Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   quit without job (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3521-quit-without-job.html)

Unregistered 15-06-2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68265)
Its your choice in your earlier years. i heard of a friend in his mid 40s who hates his job so much that he every night drown himself in free alcohol from friends. Reason, he needs the salary to pay maintenance fee for ex spouse & kids. on top of that, he has lost his flat. He pays his parents rental, but his parents very old and still need to work n keep the savings for him. if he loses his job, he will be a goner. he can't even save, can't even choose his life or choose his career. all he knows is, salary in, then pay n pay till the day he dies.

He is suffering from depression sooner or later. You have to advise him appropriately. Who say you need money to enjoy yourself. He can choose his life if he wants to. Don't ask me how. Just look at people who are struggling initially but succeed later in later.

Unregistered 15-06-2015 07:18 PM

Anyone get terminated during probation due to discrepancy in your job resume ? Mine is not government job. It is a private company. I just get terminated cos my company made reference to my previous employers and for some reason, maybe they ask about my position, duration, or work performance. haizzz...

Unregistered 15-06-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68302)
Anyone get terminated during probation due to discrepancy in your job resume ? Mine is not government job. It is a private company. I just get terminated cos my company made reference to my previous employers and for some reason, maybe they ask about my position, duration, or work performance. haizzz...

Lying is a very bad idea. Hope you learned a lesson.

Unregistered 15-06-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Aiyo notti boi why you lie?

Unregistered 16-06-2015 12:50 AM

Quote:

In my case I was fired. Was an audit director with a well known worldwide brand. I played dirty politics and always max the budget so now I'm paying my dues. I'm 45 this year and I have been jobless for a while. What's making things worse is that I have been with more than 10 companies in my 20 year career history and I always get asked if I'm a job hopper in past interviews....

I'm depressed but I cannot blame anyone but myself for being such a stupid bxxxx ....

Unregistered 16-06-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68334)
In my case I was fired. Was an audit director with a well known worldwide brand. I played dirty politics and always max the budget so now I'm paying my dues. I'm 45 this year and I have been jobless for a while. What's making things worse is that I have been with more than 10 companies in my 20 year career history and I always get asked if I'm a job hopper in past interviews....

I'm depressed but I cannot blame anyone but myself for being such a stupid bxxxx ....

Not saying that what you are doing is right. But just wondering, when people change jobs, where they actually THAT truthful or not? If companies are not honest about themselves too, then why bother. Of course not saying you can start lying about big things. But there is a difference between being shrewd and being real stupid.

Unregistered 16-06-2015 12:57 PM

There are some things that can be embellished, and some things that can't. Things like length of service, pay package, are clear cut NO as they are easily verified with your previous company. Things like what you did are more grey - you can play a small role in a team handling a big deal, but when you tell people you were involved in a multi million dollar deal, that's still true. Up to you how you want to tell your story.

Unregistered 17-06-2015 09:18 AM

Anyone regret tendering resignation ? I just threw my resignation letter last week but have second thoughts now. I have signed the employment letter from the new company. But there are things in my current job that is more attractive than the new company. eg. I can knock off on time but in the new company I have to work overtime.

Can I take back my resignation letter? What will happen if I take back my resignation letter?

Unregistered 17-06-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68461)
Anyone regret tendering resignation ? I just threw my resignation letter last week but have second thoughts now. I have signed the employment letter from the new company. But there are things in my current job that is more attractive than the new company. eg. I can knock off on time but in the new company I have to work overtime.

Can I take back my resignation letter? What will happen if I take back my resignation letter?

I think you can take back your resignation letter but just bear in mind that they could have already source for the next candidate.. also they confirm blacklisted u liao cuz they cannot confirm when is ur next letter gonna be thrown..

Unregistered 17-06-2015 10:13 AM

What if you already signed the employment letter but decided not to join ? What issues will there be if haven't start work ?

Unregistered 17-06-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68468)
What if you already signed the employment letter but decided not to join ? What issues will there be if haven't start work ?

have to see what is written in the employment letter.. if the company allows you before the stipulated start date to quit and just need to inform them.. u need not worry..

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-pra...on-with-notice

Unregistered 17-06-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68476)
have to see what is written in the employment letter.. if the company allows you before the stipulated start date to quit and just need to inform them.. u need not worry..

