Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed! (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4955-civil-public-sector-ministry-stat-boards-employees-knowledge-needed.html)

Unregistered 28-02-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearoftheunknown (Post 63451)
Lol but the poster is trying to get govt jobs, and grades are everything in public service. Or so I heard.

hard truths, govt says there're jobs for diplomas and ITEs too, but it's probably a "not in my backyard" situation.

those who know about the civil service will know there is division I, II, III, IV, with degree holders usually falling into division I. ask yourself why is there a need to segregate people into divisions?

Unregistered 28-02-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63465)
hard truths, govt says there're jobs for diplomas and ITEs too, but it's probably a "not in my backyard" situation.

those who know about the civil service will know there is division I, II, III, IV, with degree holders usually falling into division I. ask yourself why is there a need to segregate people into divisions?

Then maybe I should have chose the typical JC-Uni route instead. Few years back I chose the diploma-work route as I wanted to gain hands-on experience which I thought is more practical. If I don't get at least an interview soon I might start to regret my past decision... Contrary to what the govt says, I guess having a degree is really important in Singapore, well at least in the govt sector.

Unregistered 28-02-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63473)
Then maybe I should have chose the typical JC-Uni route instead. Few years back I chose the diploma-work route as I wanted to gain hands-on experience which I thought is more practical. If I don't get at least an interview soon I might start to regret my past decision... Contrary to what the govt says, I guess having a degree is really important in Singapore, well at least in the govt sector.

I don't understand what is the confusion. Government did not said that degree is not important, having a recognized degree will increase ur chances of getting better jobs and earning higher lifetime income.

What the government has been saying is to NOT get a degree for the sake of getting one if you r not cut out for it. Getting a degree from universities that accepts anyone who are not mentally challenged will not miraculously open up better opportunities.

Unregistered 09-03-2015 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63475)
I don't understand what is the confusion. Government did not said that degree is not important, having a recognized degree will increase ur chances of getting better jobs and earning higher lifetime income.

What the government has been saying is to NOT get a degree for the sake of getting one if you r not cut out for it. Getting a degree from universities that accepts anyone who are not mentally challenged will not miraculously open up better opportunities.

whether you like it or not, degree is going to be the norm in the future. good luck

Unregistered 10-03-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63473)

sorry for the harsh comments follows but I'd say you are either "stupid" or "been misled" back when you made that decision. There's a reason why JC-uni has higher entrance requirement than poly-work route. An easy route rarely leads to more profitable outcome - it is simply against market norm. I believe what the government's recent anouncement actually means giving diploma holders some chance to progress instead of none, not that they'll be treated equally as degree holders.

Unregistered 25-03-2015 01:35 AM

May I know what's the salary of a fresh grad (with NS) in EMA as an analyst?

Unregistered 25-03-2015 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63465)

Who gets into div 1, 2, 3 and 4?
can a uni grad be in div 2?

Unregistered 15-04-2015 07:39 PM

hello!

Im a local poly kia, graduate this year and Im looking at working in CPF. I wish to know how is the working culture like in CPF?

SG50 16-04-2015 02:53 PM

It is not about the culture but your work attitude.

Unregistered 17-04-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearoftheunknown (Post 62024)
Eh no, he is corp comms manager only because the chinese directors like him, he curries favour with the new chinese CEO, and there are no senior singaporeans in the company to lead the newly formed corp comms dept after the company went through major restructuring...He wouldn't have what it takes to be a corp comms manager if he were to be in a MNC or civil service. Spewing rainbows and unicorns can get you to the top, but you won't stay long cos people can see through the lack of substance/inability. It applies to not just comms/PR alone but also to all the jobs out there. Always make sure you have the substance to prove your talk otherwise people will not respect you just like how I do not respect my manager.

But he is still your manager right? See the difference? Smoking and carry ball skill make a world of difference for promotion. And you are still stuck below him.

Unregistered 29-04-2015 11:10 AM

Anybody working in MTI stat boards like STB and EDB?
Diploma grad here with few years work exp & trying to apply to MTI but no replies, so wanna try their stat board see if got luck..

Unregistered 29-04-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66054)
Anybody working in MTI stat boards like STB and EDB?
Diploma grad here with few years work exp & trying to apply to MTI but no replies, so wanna try their stat board see if got luck..

EDB and MTI usually only take in the best. Well that is for Div 1 officers, not so sure about Div 2 and below. But I can say that it is easier to enter MTI than it will be to enter EDB.

