Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   quit without job (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3521-quit-without-job.html)

floralpeace 29-01-2014 11:37 AM

quit without job

will it affect the resume?
resigned on good note but moving on..

Unregistered 29-01-2014 12:41 PM

short term is ok. say u went holiday. long term employment will raise eyebrows.

floralpeace 29-01-2014 01:25 PM

Im actually looking for roles specific to what I was doing. Does this means that if cannot find I shud just take anythg to make my gap short? Or would it better to find temporary placement?

Unregistered 04-02-2014 12:46 PM

I was abruptly pushed out of my company in december 2013. Was asked to resigned. Just because I accidentally outsmart my manager a few times in meetings with directors. My manager was very jealous and he made life difficult for me and made me almost go crazy under stress, and at last I was forced to resign.

I thought about complaining, but complain also no choice, I am only a junior exec, who will listen to me?

I have been jobless for 2 months already.

Have tried applying for many jobs, til now no response yet.

aspenx 04-02-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floralpeace (Post 47740)
will it affect the resume?
resigned on good note but moving on..

IMO, as long as you have a strong reason to back your decision when you are called up for interviews with the next prospective employer, it should be okay.

You might want to search the forums a little better. This issue has been addressed quite comprehensively by some other posters.

Unregistered 04-02-2014 01:50 PM

Hi I'm TS...My situation is similar to the above. I was with 3 managers (MNC) and 1 of them got jealous and started sowing discord, playing dirty tricks like sabotage, so I resigned without waiting bonus.
Im just quite worried if I want my current role might need wait few months....

Thanks to abv pointer, as Im new to this forum I did not search extensively, oni find first few page.

Unregistered 04-02-2014 01:54 PM

hellooooooooooo

Hi I'm TS...My situation is similar to the above. I was working under 3 managers (MNC) under a biz unit and 1 of them got jealous and started sowing discord, playing dirty tricks like constant sabotage, lashing out over nothing, snide remarks, so I resigned without waiting bonus.

Thanks to abv pointer, as Im new to this forum I did not search extensively, oni find first few page. Pardon me.

Right now looking out for jobs and serving notice period. Is there temp job esp for grads?

aspenx 04-02-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47871)
Hi I'm TS...My situation is similar to the above. I was working under 3 managers (MNC) under a biz unit and 1 of them got jealous and started sowing discord, playing dirty tricks like constant sabotage, lashing out over nothing, snide remarks, so I resigned without waiting bonus.

Thanks to abv pointer, as Im new to this forum I did not search extensively, oni find first few page. Pardon me.

Right now looking out for jobs and serving notice period. Is there temp job esp for grads?

How long were you employed there? You are not exactly resigning on a good note then?

You will need a pretty good reason to back you up if the employment wasn't long. There is also a danger with background checks (my present company actually called up my ex-bosses while I was serving the notice and asked for them to fill up detailed survey forms etc WITHOUT letting me know first that they would be doing such things!) seeing that you are not on good terms with one of the managers. You may want to get into his/her good books now but of course there's no guarantee. Otherwise, try to leave that certain manager out of the picture when you present yourself to the next employer (you have 2 other managers to vouch for you right?). I was lucky my references were nice enough even though I left on a not-so-great note.

As for temp jobs, it really depends on what you're looking for and what you can offer doesn't it?

Unregistered 04-02-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx (Post 47872)
How long were you employed there? You are not exactly resigning on a good note then?

You will need a pretty good reason to back you up if the employment wasn't long. There is also a danger with background checks (my present company actually called up my ex-bosses while I was serving the notice and asked for them to fill up detailed survey forms etc WITHOUT letting me know first that they would be doing such things!) seeing that you are not on good terms with one of the managers. You may want to get into his/her good books now but of course there's no guarantee. Otherwise, try to leave that certain manager out of the picture when you present yourself to the next employer (you have 2 other managers to vouch for you right?). I was lucky my references were nice enough even though I left on a not-so-great note.