[http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-pra...on-with-notice[/

But I haven't start work yet leh. So not effective yet right?

Unregistered 17-06-2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68483)
But I haven't start work yet leh. So not effective yet right?

but problem is u sign already leh.. or call the HR and ask..

Unregistered 18-06-2015 02:28 PM

If no business card is given, is that a good sign?

I thought the interview was going quite well during the first/second round, then when subsequent interviewers (another 3 more came in), they didn't pass me their business card. Was more of an informal chat rather than asking me detailed questions. I don't know if that's a good sign, but I don't have a good feeling about it when they just entered without a business card. Although the initial lady assured me that's just their style or something. I was told to do a write up about how I feel and provide references and if I'm successful, I will be called down the next day.

But I don't feel like providing my references unnecessarily unless I can be assured I have the job, I don't think it's nice to continue and drag on. So I'm thinking of writing back to the hiring lady that I would like to know what's the feedback like before we proceed and I appreciate them being candid with me so I can move on if I'm not suitable.

Does that sound alright? What do you guys think?

Unregistered 20-06-2015 01:11 AM

I quitted in mid-2013 to put my focus on my master's degree. I was working as a primary school contract teacher then because I wasn't too keen to teach primary school anyway since I was a science major and the school didn't seem to want me to go NIE because they were understaffed and wanted to keep me. I started as a contract teacher in Jan 2012 and till the day I quitted, the principal still have not submitted my name to go for PGDE even though my RO assured me that it was not because I was lousy. I was naturally pissed but thankful at the same time otherwise I would have been bonded into a job I didn't really like in the first place.

Was suppose to teach Maths and science but ended up being a primary one form teacher. When I realised they made me a form teacher again for the second year with the intention to keep me another year, I know it was time to go.

Was jobless from mid 2013 to end of Jan 2014 but I was focusing on my master's at that time so it was not a big deal and then someone introduced me to a part time job in customer service till now which I am still currently working but hoping to leave soon as I just completed my master's degree in May.

Landed a job interview this coming Tuesday as a scientific officer in NUS which is my dream job based on the job scope. I really hope to get it because I feel I can learn many chemistry skills there. Nervous as hell actually now.

Unregistered 20-06-2015 07:32 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience and best of luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68697)
I quitted in mid-2013 to put my focus on my master's degree. I was working as a primary school contract teacher then because I wasn't too keen to teach primary school anyway since I was a science major and the school didn't seem to want me to go NIE because they were understaffed and wanted to keep me. I started as a contract teacher in Jan 2012 and till the day I quitted, the principal still have not submitted my name to go for PGDE even though my RO assured me that it was not because I was lousy. I was naturally pissed but thankful at the same time otherwise I would have been bonded into a job I didn't really like in the first place.

Was suppose to teach Maths and science but ended up being a primary one form teacher. When I realised they made me a form teacher again for the second year with the intention to keep me another year, I know it was time to go.

Was jobless from mid 2013 to end of Jan 2014 but I was focusing on my master's at that time so it was not a big deal and then someone introduced me to a part time job in customer service till now which I am still currently working but hoping to leave soon as I just completed my master's degree in May.

Landed a job interview this coming Tuesday as a scientific officer in NUS which is my dream job based on the job scope. I really hope to get it because I feel I can learn many chemistry skills there. Nervous as hell actually now.

Unregistered 20-06-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68609)
I thought the interview was going quite well during the first/second round, then when subsequent interviewers (another 3 more came in), they didn't pass me their business card. Was more of an informal chat rather than asking me detailed questions. I don't know if that's a good sign, but I don't have a good feeling about it when they just entered without a business card. Although the initial lady assured me that's just their style or something. I was told to do a write up about how I feel and provide references and if I'm successful, I will be called down the next day.

But I don't feel like providing my references unnecessarily unless I can be assured I have the job, I don't think it's nice to continue and drag on. So I'm thinking of writing back to the hiring lady that I would like to know what's the feedback like before we proceed and I appreciate them being candid with me so I can move on if I'm not suitable.

