Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   front office - career advice (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/6154-front-office-career-advice.html)

Unregistered 14-11-2015 06:19 PM

oh dear, another sim acting street smart wanting to make it big in banking again....

Unregistered 14-11-2015 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75154)
oh dear, another sim acting street smart wanting to make it big in banking again....

It's a standard pte uni grad drill seen frequently. They tend to think acting like a devil may care jerk and throw in plenty of verbal wise cracks will stand out as "street smart" and ensure career success.

Unregistered 14-11-2015 09:30 PM

Well this one seems more sensible and down to earth than the rest. you should see the typical SIM on this board waving their "LSE" degrees about and indignantly claiming that if bill gates can drop out of harvard to make it big, they can too.

Unregistered 14-11-2015 10:39 PM

firstly, i've to agree you are just an insurance salesman. secondly, u have a first class why not you go into other aspects of finance? audit in deloitte is a good choice? many uol first class grads there doing audit there. granted low starting salary, but you'll get there in a few years. not to mention audit associate in deloitte as an experience is definitely gonna look good in your resume.

for mother ****ers who think deloitte don't employ uol graduates as audit associate, please go linkedin and look around if you're still a poor uni student.

Unregistered 14-11-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75168)
firstly, i've to agree you are just an insurance salesman. secondly, u have a first class why not you go into other aspects of finance? audit in deloitte is a good choice? many uol first class grads there doing audit there. granted low starting salary, but you'll get there in a few years. not to mention audit associate in deloitte as an experience is definitely gonna look good in your resume.

for mother ****ers who think deloitte don't employ uol graduates as audit associate, please go linkedin and look around if you're still a poor uni student.

Do note that Deloitte is the smallest and also the lowest starting pay and subsequent increment in terms of big 4 in SG. Yes they do accept SIM, but that's largely because many good grads are already taken up by the other 3, esp PWC & KPMG that strictly don't accept any pte uni grads. EY has the rare few once in a while.

Unregistered 15-11-2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75168)

tried applying.
no response, could be due to poor market conditions leading to freezing hiring head count. I dont eliminate the possibility of that.

either way, i've been advised to give sales role a try because of my eloquence, outlook and personal experience in investments. (>50k real cash, its not huge, but just in case some people are trying to point out i join virtual competitions, please, don't)

Unregistered 15-11-2015 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75175)
tried applying.
no response, could be due to poor market conditions leading to freezing hiring head count. I dont eliminate the possibility of that.

either way, i've been advised to give sales role a try because of my eloquence, outlook and personal experience in investments. (>50k real cash, its not huge, but just in case some people are trying to point out i join virtual competitions, please, don't)

Personal experience in investing wouldn't matter in a sales role unfortunately. You'll find out why when you join. SCB is a dying company, it keeps going through hiring and firing cycle, I would personally stay clear.

And if you want to go for managerial role in the future, it would be better for you to think what kind of managerial role you want. Please don't tell me anything is fine as long as it is a manger, cause that is totally not an answer. From sales you will probably go towards a sales managerial role, which is probably not what most people want unless they are really into sales. I am not saying moving to products or other functions are not possible, it is just very difficult and not the common path.

anba 15-11-2015 12:34 AM

Do what work you enjoy or least dislike. nuff said.

After a few years on the job, it makes no difference anymore. Few people genuinely enjoy their jobs. Most people become jaded and and even fewer people actually get to do work they want. This RM job of yours will probably have reliable hours etc.. So you can go use your spare time to focus on the 'Life' aspect of work-life balance.

Unregistered 15-11-2015 01:10 AM

Quote:

tried applying.

Whoever advised you on this has no idea what he/she is talking about. Eloquence is only a small part of being a successful salesman and playing with 50k in the stock market has ZERO relation with doing insurance sales.

I agree with the poster on top - do what is at least acceptable to you, don't just join sales because someone gave you some bad advice or you just have some fuzzy concept of becoming a 'manager'.

Unregistered 17-11-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

tried applying.

Deloitte just had a mass recruitment exercise 1-2months back at ntu/smu.

no, deloitte brings in sim 3levels below local grads.