As for temp jobs, it really depends on what you're looking for and what you can offer doesn't it?

Hi Aspen,

U oso left coz of politics? Im serving 11th month.......shud have waited out 1 more month :'(
If you didnt put their name, they would not know to call them right? I mean the coy so big cant be call in find an employee's managers. I hope to exclude that manager oni, the rest of the manager Im putting it.
BTW background checks is done by which sector? govt? big MNC? small MNC? SME?
Quite unfair that manager can do that sort of inethical thgs.

aspenx 07-02-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47877)
Hi Aspen,

U oso left coz of politics? Im serving 11th month.......shud have waited out 1 more month :'(
If you didnt put their name, they would not know to call them right? I mean the coy so big cant be call in find an employee's managers. I hope to exclude that manager oni, the rest of the manager Im putting it.
BTW background checks is done by which sector? govt? big MNC? small MNC? SME?
Quite unfair that manager can do that sort of inethical thgs.

I didn't leave because of politics per se.

That previous company was small and I reported to the directors. They know me quite well and I trust them to be professional enough in their dealings so I had no qualms about putting them down as references (previous company was one of the potential vendors for the new company so it might have helped too).

The blatant background check was done by a local listed company. Not very nice especially since it was done before informing in advance but it is actually legal.

Good luck.

lazyplane 07-02-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx (Post 47996)
I didn't leave because of politics per se.

That previous company was small and I reported to the directors. They know me quite well and I trust them to be professional enough in their dealings so I had no qualms about putting them down as references (previous company was one of the potential vendors for the new company so it might have helped too).

The blatant background check was done by a local listed company. Not very nice especially since it was done before informing in advance but it is actually legal.

Good luck.

Not defending the company but
what is the point of a background check by the company if you need to be informed in advance ? Also, the company asked you to provide references.
You as a candidate can choose whom you want to put down.

aspenx 07-02-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyplane (Post 48000)
Not defending the company but
what is the point of a background check by the company if you need to be informed in advance ? Also, the company asked you to provide references.
You as a candidate can choose whom you want to put down.

To clarify, this background check was made AFTER I accepted the offer.
Also to add, there were TWO different types of references required. The first type did not require a professional relationship. The second type required a professional relationship from "past employment" and that was the only one I had at the time.

I had also explicitly told the new company that I have not broken the news to my then-current employer.

If you were the boss, you would want to hear from your employer himself or be given a rude shock by his new to-be-employer? And how would you act if you were indeed given that rude shock?

Fortunately for me, I had talked to my bosses the day before the check was initiated and I was informed of it (by my then-employer).

The "benefit" of being informed in advance is to save face (of the people you referenced too) which in turn can possibly allow you leave on a better note and start in the new place without awkward misgivings (both employer and employee).

Hope that gives a better understanding. YMMV.

Unregistered 10-02-2014 11:59 AM

How is reference actually requested? Just ask directly?

darkstar 10-02-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floralpeace (Post 47745)
Im actually looking for roles specific to what I was doing. Does this means that if cannot find I shud just take anythg to make my gap short? Or would it better to find temporary placement?

Hi Floralpeace,

I used to be in a similar situation like yours and I am soon going to be in the same situation again!

I once really wanted to quit a job, so i just took the first offer that came my way. The job really made my life hell, so I left after 6 months - now people are asking me why (meaning interviewers) I stayed for so short!

it really depends on your qualifications and the industry you are in - somehow, I have the impression that for IT and Banking and finance,not so much a problem, but other industries, yes, it does raise questions that that person is a job-hopper/

darkstar 10-02-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47865)
I was abruptly pushed out of my company in december 2013. Was asked to resigned. Just because I accidentally outsmart my manager a few times in meetings with directors. My manager was very jealous and he made life difficult for me and made me almost go crazy under stress, and at last I was forced to resign.

I thought about complaining, but complain also no choice, I am only a junior exec, who will listen to me?

