Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   KPMG or PWC? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4632-kpmg-pwc.html)

Jennifer 05-12-2014 12:59 PM

induction/on-boarding procedure

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59712)
What level are you joining at?

For Partners & above usually there will be a HR Manager in charge and she will walk through with you the overall induction plan and arrange the key local business stakeholders sessions for you. For regional/global roles someone from hub will also contact you to make arrangements on videocon / physical overseas engagement sessions.

For Directors and below, HR will just spend 15min on a group session with whoever also joining that day at the start go through some basic procedures and leave you with your department. Then really is up to how your department care, but most of them IMO quite disorganized or too busy so don't expect to be be led step by step.

There will be emails sent by HR to you to attend all sorts of compulsory sessions and e-learning in the next 6 months. AFAIK no fixed dates, so just sit back and work and when the invite comes accept and report on the stipulated time.

I joined as a Manager in PWC last month and the process was exhausting. Endless forms to fillup for payroll/CPF/insurance, sign in and out for laptop, next raise request for network and male aksecc, find a seat, and next day a litany of training programs on what the company is like, who to reach out in case of ethical dillema, company will not tolerate bullying, etc. Common sense stuff but still needed.

Why should other big4 be any different?

Unregistered 05-12-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer (Post 59714)
I joined as a Manager in PWC last month and the process was exhausting. Endless forms to fillup for payroll/CPF/insurance, sign in and out for laptop, next raise request for network and male aksecc, find a seat, and next day a litany of training programs on what the company is like, who to reach out in case of ethical dillema, company will not tolerate bullying, etc. Common sense stuff but still needed.

Why should other big4 be any different?

tats pretty much the SOP for any junior staff induction in any company

Clara 06-12-2014 10:41 PM

Manager not junior

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59731)

I think Manager in a big4 is already meddle level, not "junior staff".

Josephine 07-12-2014 12:53 PM

does PWC alllow BYOD for staff?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59731)

Are the staff in PWC permitted to bring their own devices to work? Or do they make do with whatever the company issues them with?

Unregistered 08-12-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clara (Post 59783)
I think Manager in a big4 is already meddle level, not "junior staff".

You gotta be kiding, there are countless number of managers in any big4, it is a standard title anyone who doesnt screw up will get after 2 years Associate + 2-3 years Senior Associate.

Unlesss you are including all those non-professional staff like clerks, adminsitrators, receptionist, shared services etc, a manager in big4 both in rank and pay is pretty low in the entire heirachy.

Associate Directors/Directors are more considered middle level. Do not be misled by fancy titles in the finance/consulting industry.

Unregistered 08-12-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59813)
managers in any big4, it is a standard title anyone who doesnt screw up will get after 2 years Associate + 2-3 years Senior Associate.

this. i was a tax manager in deloitte before, manager is a rank like captain in SAF. as long as you dont have a bad record and stay long enough, you will get it sooner or later.

Unregistered 09-12-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59821)
this. i was a tax manager in deloitte before, manager is a rank like captain in SAF. as long as you dont have a bad record and stay long enough, you will get it sooner or later.

If a manager is like a Captain, what is Colonel? And then who might be a 2 star general? A 3 star general is certainly the managing partner.

I thought I had left this stuff after ORD.

Unregistered 09-12-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samantha_wong (Post 59500)
I heard that PWC has a marvellous gym on their premises - free of cost to all staff.

singapore office? no...

samantha_wong 09-12-2014 11:08 PM

Sergent in Big

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59866)
If a manager is like a Captain, what is Colonel? And then who might be a 2 star general? A 3 star general is certainly the managing partner.

What is a sergent in big4 like, if a manager is a Captain?

Unregistered 10-12-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59866)

nope, a 3 star general would be a member of the exec com. a managing partners in SG is more equivalent to a CO (i.e. LTC or COL). iirc most big4 have 5-7 levels of managing partners.

Unregistered 10-12-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samantha_wong (Post 59870)
What is a sergent in big4 like, if a manager is a Captain?

a big4 business is in a knowledge based industry, it is not like manufacturing where you have a lot of blue collar workers at GCE O levels & below.

in that sense there are very little sergeants in a typical big 4. most of the "sergeants" would be people in shared service operations, administrative and clerical positions.

Unregistered 10-12-2014 10:50 AM

Obviously some people just want to put down managers in Big4, probably a loser who cannot even get in stuck in some pathetic SME job.

