Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Service Merit Increment 2012 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1821-civil-service-merit-increment-2012-a.html)

Unregistered 03-06-2013 07:09 PM

366 merit increment is quite high. Is there any chance that you may be stuck at the bar? Cos you would need two successive C+ (from next year onwards) to cross the bar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38002)
Annual increment (i.e merit increment) depends on your current grade, Performance Grade and CEP.

Two MX 12s with same performance grade can get different merit increment because of their CEP. This is where you can know where you stand relative to your peers.

I got a promoted last year to MX 11. I got 366 MI as a 'C' grader for this year. Don't know my CEP. Maybe MX 10, maybe MX 9.

Unregistered 03-06-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38007)
366 merit increment is quite high. Is there any chance that you may be stuck at the bar? Cos you would need two successive C+ (from next year onwards) to cross the bar.

what would be the avg MI for MX11 C grader? 320?

Unregistered 03-06-2013 10:02 PM

The previous post just mentioned that it is 366 (based on a C grade). I know a B grade for MX 11 is around 450 to 470.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38013)
what would be the avg MI for MX11 C grader? 320?

Unregistered 03-06-2013 10:03 PM

what is the bar for MX 11? Close to 7K?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38017)
The previous post just mentioned that it is 366 (based on a C grade). I know a B grade for MX 11 is around 450 to 470.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38007)

Well the efficiency bar is about 6.7K. The info is in PacGOV. Just work hard will do. A 'C' grade is sufficient to cross the bar. For those not aware, the bar is there to prevent deadwood civil servants (if any) from getting the higher salaries in the higher grades. Of course if they can't cross the bar, they can forget getting promoted too.
Grades MX 11 and above has this bar. The lower grades don't.

I don't know what is the average MX 11 increment. You got to be on that grade for sometime to work it out.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 09:36 AM

C grade (to cross the bar) is attainable. I probably got confused with the promotion criteria, which is two successive C+.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38032)
Well the efficiency bar is about 6.7K. The info is in PacGOV. Just work hard will do. A 'C' grade is sufficient to cross the bar. For those not aware, the bar is there to prevent deadwood civil servants (if any) from getting the higher salaries in the higher grades. Of course if they can't cross the bar, they can forget getting promoted too.

I don't know what is the average MX 11 increment. You got to be on that grade for sometime to work it out.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 10:31 AM

Age factor aside, $366 for C grade @ MX 11 means still got future as CEP still got growth.

Anything below that, might be time to change plans.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38036)
Age factor aside, $366 for C grade @ MX 11 means still got future as CEP still got growth.

Anything below that, might be time to change plans.

Haha, i am in early 30's. Any CEP growth would be limited i would say. If there are good pte sector opportunities without getting pay cut, i could consider moving.

Frankly speaking MX's are relatively well paid, when compared to the average graduate worker. Personally, my expectation are rather modest.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 11:01 AM

what do you think is your CEP? MX 9?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38038)
Haha, i am in early 30's. Any CEP growth would be limited i would say. If there are good pte sector opportunities without getting pay cut, i could consider moving.

Frankly speaking MX's are relatively well paid, when compared to the average graduate worker. Personally, my expectation are rather modest.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38041)
what do you think is your CEP? MX 9?

Defiintely at least MX 10. If fortunate, probably MX 9. I have heard ppl thinking they have high CEPs in the beginning, promoting fast, etc, but end up getting stuck when they reach the higher grades. Then they start become disillusioned, not realising that they are relatively well paid.

I won't put too much hope on CEP thing.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38038)

Well, CEP does not stagnate until a certain age or if your management is being stingy. Hence, when you get to MX 10, your CEP will likely still shift up 1 grade at least. Based on that $366 C grade increment, there are good chances to reach the apex of non-scholar tiers by retirement time (usually around MX 8 or 9).