I have been jobless for 2 months already.

Have tried applying for many jobs, til now no response yet.

Me too! Eaxctly same situation but I am serving my notice period now!

Unregistered 10-02-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 48114)
Me too! Eaxctly same situation but I am serving my notice period now!

Man...So its so common for manager politics?
I tot I was the only one.
Hope the next one better.

Unregistered 10-02-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 48113)
Hi Floralpeace,

I used to be in a similar situation like yours and I am soon going to be in the same situation again!

I once really wanted to quit a job, so i just took the first offer that came my way. The job really made my life hell, so I left after 6 months - now people are asking me why (meaning interviewers) I stayed for so short!

it really depends on your qualifications and the industry you are in - somehow, I have the impression that for IT and Banking and finance,not so much a problem, but other industries, yes, it does raise questions that that person is a job-hopper/

Meaning that u left your first job for a second job which u didnt relly want...And is now taking another job which u relly dun want oso?

I left my first now serving notice...Like cant wait to hop into another.
But which is worse - appear like jobhopper? Or unemployed GAP in resume ..

darkstar 10-02-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48118)
Man...So its so common for manager politics?
I tot I was the only one.
Hope the next one better.

My first job, I left, because I was passed over for promotion, by a bunch of juniors whom later bullied me. the boss asked me to stop, but I left.

The second job, I kenna bullied by the boss. Another senior colleague later told me that the boss felt threatened that i would perform better than the third boss.

My third and current job, I was doing quite well. I quite like my job, I feel very comfortable with it, and got one time, I received a $300 increment as i hit more than double my KPI.

However, my new supervisor, whom recently came in, has been giving me a bad time, keep picking on me, like we were all still doing NS........scream at me in front of everyone, when the big boss not around.

darkstar 10-02-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48119)
Meaning that u left your first job for a second job which u didnt relly want...And is now taking another job which u relly dun want oso?

I left my first now serving notice...Like cant wait to hop into another.
But which is worse - appear like jobhopper? Or unemployed GAP in resume ..

Actually, I have not found my fourth job yet leh........luckily I got no children, no mortage and accumulated quite a bit of comfortable savings

Unregistered 10-02-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 48124)
My first job, I left, because I was passed over for promotion, by a bunch of juniors whom later bullied me. the boss asked me to stop, but I left.

The second job, I kenna bullied by the boss. Another senior colleague later told me that the boss felt threatened that i would perform better than the third boss.

My third and current job, I was doing quite well. I quite like my job, I feel very comfortable with it, and got one time, I received a $300 increment as i hit more than double my KPI.

However, my new supervisor, whom recently came in, has been giving me a bad time, keep picking on me, like we were all still doing NS........scream at me in front of everyone, when the big boss not around.

Hi Darkstar,

Could you share the duration of stay for each job?
My current oso scream at me when everyone ard twisting facts, and also behind closed door.

darkstar 10-02-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48127)
Hi Darkstar,

Could you share the duration of stay for each job?
My current oso scream at me when everyone ard twisting facts, and also behind closed door.

For 1st and 3rd job, it was 2 yrs, slightly more, actually.

For the 2nd job, just half a year.

For the 1st job, boss asked me to stay but I have no regrets leaving, the junior whom were promoted over me made snide remarks all the time.

2nd job, good that Io have left.

3rd job was really a waste, I truly loved the job, although the pay was not really good. But new guy keep picking on me, till i got mental health issues.

Unregistered 10-02-2014 09:55 PM

I quit without a job too last October due to unfavourable working environment (colleagues and superior). Still can't find a proper FT job until now. Just freelancing. Nowadays very hard to even get interviews!!! Anyone has a secret to clinching interviews?!?! :( Now a bit regret leaving my job just like that. Should have just llst continue working since pay is quite good. Haiz... I don't know how people can find jobs so fast!!!

dives 10-02-2014 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48138)
I quit without a job too last October due to unfavourable working environment (colleagues and superior). Still can't find a proper FT job until now. Just freelancing. Nowadays very hard to even get interviews!!! Anyone has a secret to clinching interviews?!?! :( Now a bit regret leaving my job just like that. Should have just llst continue working since pay is quite good. Haiz... I don't know how people can find jobs so fast!!!

