Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Service Merit Increment 2012 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1821-civil-service-merit-increment-2012-a.html)

shaz 31-03-2012 10:31 PM

Civil Service Merit Increment 2012

YaY! Pac@Gov just updated current salary.

MX11 (promoted in 2011), C+, 5.7% salary increase. Good year, especially with salary revision in Feb :)

Unregistered 01-04-2012 06:05 AM

MX11 for 2 years now. Got B for performance bonus. Got a 8.8% MI (relative to the recent salary adjustment).

Unregistered 01-04-2012 10:33 AM

Hi, how do you guys know about MI? It wont be out till June right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaz (Post 23126)
YaY! Pac@Gov just updated current salary.

MX11 (promoted in 2011), C+, 5.7% salary increase. Good year, especially with salary revision in Feb :)

Bean 01-04-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23135)
MX11 for 2 years now. Got B for performance bonus. Got a 8.8% MI (relative to the recent salary adjustment).

wah a 8.8% annual increment for B:eek:?!

my st engineering, even for 'A' grader promotion, the promotion increment is max 8%:(

like that mean you get abt 400 - 500 increment...wtf!!!! I need to work 3 years to get a TOTAL of 400-500 increment -_-"

cslee 01-04-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23145)

my st engineering, even for 'A' grader promotion, the promotion increment is max 8%:(

like that mean you get abt 400 - 500 increment...wtf!!!! I need to work 3 years to get a TOTAL of 400-500 increment -_-"

Then why are you still with ST and don't join civil service?

Bean 01-04-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 23154)
Then why are you still with ST and don't join civil service?

i have been applying but no new!!!:(

Unregistered 01-04-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23138)
Hi, how do you guys know about MI? It wont be out till June right?

dunno if it applies to other schemes. But those on MXS scheme can check on PacGov (salary scale option) from 1 Apr because our annual MI comes in Apr. Most ppl dunno this and they think the time they will know how much MI they get is on 12 Apr when they get their $ banked into their accounts.

shaz 01-04-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23145)

my salary has doubled after 6 years of work. Join civil service and be a slave to the people!!! LoL!!!

cslee 01-04-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23156)

Use your network or your network's networks. STE has lots of connection to various ministries, esp MINDEF, MHA etc

Unregistered 01-04-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaz (Post 23159)
my salary has doubled after 6 years of work. Join civil service and be a slave to the people!!! LoL!!!

Hi can share how much u are getting now after 6 yrs from graduation?
Also how much was your salary adjustment and increment?

Thanks!

Unregistered 01-04-2012 06:49 PM

That means you are not good enough for civil service... Guess you just have to continue to rot in STE!!! ha, ha...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23156)

Bean 01-04-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23163)
That means you are not good enough for civil service... Guess you just have to continue to rot in STE!!! ha, ha...

NTU 2nd lower engineering should be OK lei:(

Unregistered 02-04-2012 01:16 AM

How much are you earning Bean? 4 to 5k?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23168)
NTU 2nd lower engineering should be OK lei:(

Bean 02-04-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23183)
How much are you earning Bean? 4 to 5k?

close to 5 year exp with 1 promotion since fresh grad,
$38XX by july...

Really CMI:(

Unregistered 02-04-2012 06:16 PM

Hi Bean,

From your remarks, it seems that Ministries pay better than Stat boards? How do SB like WDA rank then?

My apologies if this is a repeat somewhere....

Also, are you assistant director or principal manager level already?

Hang in there, govt usually take a long time to filter thru candidates....

Regards

Bean 02-04-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23228)
Hi Bean,

From your remarks, it seems that Ministries pay better than Stat boards? How do SB like WDA rank then?

My apologies if this is a repeat somewhere....

Also, are you assistant director or principal manager level already?

Hang in there, govt usually take a long time to filter thru candidates....

Regards

sorry I am from GLC!!! ST engineering!!! I got only 5 years exp as an engineer!!

Of course in ministry, the increment is 2-3x better than ST...even my batch with just a PASS degree, already getting 4.5-4.9k in ministry...better than me a 2nd lower not even hitting 3.9k

shaz 02-04-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23234)
sorry I am from GLC!!! ST engineering!!! I got only 5 years exp as an engineer!!

Of course in ministry, the increment is 2-3x better than ST...even my batch with just a PASS degree, already getting 4.5-4.9k in ministry...better than me a 2nd lower not even hitting 3.9k

I have a friend who works in ST aerospace whose basic is low but earn lots from doing overtime... Have you included that in your pay package?

Although Civil Servants contractually work a minimum of 42.5 hours a week, we could easily clock 50-60 hours during busy periods with no overtime pay... so the bonus and increments we get help to negate the lack of OT pay.