A manager in Big4 is more equal to a Colonel or Snr Deputy Director in the civil serivce OK.

Unregistered 10-12-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59885)
Obviously some people just want to put down managers in Big4, probably a loser who cannot even get in stuck in some pathetic SME job.

A manager in Big4 is more equal to a Colonel or Snr Deputy Director in the civil serivce OK.

A manager in a big4 typically makes 5-7k with 2-3 mths bonus, this is not even half of a Colonel or SDD's package, have some sense of proportion please.

Unregistered 06-03-2015 12:33 PM

Hi all,

I heard that KPMG will pay more for 1st class honours graduates. Is this true? Also, does this apply if you have already signed on with them? Thank you

Unregistered 06-03-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59885)

An colonel probably earn 12k-15k with at least 4 month bonus -6month bonus package for PB+AWS(13 mth +mid+yearend)
A Manager in Big 4 is like a captain rank...

I am a major in SAF, non-scholar, male, 31 year old earning about 8k without counting any bonus

Unregistered 06-03-2015 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63719)
An colonel probably earn 12k-15k with at least 4 month bonus -6month bonus package for PB+AWS(13 mth +mid+yearend)
A Manager in Big 4 is like a captain rank...

I am a major in SAF, non-scholar, male, 31 year old earning about 8k without counting any bonus

Yes. He is roughly right. A mng in Big 4 is about a pay for a captain

Unregistered 10-03-2015 01:30 PM

Associate Director - D2

I have an offer from (4 letter word big4) which shows title as Associate Director (D2) - would anyone know what is meant by D2 - IS it some grading/ ranking - if yes, then what is the grading structure.

The salary offered is 12K including CPF, is it at par with industry standards of big4 in Singapore. The role is in consulting function possibly RC/MC

I need to respond on this offer, request your help in getting some insight

Unregistered 03-08-2015 01:54 PM

Internal Audit

I have two offers. One from KPMG for an Associate position at their internal audit dept and another from PwC as a Risk Assurance Associate.

I would like to move to an internal audit role in a MNC or Bank in the future.

Which would be a better pick?

shoulder 10-10-2016 02:35 PM

Can anyone advise on the following,

I received an offer from KPMG, as an Associate in IT Assurance and from PwC, as an Associate in Risk Assurance (presumably doing Digital Trust).

Can I know what are the working hours for both, and what are the pros and cons of each of them?

Unregistered 10-10-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoulderingrealresponsi (Post 91084)

I received an offer from KPMG, as an Associate in IT Assurance and from PwC, as an Associate in Risk Assurance (presumably doing Digital Trust).

Can I know what are the working hours for both, and what are the pros and cons of each of them?

They are the same. You should focus on the work that you will be doing. They are different job scopes.

Unregistered 10-10-2016 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoulderingrealresponsi (Post 91084)

All big4 same culture lah. Working hours wise it is usually better than frontline audit, I would say roughly 60 hour work week on average. Just go in and gain 3-4 years exp and move on...

shoulder 10-10-2016 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91089)
They are the same. You should focus on the work that you will be doing. They are different job scopes.

Thanks. I was told by PwC that Risk Assurance encompass more than just doing IT Assurance. I was wondering if that is true or if anyone have any other insights about these two department.

Unregistered 11-10-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoulderingrealresponsi (Post 91094)
Thanks. I was told by PwC that Risk Assurance encompass more than just doing IT Assurance. I was wondering if that is true or if anyone have any other insights about these two department.

yes, because pwc also got it assurance dept which is separate from risk assurance.

Unregistered 30-03-2019 11:59 PM

Lai Lai, revive this topic.

Recently KPMG have
graduate program
corporate tax advisor
audit w/o auditing background

how ah...

heracles 02-04-2019 08:03 PM

Hi, I have an offer from a business management consulting firm offering 3.5k as well as one of the big4, assurance offering 3k. Should i be choosing compensation over brand(big4) . Fresh grad status

ps. i do not wish to disclose the bmc firm, not as big branding as big4.

Unregistered 19-06-2019 10:32 PM

What is associate director pay range for advisory like?

Unregistered 19-06-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heracles (Post 115978)
Hi, I have an offer from a business management consulting firm offering 3.5k as well as one of the big4, assurance offering 3k. Should i be choosing compensation over brand(big4) . Fresh grad status

ps. i do not wish to disclose the bmc firm, not as big branding as big4.

synpulse consulting? LOL