Kind of depends on your job sector and type of companies you apply for, if you interview with MNCs I know some tricks that might help.

darkstar 10-02-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

is it okay if I ask what industry you are in, and which qualification you have and what was your previous post?What are you currently freelancing as?

I already went for 6 interviews, only 1 offered me a position but it has been 3 weeks and they still can't confirm the renumeration package with me yet!

At this rate, I may have to take up freelancing jobs as well!

Unregistered 11-02-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

How long were you in that job?
What type of freelance you work?

Unregistered 11-02-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dives (Post 48141)
Kind of depends on your job sector and type of companies you apply for, if you interview with MNCs I know some tricks that might help.

What tricks? Can share?

Unregistered 11-02-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 48143)
is it okay if I ask what industry you are in, and which qualification you have and what was your previous post?What are you currently freelancing as?

I already went for 6 interviews, only 1 offered me a position but it has been 3 weeks and they still can't confirm the renumeration package with me yet!

I went to three interviews since nov, no offer. Quitted and serving notice since end Jan..Without job

darkstar 11-02-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48154)
I went to three interviews since nov, no offer. Quitted and serving notice since end Jan..Without job

Don't worry, just keep applying. I also send out around 300 - 400 applications from last year Dec Christmas till now, got called up for 6 interviews, have another 2 more, got 1 offer, say they want to offer me the position, but still cannot confirm on the renumeration package.

Unregistered 19-02-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 48143)

Hello hello! Sorry long time didn't come into this forum. I was working as a diagnostic med tech in a restructured hospital for about 1.5 years. Now looking into pursuing a career in lab med. Have a BSc focusing on biochem so I'm slightly picky on the job I'm applying for. I'm initially quite hesitant to mass apply to jobs from other industries as 1) I believe in pursuing something that I am passionate about and 2) I prefer stable job and don't to job hop to gain more $. Very Gen Y I know lol... Lucky I got music background so, I'm freelancing as a childcare music teacher on an hourly basis now!

However, now I expanded my job search to the govt bodies now. Stable job ma, not too bad.

A lot of hospitals building up now but no one want my skills in lab?!?! Doesn't help that most hospitals need to apply through online. I think my resume don't know lost in the black hole... :(

What about you guys? What industry you guys in?

Unregistered 02-03-2014 02:45 AM

Jobless for 3 months. Female, 24.

Local uni grad.

Applied for more than 30 position with numerous local and global mnc.

None called.

Contemplating calling up RECRUIT EXPRESS for a $7 an hour job.

I_SERVED_NS 02-03-2014 02:09 PM

I'll probably be joining the jobless club soon.

Already prepared to do short term contract jobs and part time jobs to stay afloat for the time being.

I have gone through this phase once and I can share with jobless people here that it is unwise to not do anything while jobless. If need to, lower expectations a bit and earn the salary you want by proving your worth.

Take up available jobs for the time being to keep yourself occupied and to earn some moolah. As long as you put in sincere effort and hard work, it will not go unrecognised.

All the best guys :)

Unregistered 08-01-2015 08:23 PM

Hi all,

Would like to seek some opinions here. I'm thinking of quitting my current job which i've been holding for about 3 years. I have a kid and a car and calculated that i've more than 12 mths of savings.