Unless you're not that keen on the job, or you feel you're a very strong/exceptional candidate for it such that you have more bargaining power than them, otherwise would advise you not to do what you described. Employers normally won't call your references unless they want to take you in already (it's def a sign they are interested in you or they won't waste time). If you refused to provide, it could backfire. Also, fyi, it's very normal for interviewers not to give out name cards.

Unregistered 22-06-2015 10:49 AM

All the best to you!

By the way, how did u end up being a contract teacher? And how to become one?

I am contemplating it as an option. I like children, so primary school is a natural choice. But unsure if I am suitable for teaching.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68697)

Unregistered 22-06-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68609)

What kind of job is that ? What a hassle. Unless you really like that job then maybe 'drag on' lo, if not, start sending resume until you get other interview. I also don't like to drag. Want to employ me or don't want employ me, it is so clear cut. What is all these style or not style.

Unregistered 22-06-2015 03:03 PM

Some of you really know how to act like diva when applying for a entry / mid junior job. They ask you to give reference you give, they ask you to wait & go for informal chat you go, they give you name card you take, no name card just carry on.

Come on, what's all this I don't like your style just tell me you want to give me a job or else don't waste my time attitude. Maybe if you are in some niche specialization where the company specially headhunt / beg you to join then show a bit of attitude is fine for salary negotiation. But for the majority of the jobs where you apply or some staffing agent / hr officer call you, displaying a diva attitude is just cutting the nose to spite your face.

Unregistered 22-06-2015 03:37 PM

Din have a good relationship with ex boss and no reference to give.
What should I do when interviewer ask for it?

Unregistered 22-06-2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68796)
Din have a good relationship with ex boss and no reference to give.
What should I do when interviewer ask for it?

Give either ex ex boss or get a colleague to help. Last time can fake ask your friend to wayang as boss, but now with social media very easy to get detected.

Unregistered 23-06-2015 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68798)
Give either ex ex boss or get a colleague to help. Last time can fake ask your friend to wayang as boss, but now with social media very easy to get detected.

My co was beaucratic and rigid, thus couldn't agree with boss.
I wonder if it's better to be honest to interviewer, than to get friend to pretend as boss?

Unregistered 24-06-2015 10:19 AM

This whole thing about reference check is so stupid and crap. What can you know about a person by just asking questions over the phone ? Some people are not outgoing and cannot 'curry favour' their boss to make the boss happy. Some people are extrovert enough to become the most popular person in that company. Some people are just quiet workers. Some bosses just don't like the look of you. What can reference check say about a person ? People change. Obviously they won't be the same compared to few years ago, as in work attitude, etc.

Unregistered 24-06-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68922)
This whole thing about reference check is so stupid and crap. What can you know about a person by just asking questions over the phone ? Some people are not outgoing and cannot 'curry favour' their boss to make the boss happy. Some people are extrovert enough to become the most popular person in that company. Some people are just quiet workers. Some bosses just don't like the look of you. What can reference check say about a person ? People change. Obviously they won't be the same compared to few years ago, as in work attitude, etc.

I beg to differ. Reference checks help filter bogus claims of applicants

Unregistered 24-06-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68924)
I beg to differ. Reference checks help filter bogus claims of applicants

Agreed, and if the applicant has a problem with current bosses and colleagues, I don't want him in my co!

Unregistered 24-06-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68922)

Yes some people can click with some people, some can't.
And to let the fate of your future lie in the hands of a reference is silly.
Some people can be fake to get reference, does it mean he/ she is a good worker? Or has good character?

Unregistered 24-06-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68928)
Some people can be fake to get reference, does it mean he/ she is a good worker? Or has good character?

There are some simple ways to do valid reference checks. Faking as an immediate superior of the applicant can be easily busted and applicant is deemed as dishonest candidate. Whereas the point of interpersonal skills I bet is a necessity of all if not most jobs. Who cares about who u like in your workplace? The responsibility is simple, work together not sleep or live together. Matured working adults will be able to handle it well.

Unregistered 24-06-2015 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68928)

Maybe you were once very hardworking and ON in your previous company but you become slack in the new environment. So even reference check, the old boss can praise you until like in heaven, but your work sux in the new environment. lol

Unregistered 24-06-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68929)
There are some simple ways to do valid reference checks. Faking as an immediate superior of the applicant can be easily busted and applicant is deemed as dishonest candidate. Whereas the point of interpersonal skills I bet is a necessity of all if not most jobs. Who cares about who u like in your workplace? The responsibility is simple, work together not sleep or live together. Matured working adults will be able to handle it well.

