Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   KPMG or PWC? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4632-kpmg-pwc.html)

frostburn 21-10-2014 10:41 PM

KPMG or PWC?

Hi everyone, need some quick advice. Got offers from both PWC and KPMG.

For KMPG, I get an offer for Management Consulting (IT Assurance & Security) while PwC, I recieve Risk assurance.

Just to check, as a IT graduate, which one should I chose? I am in dilemma between this 2 and really need some help here.

Thanks

boongaylim 21-10-2014 11:03 PM

congratulations

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostburn (Post 57980)

For KMPG, I get an offer for Management Consulting (IT Assurance & Security) while PwC, I recieve Risk assurance.

Just to check, as a IT graduate, which one should I chose? I am in dilemma between this 2 and really need some help here.

Thanks

All the best. Both these companies are reputed ones. In general, I suggest the following guidelines for choosing between offers that appear equally good.

1. Salary and benefits - easy to compare in both cases
2. Is it a perm role or a contract position - go for a perm role, if possible
3. Travel - for both PWC/KPMG, there will be minimal travel.
4. Work-life balance - most tricky. Check with HR as well. In general I here that KPMG offers better balance but then opinions vary.

Unregistered 21-10-2014 11:50 PM

so far i usually hear about PwC and Deloitte being favored in the big four. KMPG sometimes pays better but hours are longer (or so i heard). two years ago, an acquaintance was offered by KMPG, he joined a local bank in the end. recently, he joined PwC.

if you really want a clear cut answer, then consider the pay package (if they differ). to some ppl, same **** everywhere.

frostburn 22-10-2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57984)
so far i usually hear about PwC and Deloitte being favored in the big four. KMPG sometimes pays better but hours are longer (or so i heard). two years ago, an acquaintance was offered by KMPG, he joined a local bank in the end. recently, he joined PwC.

if you really want a clear cut answer, then consider the pay package (if they differ). to some ppl, same **** everywhere.

If a job start immediately but lower pay as compare to the another which may have to wait for few months before start work, which would u choose. The difference of pay is very small.

frostburn 22-10-2014 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostburn (Post 57986)
If a job start immediately but lower pay as compare to the another which may have to wait for few months before start work, which would u choose. The difference of pay is very small.

So if I a job is lower pay and start immediately as compare to higher pay but start after few months, which would you chose, supposedly the pay difference is not big.

Unregistered 22-10-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostburn (Post 57988)
So if I a job is lower pay and start immediately as compare to higher pay but start after few months, which would you chose, supposedly the pay difference is not big.

pick the job you like better if there is one of the two.

yup, i emphasize, to pick the job you think you will like better.

i ever made the mistake of choosing the job that starts earlier cos the others didn't reply yet and i regretted. haha twice.

of course, there is a chance of the offer for the later starting one being withdrawn (for some ppl) but i don't think it happens often for private sector.

Unregistered 22-10-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58000)
pick the job you like better if there is one of the two.

yup, i emphasize, to pick the job you think you will like better.

i ever made the mistake of choosing the job that starts earlier cos the others didn't reply yet and i regretted. haha twice.

of course, there is a chance of the offer for the later starting one being withdrawn (for some ppl) but i don't think it happens often for private sector.

But once you sign contract with them, they wont withdrawn right?

Unregistered 22-10-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58003)
But once you sign contract with them, they wont withdrawn right?

Companies have the right to withdraw your offer even after you have signed.

Just pick the one that you like more and has more learning opportunities.

Unregistered 22-10-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks

just go for the one with the higher pay, this whole industry is like musical chairs. it is normal for ppl to jump ship within the big 4 every year, most mid career ppl will have exp in at least 2-3 of the big 4, so dun need to get hung up over one or another.

Unregistered 22-10-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58006)
just go for the one with the higher pay, this whole industry is like musical chairs. it is normal for ppl to jump ship within the big 4 every year, most mid career ppl will have exp in at least 2-3 of the big 4, so dun need to get hung up over one or another.

true for audit, but not so much for consulting.

Unregistered 23-10-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58016)
true for audit, but not so much for consulting.

Why is it so?

Unregistered 23-10-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58020)
Why is it so?