Unregistered 29-04-2015 01:41 PM

How can EDB a statboard be harder to get in than a ministry. Tbh I never heard of it till I searched, either its too hard to get in that no one bothers applying or its not a good place to work in.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66055)
EDB and MTI usually only take in the best. Well that is for Div 1 officers, not so sure about Div 2 and below. But I can say that it is easier to enter MTI than it will be to enter EDB.

Unregistered 29-04-2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66057)
How can EDB a statboard be harder to get in than a ministry. Tbh I never heard of it till I searched, either its too hard to get in that no one bothers applying or its not a good place to work in.

EDB is definitely harder to get in my opinion. EDB look at the holistic development of the candidate, while MTI just merely look at your academic credential. EDB's interview is much tougher than MTI.

But MTI pays much better than EDB. In fact MTI is one of the top 3 better paying civil service job. I was offered about 4.5K as a fresh grad to join MTI 3 years ago. How ridiculous high is that for a fresh grad with no work exp? ( I have only one internship)

Source: I was rejected by EDB, but luckily accepted into MTI.

Unregistered 29-04-2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66060)
EDB is definitely harder to get in my opinion. EDB look at the holistic development of the candidate, while MTI just merely look at your academic credential. EDB's interview is much tougher than MTI.

But MTI pays much better than EDB. In fact MTI is one of the top 3 better paying civil service job. I was offered about 4.5K as a fresh grad to join MTI 3 years ago. How ridiculous high is that for a fresh grad with no work exp? ( I have only one internship)

4.5K as a fresh grad? Are you trolling us? Even you are from Ivy-league university with a first-class, I doubt they will even pay you so much.

U meaning working in Ministry of defense?

Unregistered 29-04-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66062)
4.5K as a fresh grad? Are you trolling us? Even you are from Ivy-league university with a first-class, I doubt they will even pay you so much.

Its is true. In fact, I used to in the HR in MTI 2 years back. Now , it definitely higher, close to 5K for a fresh grad with NS with FCH. Anyway, you do not need an ivy league degree to enter, all you need is at least a good honours (2nd-upper) from the local unis.

They are from a different track, not the typical MX scheme in ministry but the economist scheme track.

Round1 : Informal chat with senior economist usu. is ES6 or above
Round 2: Technical test
Round 3 : Interview with directors, usu. is ES4-5
Last round: Clearance by permanent secretary of MTI (behind closed doors you would not know!)

://.mti.gov.sg/Careers/Pages/Grow-as-an-Economist.aspx

Unregistered 29-04-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66062)

TOP-TIER SB pay at least 4K+ for FCH (WITH NS).

i not surprised if TS get offered 4.5k lol.

Unregistered 29-04-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66063)
Its is true. In fact, I used to in the HR in MTI 2 years back. Now , it definitely higher, close to 5K for a fresh grad with NS with FCH. Anyway, you do not need an ivy league degree to enter, all you need is at least a good honours (2nd-upper) from the local unis.

They are from a different track, not the typical MX scheme in ministry but the economist scheme track.

Round1 : Informal chat with senior economist usu. is ES6 or above
Round 2: Technical test
Round 3 : Interview with directors, usu. is ES4-5
Last round: Clearance by permanent secretary of MTI (behind closed doors you would not know!)

://.mti.gov.sg/Careers/Pages/Grow-as-an-Economist.aspx

Hi, for a non-scholar local uni grad, will I ever reach ES6?
And what are the chances that they will not convert me to perm or renew my contract after 2 years?
Will I be promote to ES7 automatically after a certain period of time? if yes, how long?

Unregistered 29-04-2015 04:53 PM

What is Div 1 Div 2? Can someone explain... i frm pte sector.. thinking of switching to gov sector.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66055)

Unregistered 29-04-2015 04:57 PM

I understand even for permanent positions, there would be a 1 year or 2 year contract before being converted to permanent basis.

What about for jobs in stat boards that are advertised as being contract in the first place? Such as having a bracket beside that states (6 months contract) or (11 months contract).

My concern for these type of jobs is the conversion rate. Would majority of these kind of contracts just end and the staff being let go or there is also a good chance of conversion for such short contracts?