Bean 02-04-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaz (Post 23236)
I have a friend who works in ST aerospace whose basic is low but earn lots from doing overtime... Have you included that in your pay package?

Although Civil Servants contractually work a minimum of 42.5 hours a week, we could easily clock 50-60 hours during busy periods with no overtime pay... so the bonus and increments we get help to negate the lack of OT pay.

As far as I know, degree holder executive/engineer are NOT being pay OT...except those LAE(License Aircraft Engineer, for both poly/degree, need to sign 8 years of bonds)..their basic is much lower but can clock OT pay or they work in shift got shift allowance...etc...

I belong to the degree holder executive/engineer group which are NOT being pay OT when doing OT.

The main point is that the increment is sux ST, be it annual increment of promotion increment!!!! Base on my current salary I can only hit 5k when I have been in the company for 11 years since fresh grad (with total 3 promotion)...when I am 36 age...:(

those guy working in ministry since fresh grad would be at least on MX11 with an average performer , getting at least 6k.., those good one can hit 7-9k by then......

some of my batch of friends with ministry , same 5 years exp are getting high 4k or low 5k now, on average 16-17 month annual package!!!

I am also getting 16-17 month annual package by the way!!!

Unregistered 02-04-2012 11:17 PM

MX12
B
6.1% MI relative to salary after adjustment

Unregistered 03-04-2012 10:55 AM

You have been bitching about STE for the longest time in this forum just like Miwashi on NEA.

So unhappy, then go off lar, what's the point lambasting your employer online all the time?

If you tried and nobody else willing to offer you a higher pay, it is also indicates that the market has assesed your competency and determined that you are not worth as much as you think you are. In that case, just be happy that STE is giving you stable employment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23242)
As far as I know, degree holder executive/engineer are NOT being pay OT...except those LAE(License Aircraft Engineer, for both poly/degree, need to sign 8 years of bonds)..their basic is much lower but can clock OT pay or they work in shift got shift allowance...etc...

I belong to the degree holder executive/engineer group which are NOT being pay OT when doing OT.

The main point is that the increment is sux ST, be it annual increment of promotion increment!!!! Base on my current salary I can only hit 5k when I have been in the company for 11 years since fresh grad (with total 3 promotion)...when I am 36 age...:(

those guy working in ministry since fresh grad would be at least on MX11 with an average performer , getting at least 6k.., those good one can hit 7-9k by then......

some of my batch of friends with ministry , same 5 years exp are getting high 4k or low 5k now, on average 16-17 month annual package!!!

I am also getting 16-17 month annual package by the way!!!

Unregistered 03-04-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23254)
You have been bitching about STE for the longest time in this forum just like Miwashi on NEA.

So unhappy, then go off lar, what's the point lambasting your employer online all the time?

If you tried and nobody else willing to offer you a higher pay, it is also indicates that the market has assesed your competency and determined that you are not worth as much as you think you are. In that case, just be happy that STE is giving you stable employment.

Although lucks play a part, I think it is more of a chicken and egg issue. Most employers hiring new staff will look at the candidates' past career development and last drawn pay. Therefore, when he sees someone with slow progression over the years in the same company, he will find it hard to offer a significantly higher salary and position. He tends to deduce that the person must be a below average performer. Therefore, the longer the person stays in the same company, the more difficult it will be for him to get a much better job. Moreover, over time this person who was once so motivated and driven will become so demoralised that he will start to become a poor performer.

Unregistered 04-04-2012 08:37 AM

I have been MX 12 since 2009 to current.
My MI for this year (6.2%) in absolute figure is higher than MX12 with B grade and MX11 with C grade.
My PB has been C since 2009.
Is it due to CEP for my high MI as compared to other MX12?

shaz 04-04-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23285)
My MI for this year (6.2%) in absolute figure is higher than MX12 with B grade and MX11 with C grade.

CEP has got nothing to with MI/PB. It is possible for the MI of MX12 in a Ministry to be different from MX12 in a Stat Board.

Unregistered 04-04-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaz (Post 23311)
CEP has got nothing to with MI/PB. It is possible for the MI of MX12 in a Ministry to be different from MX12 in a Stat Board.

what does CEP affect in that case? or what is the use of the CEp then?

are MSOs rated lower CEPs?

shaz 06-04-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23315)
what does CEP affect in that case? or what is the use of the CEp then?

are MSOs rated lower CEPs?

CEP is somewhat complex to explain as it involves many factors.I'll try my best to explain it anyway:

CEP is what management expects of you when you reach retirement age. If an officer starts work at entry-level MSO Grade V at the age of 24, the officer's CEP would usually be 2 grades higher... meaning, the officer will reach MSO Grade III at retirement age. CEP remains largely the same unless officer displays outstanding potential in the course of his work.

