Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2023-civil-svc-statboard-typical-timeline-making-hiring-decision.html)

Unregistered 09-09-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56154)
Within two weeks.

But if they want u, they will call within in 2 weeks right? Or less than that?

Unregistered 09-09-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56158)
But if they want u, they will call within in 2 weeks right? Or less than that?

Usually less.

Unregistered 09-09-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55990)
A stat board told me that I'm hired but I've to be signed through a recruitment agency due to headcount issues. Anyone have similar experiences? What does this mean? This means that the organisation I'm working for is the stat board or the recruitment agency? Thanks.

For this person's case, is it ok for him to put the stat board as the organisation he worked for in his resume? Or must he put recruitment agency?

Unregistered 09-09-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56160)
Usually less.

Ok thks anw. Think no chance liao.

Unregistered 10-09-2014 02:04 PM

just sharing. I just got accepted in a stat board.

-2 weeks for first interview after application
-shortlisted me for 2nd interview the following week
-2nd interview scheduled 3 weeks later, offered the following day
-3 weeks for medical and clearance

total time from application till start date is around 2.5 months. So yea pretty frustrating experience but the job seems to be worth it

and weirdly the only organizations which called me for interviews have separate portals from the careers@gov website (I have only applied govt jobs)

Unregistered 10-09-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56190)
just sharing. I just got accepted in a stat board.

-2 weeks for first interview after application
-shortlisted me for 2nd interview the following week
-2nd interview scheduled 3 weeks later, offered the following day
-3 weeks for medical and clearance

total time from application till start date is around 2.5 months. So yea pretty frustrating experience but the job seems to be worth it

and weirdly the only organizations which called me for interviews have separate portals from the careers@gov website (I have only applied govt jobs)

Which 1? Lta?

Unregistered 10-09-2014 04:23 PM

How long would you guys wait to apply for a position in the same ministry/sb if you were rejected by them after an interview before?

Also, is it wise to apply for multiple positions in the same ministry/sb concurrently? i was thinking this might increase a candidate's chances but at the same time HR might think you're just spamming applications without truly being interested.

Unregistered 10-09-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56198)
How long would you guys wait to apply for a position in the same ministry/sb if you were rejected by them after an interview before?

Also, is it wise to apply for multiple positions in the same ministry/sb concurrently? i was thinking this might increase a candidate's chances but at the same time HR might think you're just spamming applications without truly being interested.

Hmmm usually I will just apply shortly if I get rejected.

You can apply multiple positions within the same agencies, no harm trying. But you need to know that, they will only consider one position at a time. Meaning if you apply for 3 positions, they will consider only one, the other two is put on hold.

Unregistered 10-09-2014 05:41 PM

anybody got oral offer from ministry/stat board then later was told offer on hold? if did, what eventually happened?

thanks!

Unregistered 11-09-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollbread (Post 56016)
It's not uncommon for stat board to have headcount cap so didn't hire new staff. One of the poly actually outsource to a company to manage part of the building and staff. So the staff are employed under the agency and not poly itself. Btw, poly is considered as a stat board too.

If it is a headcount issue then most probably u will not be employed under the stat board, instead u will be employed under the agency. Usually the agency is on contract with the stat board to manage the staff, so meaning you 'might' be on contract basis with the agency too.

Hi all, would like to seek advice. In this case, will it be ok if I write the stat board as my employer in my resume in future? Just find it weird to write recruitment agency when the job I'm doing is under stat board.

rollbread 11-09-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56218)
Hi all, would like to seek advice. In this case, will it be ok if I write the stat board as my employer in my resume in future? Just find it weird to write recruitment agency when the job I'm doing is under stat board.

Nope, have to write the agency name. They will definitely and confirm check on the records, if they can't find your name in the system they will ask for your pay slip to keep as record.

By then if you don't have the payslip or even worse they found out that you are lying, they might blacklist you in their organization.

Probably you can check with them to confirm first. Confirm with them whether you are employed under them or under the agency.

Unregistered 12-09-2014 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollbread (Post 56243)
Nope, have to write the agency name. They will definitely and confirm check on the records, if they can't find your name in the system they will ask for your pay slip to keep as record.