Reason i'm thinking of quitting without securing a new job is becos of my horrible b*ss. These are some of the things i face:

Sometimes if there's work, i cannot go out for lunch (hv to get colleague to buy back for me and eat and work at the same time and my b*ss would continue to give me tasks even though he can see i'm eating)

I get called up to do work when i'm on leave or at night (when my wife was hospitalised once, he called me to do some work too. I was worried and angry already and he still asked me to do work even though he knows whats happening. I think i really threw away my dignity the fact that I didn't f him)

He tends to gives vague instructions and expects me to read his mind and do the proper way. As result i hv to go back and forth to correct my work and he seems to relish in it (i'm serious) And whenever I try to clarify with him, he'll either give me a very condescending look (like how come ya so stupid?) or he smile and say "something like that" ie never answer my qn

Sometimes he'll deliberately wait till knock off hours before he gives last min tasks to us to make us either stay back or as a result of the last min task or meeting, we have to cancel our own appointments. This is despite that we were very free during the day and he had to choose to do it at knock off hours.

I endured the above for a few years already. My pay is not bad and i'm expecting good bonus in a few mths' time but I really cannot tahan him already and am prepared to give up the bonus. My notice period is 3 mths. Been to 5-6 interviews for the past mths but haven't been able to secure a job.

Would you quit if you were me?

aspenx 08-01-2015 08:31 PM

You have already put up with it for a few years, why not put up with it just a little longer for the bonus if the situation haven't deteriorated?

You mentioned you have 12 months' savings, does it mean you have enough in savings to last 12 months at the current rate of expenditure? Can you forsee any spikes in your expenditure?

Personally, I would at least wait till I get the bonus if I were you. I don't know what you do and what experience and achievements you have, but I found that job searching isn't easy at all and the more buffer the better.

Unregistered 08-01-2015 08:56 PM

Your situation doesn't sound that bad. Wait until your get another job in hand. You are still young has many liabilities and commitment. For me, I quit without a job because I've settled many things. My kids are grown up, my condo loan paid up and I'm debt free. I also have passive income which was enough to cover my expenses. I had a choice whether to work or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61128)
Hi all,

Would like to seek some opinions here. I'm thinking of quitting my current job which i've been holding for about 3 years. I have a kid and a car and calculated that i've more than 12 mths of savings.

Reason i'm thinking of quitting without securing a new job is becos of my horrible b*ss. These are some of the things i face:

Sometimes if there's work, i cannot go out for lunch (hv to get colleague to buy back for me and eat and work at the same time and my b*ss would continue to give me tasks even though he can see i'm eating)

I get called up to do work when i'm on leave or at night (when my wife was hospitalised once, he called me to do some work too. I was worried and angry already and he still asked me to do work even though he knows whats happening. I think i really threw away my dignity the fact that I didn't f him)

He tends to gives vague instructions and expects me to read his mind and do the proper way. As result i hv to go back and forth to correct my work and he seems to relish in it (i'm serious) And whenever I try to clarify with him, he'll either give me a very condescending look (like how come ya so stupid?) or he smile and say "something like that" ie never answer my qn

Sometimes he'll deliberately wait till knock off hours before he gives last min tasks to us to make us either stay back or as a result of the last min task or meeting, we have to cancel our own appointments. This is despite that we were very free during the day and he had to choose to do it at knock off hours.

I endured the above for a few years already. My pay is not bad and i'm expecting good bonus in a few mths' time but I really cannot tahan him already and am prepared to give up the bonus. My notice period is 3 mths. Been to 5-6 interviews for the past mths but haven't been able to secure a job.

floralpeace 08-01-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

I gt into a new job. Seem like similar circumstances like u.
Neverending tasks piling up.
Get calls when on MC.
I hv alot of people to chase daily n if the person hv no resources to entertain me, my boss would say I'm nt proactive in managing work.
It's extremely fast paced here n kip getting chased daily n being shoot by ppl.
But I'm thinking to stay for one yr plus.
Im only 2 months here n my past job record abit like jobhopper.
This kinda job is everywhere one.......in fact my prev job might be better thn currently if I hv handled in better n more positively.
Dun quit without a job.
I dun put emotions or passion into my job anymore. Because that helps in kiping calm n sane at all times.
Hope it helps for you.
Just my 2 cents.