I think the usual trend is
- to move in to higher-tier consultancies
- to start your own boutique consultancy firm
- to move into industry (client-side)

Unregistered 23-10-2014 04:00 PM

i find turnover at consultancy even higher than audit. the problem i notice is for most consutancies in PWC unless you reach a senior level, most of the work by consultant is really transactional and volumous like BPO or shared service centres.

most ppl after 1-2 years will look to join client mncs with proper career path or move on to opp that can allow them more consultancy level work.

Jennifer 23-10-2014 11:22 PM

becoming a whore to look for a job

Is it true that some men behave like a whore while looking for a job?

This friend of mine was working with Deloitte for 6k. He applied to KPMG and got an offer for 6.5k. He told KPMG "I got a counteroffer for 6.8k. Can you match that?" KPMG came back with 7100. He now turns to Deloitte and says "can you match this offer of 7.5k from KPMG?" (look at the nerves of this liar). Of course, Delotte offered him 7.8k. He told KPMG to fly kite and is doing the same work in Deloitte that he was doing all along, but instead of 6k is drawing 7.8k. KPMG has threatened to blacklist him. He is not worried.

My (guy) friends say that he is smart. My (lady) friends say that he is whorish.

Who is right?

Unregistered 24-10-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer (Post 58053)

This friend of mine was working with Deloitte for 6k. He applied to KPMG and got an offer for 6.5k. He told KPMG "I got a counteroffer for 6.8k. Can you match that?" KPMG came back with 7100. He now turns to Deloitte and says "can you match this offer of 7.5k from KPMG?" (look at the nerves of this liar). Of course, Delotte offered him 7.8k. He told KPMG to fly kite and is doing the same work in Deloitte that he was doing all along, but instead of 6k is drawing 7.8k. KPMG has threatened to blacklist him. He is not worried.

My (guy) friends say that he is smart. My (lady) friends say that he is whorish.

Who is right?

Are you sure both Deloitte and KPMG are so stupid? If I were them (i.e. the HR person), I would ask him to show me the offer letter in black and white.

Such middleman tactic has been in use since forever - middleman tells factory he can supply 1000 tons of steel and at the same time tells steel maker he wants to place an order for 1000 tons at a slightly lower price.

But if Deloitte and KPMG are so stupid, they deserve to be ripped off by liars.

Unregistered 24-10-2014 09:38 AM

First of all, this story cannot be true. No company especially these big ones are so gullible. One time, maybe you can pull it off especially if you are the key guy doing the accounts of an important client, but to be adjusting the figures within a matter days (I supposed?) borders on fantasy and hallucinations.

Also I dont understand why you described the negotiating behaviour as whorish? What is whorish about it? Do you know the meaning of whorish?

A whore is a person who sell his body/soul for money. In the above case, he did not. He is using one company against another for his talent. On the other hand, he would be whorish if he offered to sleep with or "special services" the boss to get higher pay.

You are a b**** for posting this way.

Quote:

Who is right?

George 24-10-2014 09:52 AM

changing jobs and higher salary

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58063)
Are you sure both Deloitte and KPMG are so stupid? If I were them (i.e. the HR person), I would ask him to show me the offer letter in black and white.

But if Deloitte and KPMG are so stupid, they deserve to be ripped off by liars.

I dunno about Deloitte and KPMG, but in my industry (hospitality), this practice is rampant particlarly during the holiday season when the demand for staff is very high. Even without offer letters, many guys secure a higher salalry or bonus.

Unregistered 24-10-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58042)
i find turnover at consultancy even higher than audit. the problem i notice is for most consutancies in PWC unless you reach a senior level, most of the work by consultant is really transactional and volumous like BPO or shared service centres.

most ppl after 1-2 years will look to join client mncs with proper career path or move on to opp that can allow them more consultancy level work.

What do you mean by that? "transactional and volumous?"

Unregistered 24-10-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58074)
What do you mean by that? "proper career path"

I think PWC has a very well designed career movement and growth path. Employees at all levels get a chance to enhance their skills, etc.

Unregistered 24-10-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58075)
I think PWC has a very well designed career movement and growth path. Employees at all levels get a chance to enhance their skills, etc.