Unregistered 29-04-2015 05:02 PM

If MTI is easier to get in and they pay better, why would ppl still apply EDB smh. Ppl would rather work in a ministry than a Stat Board. Sounds pretty unrealistic to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66060)

Unregistered 29-04-2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66079)
If MTI is easier to get in and they pay better, why would ppl still apply EDB smh. Ppl would rather work in a ministry than a Stat Board. Sounds pretty unrealistic to me.

That's bcos the there is only one department in the entire MTI (in fact, the entire civil/public service) that is under the economist scheme. And not everyone is eligible to apply for the scheme as it requires a good hons in economics at the very least.

Btw 4.5k is the starting pay for second upper for those under the ES scheme now. First class is around 4.8-4.9k

Unregistered 29-04-2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66066)
Hi, for a non-scholar local uni grad, will I ever reach ES6?
And what are the chances that they will not convert me to perm or renew my contract after 2 years?
Will I be promote to ES7 automatically after a certain period of time? if yes, how long?

Hi, it depends on your CEP. It is a bit difficult for me to advise.
I would need more information.

E.g: Class of honours (2.1 vs 1st class)
Intention to pursue to master in economics?

Yes. ES7 is almost automatically if you do not screw up.

My advice is to brush up on your writing and presentation skills as much as you can , especially your writing skills.

Good luck :)

Unregistered 29-04-2015 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66085)
Hi, it depends on your CEP. It is a bit difficult for me to advise.
I would need more information.

E.g: Class of honours (2.1 vs 1st class)
Intention to pursue to master in economics?

Yes. ES7 is almost automatically if you do not screw up.

My advice is to brush up on your writing and presentation skills as much as you can , especially your writing skills.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the reply.
I will work on those 2 areas as you advised :)

Unregistered 29-04-2015 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66076)
What is Div 1 Div 2? Can someone explain... i frm pte sector.. thinking of switching to gov sector.

Degree = Div1
Diploma = Div2

Unregistered 30-04-2015 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66079)

Because in some sense, your CV looks better if you come from EDB than if you were to come from MTI. It is well known that EDB is a place where they groom scholars. Doesn't hurt that the role of EDB allows you to interact with all those big MNCs overseas. Very easy to network and jump when opportunity arises. That's why people clamour to go there.

Unregistered 01-05-2015 09:49 AM

I can imagine that it sux if u're not a scholar and u're working there... looks like promotion wouldn't come to a non-scholar at all given the number of more eligible people in the department rather than u.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66103)
Because in some sense, your CV looks better if you come from EDB than if you were to come from MTI. It is well known that EDB is a place where they groom scholars. Doesn't hurt that the role of EDB allows you to interact with all those big MNCs overseas. Very easy to network and jump when opportunity arises. That's why people clamour to go there.

Unregistered 02-05-2015 05:23 PM

Heard the gov is going to combine the graduates and non-grad scheme (diploma) this year. Can someone confirm this? And will people in the current MSO scheme remain or will they be converted as well?

Unregistered 02-05-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66208)
Heard the gov is going to combine the graduates and non-grad scheme (diploma) this year. Can someone confirm this? And will people in the current MSO scheme remain or will they be converted as well?

there are not much information available yet. but common sense tells me that the existing mso will obviously be converted.. Otherwise, ppl are just going to mass quit and join again.

and even tho deg and dip holder will be under the same scheme on paper, whether a dip holder will be given the same opportunities is another story. perhaps it will take a dip holder 4 years or more to catch up with a fresh deg holder. CEP is another issue.

but of cos, the civil service will need some poster boy to tell the public that the combined scheme is working... so, if u r one of the lucky few selected to be the poster boy then good for u.

Unregistered 05-05-2015 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66103)

What is it like working in edb for non-grads? I went to their career portal & there are many bachelors position available but only few vacancies for diploma positions. Any non-grads working there to give some insight on working life in there??

Unregistered 05-05-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66347)
What is it like working in edb for non-grads? I went to their career portal & there are many bachelors position available but only few vacancies for diploma positions. Any non-grads working there to give some insight on working life in there??

There are many scholars in EDB, not a good place for non-grads to work long-term.

Unregistered 05-05-2015 03:13 PM

I need some opinion from the crowd.

To give a brief context, I graduated with a pre-experience Masters in local U with Dean's list. I read my postgrad in business. For undergrad, I read my bachelor's in SIT and hence am unsure if it's recognized as a private or local U. I did diploma in supply chain management.