Unregistered 08-01-2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

You say you been to 5-6 interviews but no job offers? why is this so? Is it your expectations, your interview skills etc? You need to improve on that.

If you got liabilities, try get a job first. Stick around to get the bonus and then use this bonus to pay off the 3 months notice period if you kan bua tahan in the end.

Btw I believe you are in a senior manager role given that you need to give at least 3 mths notice period.

Anyway u can sell away ur call to cut costs if u decide to quit eventually. Anyway just stay positive that's the only advice I can give

Unregistered 08-01-2015 10:57 PM

Deliberating

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx (Post 61129)
You have already put up with it for a few years, why not put up with it just a little longer for the bonus if the situation haven't deteriorated?

You mentioned you have 12 months' savings, does it mean you have enough in savings to last 12 months at the current rate of expenditure? Can you forsee any spikes in your expenditure?

Personally, I would at least wait till I get the bonus if I were you. I don't know what you do and what experience and achievements you have, but I found that job searching isn't easy at all and the more buffer the better.

Hi, thks for sharing. Yup i meant i can survive for 12mths at least (but if unemployed for 3rd/4th mth i'll def take up contract jobs. I'll also cut back on my own expenses so shldn't hv spikes in expenditure

How you been unemployed before?

Unregistered 08-01-2015 11:05 PM

Deliberating

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61130)
Your situation doesn't sound that bad. Wait until your get another job in hand. You are still young has many liabilities and commitment. For me, I quit without a job because I've settled many things. My kids are grown up, my condo loan paid up and I'm debt free. I also have passive income which was enough to cover my expenses. I had a choice whether to work or not.

Hi, why do you say my situation doesn't sound that bad? Maybe you can share some of your experience with me on what is truly dire..? you must have seen a lot

Thanks

Unregistered 08-01-2015 11:24 PM

Deliberating

Quote:

Originally Posted by floralpeace (Post 61133)
I gt into a new job. Seem like similar circumstances like u.
Neverending tasks piling up.
Get calls when on MC.
I hv alot of people to chase daily n if the person hv no resources to entertain me, my boss would say I'm nt proactive in managing work.
It's extremely fast paced here n kip getting chased daily n being shoot by ppl.
But I'm thinking to stay for one yr plus.
Im only 2 months here n my past job record abit like jobhopper.
This kinda job is everywhere one.......in fact my prev job might be better thn currently if I hv handled in better n more positively.
Dun quit without a job.
I dun put emotions or passion into my job anymore. Because that helps in kiping calm n sane at all times.
Hope it helps for you.
Just my 2 cents.

Hi, thanks for sharing your story. You're the 3rd person to suggest me to stay put.

Switching from one unpleasant job to another unpleasant one is def one of the worse things that can happen..

Unregistered 08-01-2015 11:36 PM

Deliberating

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61139)
You say you been to 5-6 interviews but no job offers? why is this so? Is it your expectations, your interview skills etc? You need to improve on that.

If you got liabilities, try get a job first. Stick around to get the bonus and then use this bonus to pay off the 3 months notice period if you kan bua tahan in the end.

Btw I believe you are in a senior manager role given that you need to give at least 3 mths notice period.

Anyway u can sell away ur call to cut costs if u decide to quit eventually. Anyway just stay positive that's the only advice I can give

Hi, i'm not sure either, maybe becos there's too much competition. All the jobs were applied via job ads and not through referrals. So basically im competing with 100-200 other ppl each time for 1 position. Im in finance btw..early thirties not senior manager, quite common for 3mths notice in this sector

i already buay tahan you still ask me to endure till i "kan bua tahan"..haha

I was thinking quitting wld allow me to shorten my notice period as i continue my job search (some employers dun like to wait too long), plus maybe test out some business idea during the 1-2 mths when im free. Downside is i may get a paycut if i don't have the luxury to wait for too long

I guess i won't throw letter unless it's spur of the moment