Nothing fancy for our line of work, but its comfortable I guess.

cslee 04-06-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38032)

I'm trying to figure out what this bar means. Let's say someone got MI until 6.8K that just cross this 6.7K bar. Does it mean he/she would get promoted to MX10 automatically? Based on this theory, the promotion increment would be roughly the same or just slightly above normal MI.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 38078)
I'm trying to figure out what this bar means. Let's say someone got MI until 6.8K that just cross this 6.7K bar. Does it mean he/she would get promoted to MX10 automatically? Based on this theory, the promotion increment would be roughly the same or just slightly above normal MI.

Crossing the bar is not a promotion. In the case for MX11 if the officer gets a MI until 6.8K, it means he has crossed the efficiency bar. He is still a MX 11 but drawing a salary at the higher end of the salary range for MX11's.

He stands a better chance of getting promoted to MX 10 vs someone who can't cross the bar. If the officer after crossing the bar can't get promoted to MX 10 for whatever reasons, then he will get his increment until he reaches the salary ceiling for MX 11.

cslee 04-06-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38083)
Crossing the bar is not a promotion. In the case for MX11 if the officer gets a MI until 6.8K, it means he has crossed the efficiency bar. He is still a MX 11 but drawing a salary at the higher end of the salary range for MX11's.

He stands a better chance of getting promoted to MX 10 vs someone who can't cross the bar. If the officer after crossing the bar can't get promoted to MX 10 for whatever reasons, then he will get his increment until he reaches the salary ceiling for MX 11.

Let's say conversely a younger MX11 last drawn is at <$6K (yet to cross bar). If he or she is promoted to MX10, his/her likely pay would be ~6.4K+? i.e. the beginning range of MX10

As compared to another older MX11's last drawn at $6.8K (cross-bar), he/she would likely get ~$7.3+K if promoted to MX10.

In this case, which MX (younger or older) would likely have a higher CEP?

Unregistered 04-06-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 38086)
Let's say conversely a younger MX11 last drawn is at <$6K (yet to cross bar). If he or she is promoted to MX10, his/her likely pay would be ~6.4K+? i.e. the beginning range of MX10

As compared to another older MX11's last drawn at $6.8K (cross-bar), he/she would likely get ~$7.3+K if promoted to MX10.

In this case, which MX (younger or older) would likely have a higher CEP?

The scenario you drawn suggest that the younger mx 11 cep higher. Quite obvious since he get promoted at an earlier age vs the older one. The increment quantum for the younger mx11 could well be higher too. If the younger mx11 after adding his promotion increment and merit increment can't hit mx10 minimum pt, he will be given the minimum pt mx10 salary. Such instances are very very rare

cslee 04-06-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38089)
The scenario you drawn suggest that the younger mx 11 cep higher. Quite obvious since he get promoted at an earlier age vs the older one. The increment quantum for the younger mx11 could well be higher too. If the younger mx11 after adding his promotion increment and merit increment can't hit mx10 minimum pt, he will be given the minimum pt mx10 salary. Such instances are very very rare

Ok, thanks for good sharing. Roughly, I understand how this bar thing works....

Unregistered 04-06-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38017)

470 is pretty good for MI!

Unregistered 06-06-2013 06:14 PM

someone who is MX11 got ard $480 MI.. so much more than a C grader

Unregistered 14-10-2013 11:25 AM

Hi I am wondering what will be the annual increment for local polytechnic graduates? What % increase with what rank?

lordlad 14-10-2013 03:22 PM

all these MX grading and leveling confused the hell out of me....i am lucky i am in private sector...though admittedly private sector's payscale differs from company to company, and even department to department and is much less 'standardised'........at least it is not structured like in the military (an archaic organisation that i despised but it's another story for another day)...

Unregistered 14-10-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 43821)
Hi I am wondering what will be the annual increment for local polytechnic graduates? What % increase with what rank?

My increment after 1 year only $106 like that...

Unregistered 16-10-2013 10:16 AM

does anyone know what's the typical timeline for males wif NS to hit MX10 ?

i was promoted to MX11 this year (am 29 yo)

Unregistered 16-10-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 43891)

you 2nd upper or 1st class??

how much is your salary now at MX11? 5.5k?