But is it worth to wait till certain period before working for them as compare to another big 4 which can start immediately

Unregistered 24-10-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered (Post 58081)
but is it worth to wait till certain period before working for them as compare to another big 4 which can start immediately

ey? D: D: D:

Unregistered 25-10-2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58075)

yea rite. so skill enhancement and growth path until every year suffer 25-30% attrition in PWC

Unregistered 25-10-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Who is right?

7.8k is Mgr level in big4? It is only possible if he is already assuming managerial duties but drawing a senior associate pay (6k). The stupid ones are his friends for believing him, since he is already called a liar by his friends.

Unregistered 25-10-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58081)
But is it worth to wait till certain period before working for them as compare to another big 4 which can start immediately

what's the rush? the average singaporean works until 60, no big deal waiting a few months for a job which is a better fit with your career aspirations isn't it?

George 27-10-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58096)
yea rite. so skill enhancement and growth path until every year suffer 25-30% attrition in PWC

Get your facts right. Not even McDonald's suffers such massive attrition. At 25-30% pa, almost the entire company will turn around in 3-4 years. I know of many folks who have been their for ages. Besides, many who quit return soon as nothing beats PWC in terms of work-life balance.

Unregistered 27-10-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George (Post 58181)
Get your facts right. Not even McDonald's suffers such massive attrition. At 25-30% pa, almost the entire company will turn around in 3-4 years. I know of many folks who have been their for ages. Besides, many who quit return soon as nothing beats PWC in terms of work-life balance.

Are you joking? Some McDonald's outlets suffer >100% attrition rates. Yes that means in some outlets, can change employees 2-3 times in just 1 year for the same job. I used to work in KFC for 9 months and the average life span of an employee there is 9 - 18 mths. You clearly know nothing about retail sector attrition and trying to talk nonsense.

A minority of jobs in PWC might have work-life balance, but seriously "nothing beats PWC in terms of work-life balance"? First time I heard PWC was ranked #1 in the whole world for work life balance.

Spouting nonsense like this might appear to you like just a harmless prank, but there are some impressionable just graduate never work before students here who are looking for their first job. You could mislead them in making important career decisions.

Unregistered 27-10-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58189)
Are you joking? Some McDonald's outlets suffer >100% attrition rates. Yes that means in some outlets, can change employees 2-3 times in just 1 year for the same job. I used to work in KFC for 9 months and the average life span of an employee there is 9 - 18 mths. You clearly know nothing about retail sector attrition and trying to talk nonsense.

A minority of jobs in PWC might have work-life balance, but seriously "nothing beats PWC in terms of work-life balance"? First time I heard PWC was ranked #1 in the whole world for work life balance.

Spouting nonsense like this might appear to you like just a harmless prank, but there are some impressionable just graduate never work before students here who are looking for their first job. You could mislead them in making important career decisions.

So why does PWC had this attrition rate? Company not doing well or people cant take it?

Big4Guy 31-10-2014 08:06 AM

Which one did you choose?

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostburn (Post 57988)

For the nature of work, IT assurance / audit and Security, KPMG is the largest amongst the Big4. PWC has a slightly different structure. The dept you're joining is more towards risk mgmt and internal audit/assurance type of work.

If you were to join the financial audit team, PWC is the best, largest.Tax, probably Deloitte / PWC. If you're doing IT related assruance work or IT related management consulting work, KPMG and Deloitte are clear leaders in this field.

If i were you I would go for KPMG at this stage in your life. Pay is not usually something to look at when you join a Big4.

Why i know this? I'm working at Deloitte. Previously from PWC. :)

Unregistered 31-10-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58197)
So why does PWC had this attrition rate? Company not doing well or people cant take it?

It is not unique to PWC. Finance industry generally has higher than normal attrition due to high stress and long working hours.

Also it is the culture especially among the junior workers to chalk up 1-2 years exp then try to look for openings in the market to get a salary increase.

All the big 4 are also around like that and some banks are even worse in terms of attrition.

Joji 05-11-2014 11:58 PM

how many rounds of interview in KPMG?

Quote:

Thanks

Hi,
I had 3 rounds of interviews with partners/directors (1 hr +30 Min + 1 hr). Thereafter almost 6-7 rounds of telephonic interviews with HR - how much is your current salary, bonus, medical, dental, performance based, shift allowance, etc. Every discussion lasts 20-30 minutes. I have spent more time discussing with HR my benefits which I am keen to leave behind than I have spent with partners discussing what value I can bring to this company.

