Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   DBS Bank career advancement, starting from entry (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2197-dbs-bank-career-advancement-starting-entry.html)

Unregistered 03-10-2012 12:09 PM

Wtf

Quote:

Originally Posted by stockwiz (Post 28693)
Hi, I am thinking of joining DBS as a retail banking RM first then hopefully in few years time can move on to investment banking or treasury / trading side.

Anyone with experience to share on how to transfer once inside? What is the starting pay like for retail banking RM? I have a degree in statistics from NUS, 2nd lower and have a lot of passion and expert in stock trading (have been making average 5% every month since start of this year).

You can tan gu gu ah.
If you really zai in stock trading go apply to be Dealer lah.

Unregistered 03-10-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stockwiz (Post 28693)
Hi, I am thinking of joining DBS as a retail banking RM first then hopefully in few years time can move on to investment banking or treasury / trading side.

Anyone with experience to share on how to transfer once inside? What is the starting pay like for retail banking RM? I have a degree in statistics from NUS, 2nd lower and have a lot of passion and expert in stock trading (have been making average 5% every month since start of this year).

5% pm is 80% pa. If you are making this kind of money you wouldn't want to be a Cecilia Sue doing sales and asking stupid questions like how to move from RM to iB.

Unregistered 03-10-2012 02:31 PM

Lol.

But his question is also somewhat related to what I wanted to know. Which areas of bank will get you better chances to move to iB, such as institutional banking, consumer banking and risk management? And how many years of exp?

stockwhiz 03-10-2012 03:36 PM

I just want to know how fast on average it takes to move from consumer banking RM to trading / IB and what is the pay progression like.

If you guys have nothing to add, just keep quiet. Maybe for some of you cannot imagine how someone can make money from trading, but it works for me and I don't see the point wasting time trying to prove to you all.

Unregistered 03-10-2012 08:12 PM

don't you think it really depends on yourself?

from consumer group to front office roles
1) you're in their MA program which rotates you around
2) opportunity/vacancy opens up and you apply through internal network

there's no ball park figures for progression

but if you're a consumer group RM wouldn't joining private banking be better?
the skill set for these 2 group varies pretty widely

also if you're consistently making money off trading, wouldn't a hedge fund suit your specialty?

Unregistered 04-10-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stockwhiz (Post 28700)
I just want to know how fast on average it takes to move from consumer banking RM to trading / IB and what is the pay progression like.

If you guys have nothing to add, just keep quiet. Maybe for some of you cannot imagine how someone can make money from trading, but it works for me and I don't see the point wasting time trying to prove to you all.

almost impossible. you're asking the wrong question.

Unregistered 05-10-2012 03:58 PM

Hi, how to get into Corporate Finance, Merger & Aquisition (M&A)? What kind of experience are they looking for?

Unregistered 05-10-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28744)
Hi, how to get into Corporate Finance, Merger & Aquisition (M&A)? What kind of experience are they looking for?

Honestly they look for a pretty face and / or a top degree.

Unregistered 06-10-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28755)
Honestly they look for a pretty face and / or a top degree.

LOL! Corporate Finance does not require pretty face. Top degree does though.

Unregistered 06-10-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28767)
LOL! Corporate Finance does not require pretty face. Top degree does though.

A pretty face is always desirable.