By then if you don't have the payslip or even worse they found out that you are lying, they might blacklist you in their organization.

Probably you can check with them to confirm first. Confirm with them whether you are employed under them or under the agency.

For application form, write the agency name

For resume, make it a way that beautify your resume. For e.g in employment history, you can put

" Project manager
Employer: Recruit Express Workplace: Ministry of Transport
Job scopes & responsibilities: ….. "

You can always explain your situation to the interviewers if you are selected.

Unregistered 13-09-2014 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56247)
For application form, write the agency name

For resume, make it a way that beautify your resume. For e.g in employment history, you can put

" Project manager
Employer: Recruit Express Workplace: Ministry of Transport
Job scopes & responsibilities: ….. "

You can always explain your situation to the interviewers if you are selected.

Thanks for ur advice. First time meeting such a situation.

Unregistered 17-09-2014 04:29 PM

Some government organisations are seriously terrible. Gave me a verbal offer, then now tell me position put on hold. Fed up to the max.

Unregistered 17-09-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56545)
Some government organisations are seriously terrible. Gave me a verbal offer, then now tell me position put on hold. Fed up to the max.

if you are currently employed, i certainly hope you didn't tender yet. never tender till you sign the new emlpoyment contract. even then, either party can still "retract".

if you didn't tender, then it isn't so bad, unless you turned down another offer.

in3deep 17-09-2014 06:50 PM

KNS man!

call HR on Monday and today, but never receive call back

dunno whether out of office on leave or avoiding me

:mad:

Unregistered 17-09-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 56555)
KNS man!

call HR on Monday and today, but never receive call back

dunno whether out of office on leave or avoiding me

Bro, is it for the position that was placed on hold then the organisation say want to interview more candidates?

My verbal offer put on hold. I'm angry too.

in3deep 17-09-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56557)
Bro, is it for the position that was placed on hold then the organisation say want to interview more candidates?

My verbal offer put on hold. I'm angry too.

Yes thats the one!

Supposed to call back last week but until now no call

Call the phone also no one picking up

Sibei sian!

Unregistered 17-09-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 56559)
Yes thats the one!

Supposed to call back last week but until now no call

Call the phone also no one picking up

Sibei sian!

I don't wanna jinx u but always be prepared to have backup plans.

I was given a verbal offer and I thought I'm more or less secured. Now company says position put on hold. Seriously stupid.

Unregistered 18-09-2014 08:14 AM

Wondering if anyone has encountered similar situations before. Please advise.

I waited very long for the outcome of my interview and then got a verbal offer. Now the organisation wants me to go down for interview for another position. What does this means?

Unregistered 18-09-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56581)
Wondering if anyone has encountered similar situations before. Please advise.

I waited very long for the outcome of my interview and then got a verbal offer. Now the organisation wants me to go down for interview for another position. What does this means?

At least they are being honest. For my case, i was told by the Ministry that due to some reorg in the structure, i would be posted to another department within my first week of work. Now im essentially doing a completely different set of job scopes from what were conveyed and specified to me during the interview process. And i'm thinking of resigning because i have totally no interest not to mention the aptitude required to do this job well

Unregistered 18-09-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56592)
At least they are being honest. For my case, i was told by the Ministry that due to some reorg in the structure, i would be posted to another department within my first week of work. Now im essentially doing a completely different set of job scopes from what were conveyed and specified to me during the interview process. And i'm thinking of resigning because i have totally no interest not to mention the aptitude required to do this job well

Honest in what ways? Now I don't even know if my verbal offer for the job which I went for interview for previously still hold.

Did the Ministry even ask u if u are alright to try out the other department? I'm quite surprised that such things can occur in government agencies.

Unregistered 29-09-2014 02:38 PM

Hi all.. Just seeking for advice. I got a job offer from a stat board. But they told me that I'm parked under a recruitment agency's headcount. So my salary and benefits are all given by the recruitment agency. Is this good or bad? Anyone has similar experience to share?