Is this the standard way of recruitment in such companies?

Unregistered 07-11-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joji (Post 58520)
Hi,
I had 3 rounds of interviews with partners/directors (1 hr +30 Min + 1 hr). Thereafter almost 6-7 rounds of telephonic interviews with HR - how much is your current salary, bonus, medical, dental, performance based, shift allowance, etc. Every discussion lasts 20-30 minutes. I have spent more time discussing with HR my benefits which I am keen to leave behind than I have spent with partners discussing what value I can bring to this company.

Is this the standard way of recruitment in such companies?

No offence, but unless you are at least mid managerial level, i.e. director or jr partner level, I doubt they are really interested in knowing what sort of "value" you bring.

Most of the time the partners have no interest in junior roles, they are just there because HR protocol say someone with a minimal grade must approve. 6-7 HR calls is excessive, its probably them being disorganized, but dun let it get to you.

George 07-11-2014 11:36 PM

how many rounds of HR interview is the norm?

I interviewed with Cab Gemini not too long ago. HR has since been calling me time and again asking "how much did you make in 2007?" I told that I was in Hongkong that year and hence earned in HKD. They want to know the equivalent SGD and the medical benetis I enjoied in HK. Next they want to know if my employer then paid the relocation expenses from Singapore to Hongkong, and which airlines I used. I wonder how this questions can be relevant today. What to say?

Are these questions common in KPMG/PWC/EY/Accenture as well?

Unregistered 12-11-2014 10:29 PM

Recently got offered a contract position at one of the big 4, should i accept it? what are the chances of getting converted to perm staff from a contract role?

samantha_wong 18-11-2014 11:46 AM

contract position - accept or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58720)
Recently got offered a contract position at one of the big 4, should i accept it? what are the chances of getting converted to perm staff from a contract role?

Do accept the contract position if you do not have a better choice. Otherwise, good luck!!!

George 24-11-2014 02:34 PM

travel in KPMG

Does Management Consulting in KPMG involve a lot of travel?
I know that consulting in Accenture involves travelling to KL, Jakarta, etc.
What kind of allowance can I get, if I join KPMG? I have an offer for Manager role.

Unregistered 25-11-2014 03:35 PM

what are the benefits of working for KPMG/PWC/EY?

Hi,
Apart from salary, what benefits can one get?

Medical/hospitalisation
Educational programs
Performance based bonuses
Concessionary gym facilities

What else...

Elena 29-11-2014 11:26 AM

Whatever you have stated, they will most likely provide. What else do you want?

Mobile allowance? Yes
Dental? Yes
Lovely pantry? Yes

samantha_wong 30-11-2014 04:40 PM

benefits of PWC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elena (Post 59453)
Whatever you have stated, they will most likely provide. What else do you want?

Mobile allowance? Yes
Dental? Yes
Lovely pantry? Yes

I heard that PWC has a marvellous gym on their premises - free of cost to all staff.

George 05-12-2014 10:38 AM

joining KPMG soon

Hi,
I will be joining KPMG Singapore on 08-Dec. What can I expect on the first weak at work? Can someone tell me about their induction/training that every new staff needs to undergo. In some comapnies, induction is done twice a year. What about KPMG?
Thanks for letting me know.

George

Unregistered 05-12-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George (Post 59708)
Hi,
I will be joining KPMG Singapore on 08-Dec. What can I expect on the first weak at work? Can someone tell me about their induction/training that every new staff needs to undergo. In some comapnies, induction is done twice a year. What about KPMG?
Thanks for letting me know.

George

What level are you joining at?

For Partners & above usually there will be a HR Manager in charge and she will walk through with you the overall induction plan and arrange the key local business stakeholders sessions for you. For regional/global roles someone from hub will also contact you to make arrangements on videocon / physical overseas engagement sessions.

For Directors and below, HR will just spend 15min on a group session with whoever also joining that day at the start go through some basic procedures and leave you with your department. Then really is up to how your department care, but most of them IMO quite disorganized or too busy so don't expect to be be led step by step.

There will be emails sent by HR to you to attend all sorts of compulsory sessions and e-learning in the next 6 months. AFAIK no fixed dates, so just sit back and work and when the invite comes accept and report on the stipulated time.