree. i also have seen pte degree accountant who earn big bucks because they got other professional registration and courses on top of their cert, like get themself chartared and they took like >10 years to obtain a high pay which prestigious uni grad can achieve in maybe 7 years or so.

so, i wish you could put in more effort in the courses that you intend to take because if you got a pte uni cert and still didnt manage to score well, then it will be even harder. and eventhou u got into a company, there is a high chance you get paid a lot lesser and graded under advance diploma pay scheme rather then a uni grad.

Unregistered 13-01-2016 08:20 AM

if you would ask me, i would say that the value of your cert, results and luck will depend on the prosperity of your job, irregardless of your course.

Unregistered 13-01-2016 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngkj (Post 77990)

Let's say you go into supply chain management course. If you are in the top cohort you will land in p&g, gsk, jnj. If you are in the bottom, you will land in semiconductor..
Both job supply chain assistant doing logistics coordination..

Moral of story, if you are in the right course not enuff. You need to shine too.. No free durian even if you stand beside one..
I am in IT, there is a huge gap between a Java developer n an Sap programmer...