Unregistered 29-09-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57019)
Hi all.. Just seeking for advice. I got a job offer from a stat board. But they told me that I'm parked under a recruitment agency's headcount. So my salary and benefits are all given by the recruitment agency. Is this good or bad? Anyone has similar experience to share?

Havent heard of this arrangement before, but will be useful to find out the difference in salary and benefits, and hear from both the SB HR, and from the recruitment agency. If the difference is significant and you are not satisfied, you can ask for an improved offer. (Also depends how desperate you are for the job)

Unregistered 29-09-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57020)
Havent heard of this arrangement before, but will be useful to find out the difference in salary and benefits, and hear from both the SB HR, and from the recruitment agency. If the difference is significant and you are not satisfied, you can ask for an improved offer. (Also depends how desperate you are for the job)

Thanks for ur reply. I'm keen on the job but the benefits are not as attractive as being under the stat board itself. How to ask for an improved job offer?

Unregistered 29-09-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57023)
Thanks for ur reply. I'm keen on the job but the benefits are not as attractive as being under the stat board itself. How to ask for an improved job offer?

U can try to ask if the recruitment firm could improve the benefits to match the SB more closely, though i think it will be a long shot. If u like the job and the difference isnt significant, i say take it first and hopefully they will promote you soon with improved benefits.

Unregistered 29-09-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollbread (Post 56243)

I asked the HR with regards to this situation. HR said still put the name of the stat board as my employer in my resume.

Unregistered 29-09-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57026)
U can try to ask if the recruitment firm could improve the benefits to match the SB more closely, though i think it will be a long shot. If u like the job and the difference isnt significant, i say take it first and hopefully they will promote you soon with improved benefits.

Thanks for ur advice. :)

Unregistered 30-09-2014 04:00 PM

Hi everyone,

Just curious, I received a call that they will be proceeding with my application after the interview. A few days later i received a mailer with information to go for medical checkup.

I since completed the medical checkup last week.. Can anyone advise me what to do next?

Much appreciated!

Unregistered 30-09-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57104)
Hi everyone,

Just curious, I received a call that they will be proceeding with my application after the interview. A few days later i received a mailer with information to go for medical checkup.

I since completed the medical checkup last week.. Can anyone advise me what to do next?

Much appreciated!

Just wait for them to inform you the outcome of the medical check up. Should take 1-2 weeks.

Unregistered 09-10-2014 04:33 PM

Caught up with an ex staff recently for whom I have helped to complete a referee questionnaire from a SB some weeks ago. She updated that she was eventually not even offered the role. Given that the survey that I have done was quite comprehensive, shouldn't the org have proceed with these checks only if they are quite certain abt a particular candidate? This is not the usual sequence of events that I have encountered for private sector recruitments. Wonder if others can share their experience.

I am expecting another reference check email from a Govt agency..abit sian to do it if I'm not certain its gonna be helpful

Unregistered 10-10-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanki (Post 54705)
anyone knows what's the typical hiring decision at AGC, organ's of state?
understood that job advertisement is still on-going though i have done with my 1st interview exactly a week ago.

Not sure how i stand since prior the interview consists of a written test before the interview commences. Was told by interviewers that decisions will be made within 2 weeks or if a 2nd interview is required.

Kind of worried, hopefully i can nail this.
As the previous few interviews with other firms aren't successful as well.

I have gone for intv at agc 2 weeks ago. Just an entry level so I guess only 1 round intv. After the intv on the day itself, they called me to confirm my final asking salary. Next day, they email and ask me to confirm in black and white on my asking salary. They also ask me
To fill up G50 clearance form and asked to speak to my character referee. My character referee has already completed the character reference check and send back to them. i also
Completed the G50 clearance form and handed it personally to HR person at the office. She then verbally told me in person that they are currently putting up mgt's approval and will take 1-2 weeks before she give me a call to inform if I'm selected for the position.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Unregistered 10-10-2014 08:11 PM

is it possible for a stat board/ministry to put job ad on the Careers@gov for the fun of it (or watever other reason) without any actual need for candidates? Or am i applying too early (graduating next year may)?