I usually get called up for interviews but always fail to secure the job. I applied to economic development SBs such as MTI, STB, EDB, IE Sing, Spring and have always successfully pass through to the second/last round before getting rejected. My O level grades are sub-par and I think they're hiring on a similar SOP?
Any advice if I should continue applying to the public service or just aim private sector and if so, where should I aim?

Unregistered 05-05-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66373)

To give a brief context, I graduated with a pre-experience Masters in local U with Dean's list. I read my postgrad in business. For undergrad, I read my bachelor's in SIT and hence am unsure if it's recognized as a private or local U. I did diploma in supply chain management.

I usually get called up for interviews but always fail to secure the job. I applied to economic development SBs such as MTI, STB, EDB, IE Sing, Spring and have always successfully pass through to the second/last round before getting rejected. My O level grades are sub-par and I think they're hiring on a similar SOP?
Any advice if I should continue applying to the public service or just aim private sector and if so, where should I aim?

Sorry to say but you probably didn't perform well during the interview and/or writing test.

The fact that these agencies shortlisted you means that your qualifications were recognised to meet the requirements of the position.

At the interview stage, they are looking for qualities beyond the academic qualifications.

Unregistered 05-05-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Ur qualifications, results, uni, are all cleared if u r shortlisted for an interview

Unregistered 05-05-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66377)
Sorry to say but you probably didn't perform well during the interview and/or writing test.

The fact that these agencies shortlisted you means that your qualifications were recognised to meet the requirements of the position.

At the interview stage, they are looking for qualities beyond the academic qualifications.

Thank you for shedding some light.

I really doubt that I failed the writing tests as most of my applications failed after my submission of the written essays. For the most recent application,

Phone interview -> Passed and set up for next interview. Issued essay topic and personality test.
1st interview - > discussed my essay and passed, issued case study ppt
2nd interview -> discussed ppt, passed and set up final interview
last interview -> ended interview and was asked to select referee after interview. (submitted final documents as per their requests)

Referee was not even called and was immediately rejected.
It's hard to find closure getting rejected so abruptly (just 1 working day after) without a proper reason. Cited 'can't find a fit'.

Lose out to another candidate? but on 4-5 similar occasions?

Unregistered 05-05-2015 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66383)

I really doubt that I failed the writing tests as most of my applications failed after my submission of the written essays. For the most recent application,

Phone interview -> Passed and set up for next interview. Issued essay topic and personality test.
last interview -> ended interview and was asked to select referee after interview. (submitted final documents as per their requests)

It's hard to find closure getting rejected so abruptly (just 1 working day after) without a proper reason. Cited 'can't find a fit'.

Perhaps you can call up HR and see if they are willing to share the reason. Some friendly ones may tell you.

Unregistered 05-05-2015 07:46 PM

My two cents:

Having been on the other side of the hiring process a few times (not the boss but the notetaker), there could be a few reasons why you failed to clinch the job at the last round. The few times that my bosses were not keen on hiring someone is due to the "attitude" that the candidate showed. All things being equal, employers are more likely to hire someone who is willing to admit they do not know everything and who displays a keen and willing sense to learn, unlearn, and relearn. What turns employers off is those who pretend they know everything and try too hard to impress. Having a sincere and humble attitude often works, especially if one doesn't have much working experience in the field one is applying in. Show that you may not know all, but are willing to try to find out from others and learn. The point is that if you do not display the right attitude during the interview, chances are you are unlikely to fit into the office and team culture and will be more trouble than you're worth. Especially in the civil service, the ability to be a good team player is very crucial.

The other reason could be that the places you applied to are simply very competitive so the employers have the luxury to pick the cream of the crop. In this case, take it in your stride coz there will always be someone better than you so don't take it to heart.

Sometimes, timing is another factor too. Between Mar-Jul, there are many fresh grads competing for jobs, so the playing field is definitely more crowded. If you can afford to wait, try the "off peak" period from Aug-Feb where the competition may be less keen.

Keep trying and all the best!

Quote:

SG_User 07-05-2015 10:06 PM

IRAS? Good?

Unregistered 11-05-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Any reason why you're applying to economic agencies only? Competition is stiff, so it is pretty hard to enter these agencies. My advise to you will be to stop applying for these agencies, unless you have relevant experiences for the role you're applying for.

Unregistered 12-05-2015 12:19 AM

Quote:

Its probably your interview skills that need a boost. The fact that they called you in for interview means that there's probably nothing wrong with your paper qualifications. If you were lacking in your paper qualifications, they wont even call you up for an interview.