Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed! (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4955-civil-public-sector-ministry-stat-boards-employees-knowledge-needed.html)

Unregistered 28-02-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearoftheunknown (Post 63451)
Lol but the poster is trying to get govt jobs, and grades are everything in public service. Or so I heard.

hard truths, govt says there're jobs for diplomas and ITEs too, but it's probably a "not in my backyard" situation.

those who know about the civil service will know there is division I, II, III, IV, with degree holders usually falling into division I. ask yourself why is there a need to segregate people into divisions?

Unregistered 28-02-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63465)
hard truths, govt says there're jobs for diplomas and ITEs too, but it's probably a "not in my backyard" situation.

those who know about the civil service will know there is division I, II, III, IV, with degree holders usually falling into division I. ask yourself why is there a need to segregate people into divisions?

Then maybe I should have chose the typical JC-Uni route instead. Few years back I chose the diploma-work route as I wanted to gain hands-on experience which I thought is more practical. If I don't get at least an interview soon I might start to regret my past decision... Contrary to what the govt says, I guess having a degree is really important in Singapore, well at least in the govt sector.

Unregistered 28-02-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63473)
Then maybe I should have chose the typical JC-Uni route instead. Few years back I chose the diploma-work route as I wanted to gain hands-on experience which I thought is more practical. If I don't get at least an interview soon I might start to regret my past decision... Contrary to what the govt says, I guess having a degree is really important in Singapore, well at least in the govt sector.

I don't understand what is the confusion. Government did not said that degree is not important, having a recognized degree will increase ur chances of getting better jobs and earning higher lifetime income.

What the government has been saying is to NOT get a degree for the sake of getting one if you r not cut out for it. Getting a degree from universities that accepts anyone who are not mentally challenged will not miraculously open up better opportunities.

Unregistered 09-03-2015 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63475)
I don't understand what is the confusion. Government did not said that degree is not important, having a recognized degree will increase ur chances of getting better jobs and earning higher lifetime income.

What the government has been saying is to NOT get a degree for the sake of getting one if you r not cut out for it. Getting a degree from universities that accepts anyone who are not mentally challenged will not miraculously open up better opportunities.

whether you like it or not, degree is going to be the norm in the future. good luck

Unregistered 10-03-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63473)

sorry for the harsh comments follows but I'd say you are either "stupid" or "been misled" back when you made that decision. There's a reason why JC-uni has higher entrance requirement than poly-work route. An easy route rarely leads to more profitable outcome - it is simply against market norm. I believe what the government's recent anouncement actually means giving diploma holders some chance to progress instead of none, not that they'll be treated equally as degree holders.

Unregistered 25-03-2015 01:35 AM

May I know what's the salary of a fresh grad (with NS) in EMA as an analyst?

Unregistered 25-03-2015 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63465)

Who gets into div 1, 2, 3 and 4?
can a uni grad be in div 2?

Unregistered 15-04-2015 07:39 PM

hello!

Im a local poly kia, graduate this year and Im looking at working in CPF. I wish to know how is the working culture like in CPF?

SG50 16-04-2015 02:53 PM

It is not about the culture but your work attitude.

Unregistered 17-04-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearoftheunknown (Post 62024)
Eh no, he is corp comms manager only because the chinese directors like him, he curries favour with the new chinese CEO, and there are no senior singaporeans in the company to lead the newly formed corp comms dept after the company went through major restructuring...He wouldn't have what it takes to be a corp comms manager if he were to be in a MNC or civil service. Spewing rainbows and unicorns can get you to the top, but you won't stay long cos people can see through the lack of substance/inability. It applies to not just comms/PR alone but also to all the jobs out there. Always make sure you have the substance to prove your talk otherwise people will not respect you just like how I do not respect my manager.

But he is still your manager right? See the difference? Smoking and carry ball skill make a world of difference for promotion. And you are still stuck below him.