I applied for one of the position on 8 Oct and the status has now changed to 'kept for reference'... and it is not even the application deadline yet. I am quite surprised as im expecting a first class hons (CAP safely in the range), has a more than relevant deg (is a rather specialized role and i have a second major that complement wat the position entails), relevant internship experience... and it did not indicate how many years of exp preferred, so it sld be an entry level position. i was expecting an interview at least.

Unregistered 10-10-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57567)
is it possible for a stat board/ministry to put job ad on the Careers@gov for the fun of it (or watever other reason) without any actual need for candidates? Or am i applying too early (graduating next year may)?

I applied for one of the position on 8 Oct and the status has now changed to 'kept for reference'... and it is not even the application deadline yet. I am quite surprised as im expecting a first class hons (CAP safely in the range), has a more than relevant deg (is a rather specialized role and i have a second major that complement wat the position entails), relevant internship experience... and it did not indicate how many years of exp preferred, so it sld be an entry level position. i was expecting an interview at least.

Frankly you r the typical kiasu singaporean, the same kind who queue overnight just to buy an iphone 6. Youre only going to graduate next may, and you're applying 7 months ahead. Usually when they put a job posting up they are hoping to fill in 2~3 months. So what if they interview you, u wont be able to start work anytime soon. Might as well not waste their time interviewing you.

You can consider finding one when you are about to sit for ur final sem exams. Or try those management trainee programs that just started to look for next year's graduates

Unregistered 10-10-2014 10:07 PM

Coat taxtomrn

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57568)
Frankly you r the typical kiasu singaporean, the same kind who queue overnight just to buy an iphone 6. Youre only going to graduate next may, and you're applying 7 months ahead. Usually when they put a job posting up they are hoping to fill in 2~3 months. So what if they interview you, u wont be able to start work anytime soon. Might as well not waste their time interviewing you.

You can consider finding one when you are about to sit for ur final sem exams. Or try those management trainee programs that just started to look for next year's graduates

Really? i have been attending interviews from other ministries, n im not the only one doing that. one of my senior from 2 years ago applied for the same position from the same dept ard this period and got the offer eventually (tho he declined).

Unregistered 14-10-2014 11:52 AM

pay package

Any idea when you will be informed of your pay package?

Do you ask during the interview/site visit or is it only after you decide to take up the offer that they will reveal your pay package?

Unregistered 14-10-2014 01:53 PM

I've applied for many positions via careers.gov and while the status of some applications have changed to 'in process' I haven't got any calls from any HR for interviews or written tests for a week to a few weeks.

Is it really 'in process' or should I just give up hope?

Unregistered 14-10-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57682)
I've applied for many positions via careers.gov and while the status of some applications have changed to 'in process' I haven't got any calls from any HR for interviews or written tests for a week to a few weeks.

Is it really 'in process' or should I just give up hope?

Rule of thumb: if they do not get back to you within 1 month from date of closing, it means you are not likely to be shortlisted for interview. Usually if shortlisted, the status will change to "shortlisted".

in3deep 09-12-2014 07:50 PM

Time to uppzzzzzzz this thread

Now at the painful part of the process again

Finished 2nd intw but dunno outcome.. As each day passes, your mind find reasons to become more upset

mangos47 09-12-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57555)
I have gone for intv at agc 2 weeks ago. Just an entry level so I guess only 1 round intv. After the intv on the day itself, they called me to confirm my final asking salary. Next day, they email and ask me to confirm in black and white on my asking salary. They also ask me
To fill up G50 clearance form and asked to speak to my character referee. My character referee has already completed the character reference check and send back to them. i also
Completed the G50 clearance form and handed it personally to HR person at the office. She then verbally told me in person that they are currently putting up mgt's approval and will take 1-2 weeks before she give me a call to inform if I'm selected for the position.

Keeping fingers crossed.

I've had very similar experience to yours, and I was even offered a detailed package through the phone and was pushed to acknowledge my acceptance through email (sort of black and white). But 2 weeks later when I called in to check the status, was told the offer is on hold due to waiting senior management approval. And now 2 months has passed and I've decided it's not gonna happen and am looking for other opportunities.

I have another very close one recently and are now waiting for them to "working on a package". Hopefully I don't score the same sh*t twice in a row.