MSO, being a Division 2 officer would be graded with other MSOs within the same Division and grade... ranking of CEP is done AFTER ranking officer's grade... Here's an example:

Step 1: Management looks at 3 reportees' profile. Ignore CEP for now.
Officer A: Age 26, MSO Grade V, super on the ball, involved in many projects
Officer B: Age 40, MSO Grade VI, efficient, +ve attitude, involved in few projects
Officer C: Age 55, MSO Grade VI, efficient, bocap attitude, did not involve in projects

Step 2: Management ranks officers according to performance grade
MSO Grade V:
Officer A only, rank #1, grade B

MSO Grade IV:
Officer B, rank #1, grade B
Officer C, rank #2, grade C-

Step 3: Management rank officers' CEP. Ignore Grade
Officer A: Age 26, MSO Grade V, CEP given: MSO Grade III
Officer B: Age 40, MSO Grade VI, CEP given: MSO Grade II
Officer C: Age 55, MSO Grade VI, CEP given: MSO Grade III

Step 4: Management ranks officers' CEP.
Rank 1: Officer B: Age 40, MSO Grade VI, CEP given: MSO Grade II
Rank 2: Officer A: Age 26, MSO Grade V, CEP given: MSO Grade III
Rank 3: Officer C: Age 55, MSO Grade VI, CEP given: MSO Grade III

If there is a situation when officers are of the same age-band, same grade, same work abilities... then we'll use their earlier performance grading to rank them for CEP...if they have the same performance grade, then we just toss a coin... lol...

DONE!!! Imagine when you have 200 officers... this ranking exercise can be a nightmare and could take several days to complete... do note that CEP is kept secret from the officer. For MX Scholars, they typically have a CEP of Superscale H or MX9 when they're at MX13, MX12, MX11. When they reach MX10, their CEP may be adjusted to Superscale G or higher depending on his age and abilities...

At the end of the day, pray hard that your boss fights for you during ranking exercise

Unregistered 06-04-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23285)

I have entered MX scheme as a 12 so does that mean that my CEP Is MX10 and higher than those who entered the MX scheme as 13?

shaz 06-04-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23381)
I have entered MX scheme as a 12 so does that mean that my CEP Is MX10 and higher than those who entered the MX scheme as 13?

Maybe... Management look at several factors before they can give you a CEP. If you're so-so performer, and there're many other MXOs in your unit, your CEP could be MX11 for a start and then get upgraded later if you prove otherwise.

Bean 06-04-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23381)

you mean when you 1st join the ministry since fresh degree grad, you are being offer as a MX12??? not MX13??

Do you have any previous working exp?

cslee 06-04-2012 01:32 PM

Just put simply, build up an excellent working relationship with your boss to get noticed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaz (Post 23372)
CEP is somewhat complex to explain as it involves many factors.I'll try my best to explain it anyway:

CEP is what management expects of you when you reach retirement age. If an officer starts work at entry-level MSO Grade V at the age of 24, the officer's CEP would usually be 2 grades higher... meaning, the officer will reach MSO Grade III at retirement age. CEP remains largely the same unless officer displays outstanding potential in the course of his work.

MSO, being a Division 2 officer would be graded with other MSOs within the same Division and grade... ranking of CEP is done AFTER ranking officer's grade... Here's an example:

Step 1: Management looks at 3 reportees' profile. Ignore CEP for now.
Officer A: Age 26, MSO Grade V, super on the ball, involved in many projects
Officer B: Age 40, MSO Grade VI, efficient, +ve attitude, involved in few projects
Officer C: Age 55, MSO Grade VI, efficient, bocap attitude, did not involve in projects

Step 2: Management ranks officers according to performance grade
MSO Grade V:
Officer A only, rank #1, grade B

MSO Grade IV:
Officer B, rank #1, grade B
Officer C, rank #2, grade C-

Step 3: Management rank officers' CEP. Ignore Grade
Officer A: Age 26, MSO Grade V, CEP given: MSO Grade III
Officer B: Age 40, MSO Grade VI, CEP given: MSO Grade II
Officer C: Age 55, MSO Grade VI, CEP given: MSO Grade III

Step 4: Management ranks officers' CEP.
Rank 1: Officer B: Age 40, MSO Grade VI, CEP given: MSO Grade II
Rank 2: Officer A: Age 26, MSO Grade V, CEP given: MSO Grade III
Rank 3: Officer C: Age 55, MSO Grade VI, CEP given: MSO Grade III

If there is a situation when officers are of the same age-band, same grade, same work abilities... then we'll use their earlier performance grading to rank them for CEP...if they have the same performance grade, then we just toss a coin... lol...