Yeah, the point of reference checks are to seek different opinions of the candidate before deciding if he or she can take up certain responsibilities needed in the job. That being said, a general bad comment from one former employer usually do no harm unless honesty is in concern.

Unregistered 24-06-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Too bad people don't think that way. When your boss/colleague don't like you and you have no choice but to put them as reference, better pray they don't bad mouth you. If you can click with your boss/colleagues, you have no worries putting them as reference, surely they will put in lots of good words about you. So it is not about who you like in the workplace, it is the other way round.

Unregistered 24-06-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Some people may think their responsibility is to work, not to curry favour or make people like them.

Unregistered 24-06-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68934)
Some people may think their responsibility is to work, not to curry favour or make people like them.

Yes, the point of reference checks are mainly on the relevant job related issues. If we have a bad relationship with a former boss can always bring it upfront but if a candidate claimed years of experience but totally no valid reference at all it would certainly be fishy

Unregistered 24-06-2015 01:55 PM

What if a person stops work for some time due to personal reasons / business ventures etc, does he need to provide reference should he rejoin the workforce?

Unregistered 24-06-2015 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68941)
What if a person stops work for some time due to personal reasons / business ventures etc, does he need to provide reference should he rejoin the workforce?

Unemployment will usually be seen as negative factor, you may wish to highlight the reason why you had to take the break. Eventually references are necessary for claims of prior experience in related field upon job application.

Unregistered 24-06-2015 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68947)
Unemployment will usually be seen as negative factor, you may wish to highlight the reason why you had to take the break. Eventually references are necessary for claims of prior experience in related field upon job application.

As for business ventures you can still list them as being business owner or a partner during the period accordingly

Unregistered 25-06-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68702)
Unless you're not that keen on the job, or you feel you're a very strong/exceptional candidate for it such that you have more bargaining power than them, otherwise would advise you not to do what you described. Employers normally won't call your references unless they want to take you in already (it's def a sign they are interested in you or they won't waste time). If you refused to provide, it could backfire. Also, fyi, it's very normal for interviewers not to give out name cards.

Hmm surprisingly I was given an offer, they said the feedback was positive. I did ask for feedback and did tell them my concerns about the namecard thing but was rest assured cos it's just their culture. So I probably overthink or that I was too used to receiving name cards.

I accepted the offer cos the pay was lucrative and I need the money but somehow there's still this gut feeling inside me, I don't know how accurate it can be but just feel something is weird/off. Met my reporting superior and the hiring manager for lunch today, non-work related topics, very casual and laidback. My superior even said there's no need for handshakes!

This is a UK firm (recruitment) btw and I'm just worried of the cultural misfit. Anyone else felt weird before they start work but ended up pretty fine in the company?

Unregistered 25-06-2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68792)
What kind of job is that ? What a hassle. Unless you really like that job then maybe 'drag on' lo, if not, start sending resume until you get other interview. I also don't like to drag. Want to employ me or don't want employ me, it is so clear cut. What is all these style or not style.

It's recruitment haha. They have a few rounds of interview though, and yeah it's always a cat and mouse game during interviews/waiting for offers right? But don't give up!

Unregistered 27-06-2015 08:58 PM

Hi,

I would to know few things when joining a new company from a previous company.

1) Reference check - How do the new HR determine whether the reference given by you is real or fake. Like for example, you are not on good terms with your manager but on good terms with your executive. Your executive became your referral check but is declared as your manager
2) When you go for an interview and the company requires your references, do they contact them or only after you had joined the new company ? What i am afraid if their HR itchy go call up my manager even before letter of offer has been signed.
3) You have an unemployment period gap of 3 months in between your old job A and current job B and now you wish to apply for a new job C. If since,its hard to explain why you quit your old job without a new job, you decided to add on 3 months of job experience in A, to hide your employment gap. So will the new company C, knows about it?
Eg :
Before
Company A from Jan - Jun, Company B Oct - Dec ( no job from july to Aug)
Now
Company A from Jan - Aug, Company B Oct - Dec

Thanks for reading and pls don't blast me for asking. I just wanna know the process. :)