Unregistered 18-10-2013 04:22 PM

There is no typical timeline. It depends on your CEP. Some have been MX 11s for a long long time and haven't got promoted yet. Some got promoted to Grade 10 in 4-5 years.

I presume you got a B grade for promotion to MX 11 this year. What was your increment (Annual Increment + Promotional Increment)? Your increment tells a story...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 43891)

Unregistered 19-10-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44026)
There is no typical timeline. It depends on your CEP. Some have been MX 11s for a long long time and haven't got promoted yet. Some got promoted to Grade 10 in 4-5 years.

I presume you got a B grade for promotion to MX 11 this year. What was your increment (Annual Increment + Promotional Increment)? Your increment tells a story...

wat can be derived from my MI ?

yes, i got a 'B'

can i confirm that the fastest possible climb to MX10 will take 3 years ?

2013 - C/C+ (understand that the year aft promo will be a default C ?)
2014 - B
2015 - B
2016 - promotion to MX10

Unregistered 19-10-2013 11:29 AM

Unless u are a scholar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44048)

yes, i got a 'B'

2014 - B
2015 - B
2016 - promotion to MX10

Unregistered 19-10-2013 03:04 PM

1 year promote 1 rank? KNNBCCB ok.
You may as well say promote to Prime Minister MX1 in 10 years.

Unregistered 22-10-2013 10:00 AM

climbing to MX 10 (or its equivalent) within 3 years is near to impossible, even for the average scholars. Only top scholars may get such achievements.

Guess your CEP, what is it? MX 9, 8? Grades 9 above are already superscalers. That is about the top 10% of civil servants. Assume your CEP is Grade 8 which is very very high. That will be 3 promotions from your current grade 11. This means 3 promotions spread out in 28+ years. Do you think you will get MX 10 in 3 years?

Your annual merit increment gives a gauge to your CEP. Yours the year immediately after promotion will be an automatic C grade, unless you screw up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44048)

yes, i got a 'B'

2014 - B
2015 - B
2016 - promotion to MX10

Unregistered 23-10-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44204)
climbing to MX 10 (or its equivalent) within 3 years is near to impossible, even for the average scholars. Only top scholars may get such achievements.

Guess your CEP, what is it? MX 9, 8? Grades 9 above are already superscalers. That is about the top 10% of civil servants. Assume your CEP is Grade 8 which is very very high. That will be 3 promotions from your current grade 11. This means 3 promotions spread out in 28+ years. Do you think you will get MX 10 in 3 years?

Your annual merit increment gives a gauge to your CEP. Yours the year immediately after promotion will be an automatic C grade, unless you screw up.

im kinda worried now

is the bar for MX11 8k ? im already near the 7k mark. what happens if i hit 8k and still cant be promoted cos it's too soon ?

Unregistered 24-10-2013 09:31 AM

Go check your pacgov salary details. It states the salary ceiling for salary range.
How old are you?
If you were the previous forummer, i.e age 29, i am surprised that you are having such a high civil service salary, near to 7K. If so, then you are probably having a very good CEP to boot, and could on the path of being appointed on the AO track, if not on the Public Service Leader scheme. You should know best.

If you are say, late 30's/40's chances are that you may get promoted in a few years time. The CEP given to an officer affects his annual increment and it attempts to smoothen out his salary increase across the years. Chances are, when you hit your ceiling, you could be well placed to get promoted to the next grade, provided there are vacancies. Mature organisations (both govt and private) may have a problem to promote officers to higher grades, simply because there are enough positions that can hold higher grade officers. I suggest that you continue to work hard or at least remember that you are paid to work hard. I have seen many officers who are hitting their salary ceiling start to slack. Improper.

Back to CEP. If your CEP is super high to begin with, then you will reach your salary ceiling sooner than later since annual increments will be higher for the same peformance grade. If there are not enough higher grade posts, then what can happen is that you will have no salary increments until you get promoted. That said, if your CEP is super high, probably your progression chart has already been laid out. Don't need to worry so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44284)
im kinda worried now

is the bar for MX11 8k ? im already near the 7k mark. what happens if i hit 8k and still cant be promoted cos it's too soon ?