DONE!!! Imagine when you have 200 officers... this ranking exercise can be a nightmare and could take several days to complete... do note that CEP is kept secret from the officer. For MX Scholars, they typically have a CEP of Superscale H or MX9 when they're at MX13, MX12, MX11. When they reach MX10, their CEP may be adjusted to Superscale G or higher depending on his age and abilities...

At the end of the day, pray hard that your boss fights for you during ranking exercise

Unregistered 06-04-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23234)

Me also from STE, on my 5th year already had 2 promotions and pay crosses 4.1K.

Bean 06-04-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23391)
Me also from STE, on my 5th year already had 2 promotions and pay crosses 4.1K.

my friend also from STE, also 5 years exp by july2012, also 2 promotion, got his M1 in 2011 july..and constantly B grader for 5 years, estimate salary after july increment = $4275...his starting is 2.9k in 2007 with 2nd lower....

How about you?
also 2nd lower??
always B grader??

I am always a C grader, even if i got promoted 2x to reach M1, my salary by this july will be only $3982 >>>no good!!

Dester 06-04-2012 03:31 PM

How % increment will a C grade people get at MX12??

Thanks

Unregistered 07-04-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23385)
you mean when you 1st join the ministry since fresh degree grad, you are being offer as a MX12??? not MX13??

Do you have any previous working exp?

Yes I have working exp before joining.

Unregistered 07-04-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23395)
my friend also from STE, also 5 years exp by july2012, also 2 promotion, got his M1 in 2011 july..and constantly B grader for 5 years, estimate salary after july increment = $4275...his starting is 2.9k in 2007 with 2nd lower....

How about you?
also 2nd lower??
always B grader??

I am always a C grader, even if i got promoted 2x to reach M1, my salary by this july will be only $3982 >>>no good!!

Me not even 2nd lower, after the initial it is all about your performance. Speak to your supervisor and ask what you need to do to get the next better grade and go ahead to do it. If you have acheive the agreed objective and perfromance set, then there is no reason for not getting the better grade (except others are even better than you).
So identify your "competition" and do better, unless it is limited by your abilities. Either expand your comfort zone or be content. Given the share option and now cash plan not that bad lah.

Unregistered 08-04-2012 12:45 AM

And serving work while at work.

Unregistered 08-04-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23457)
And serving work while at work.

I meant "stop surfing web while at work". :)

cslee 08-04-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23453)
Me not even 2nd lower, after the initial it is all about your performance. Speak to your supervisor and ask what you need to do to get the next better grade and go ahead to do it. If you have acheive the agreed objective and perfromance set, then there is no reason for not getting the better grade (except others are even better than you).
So identify your "competition" and do better, unless it is limited by your abilities. Either expand your comfort zone or be content. Given the share option and now cash plan not that bad lah.

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if STE is really that "stingy" they would have lost all good ppl to agencies like DSTA, A*star, mindef, MHA etc, given their "close relationships" with these agencies. Now, I understand what keep them in STE. Btw, there can never be cash or share options in government sector.

Unregistered 08-04-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 23462)
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if STE is really that "stingy" they would have lost all good ppl to agencies like DSTA, A*star, mindef, MHA etc, given their "close relationships" with these agencies. Now, I understand what keep them in STE. Btw, there can never be cash or share options in government sector.

The good ones are usually rewarded well, the not so good also don't get into the agency you mentioned. So make good use of the opportunity to learn somethings, frankly STE is a good platform for you to learn diff skill set as it has certain "freedom" at the job and opporunity to try out diff aspect of the job.
Sometime learning need not be directly teach, learn from the side when you have the chance to see and observed more senior staff handling customers and project. Ask after the event and usually they are willing to share why they do or say some stuff. From this experiences choose and pick the style you wanted and those you don't but learnt to handle them as these are very likely the situation you will meet later on in life.

Unregistered 08-04-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 23462)

Regarding share option:

Yes all staff after 1 year with this company can buy shares using 10% of their salary, the company will top up another 50% of the 10% you contribute to buy shares on monthly basis.

you will receive dividends as the company release dividends info in SGX.

all staff of the rank of senior engineer and below got the above shares scheme..

all those rank above senior engineer will get another type of scheme, but kind of fug up, need to wait for after 3 years to get the free shares given to you 3 years ago....is like delayed.....

Heard from my father that the old scheme is better, ie , you are give like few lots of shares to buy in at a maybe 30-50% discounted rate...

Exxon mobil also got similar scheme but not shares, they top up their salary 5% cash incentive similar like that...

Compare to MOE teacher, DXO....they also got like vesting scheme for them, like every 4 years they are entitled few K of lump sum to them, SAVER scheme to SAF officer, Retirement scheme to Senior police officer...etc....

Unregistered 24-04-2012 06:38 PM

i finally break 5k this year

grad in 2009